Thread: traps....

br808 is offline New Member

traps....

well bros everything is going good with my workout but i just cant seem to get my traps to stand up like i want them too. Anyone got a serious trap exercise or something of that sort. Currently i incorporate traps with my shoulders and do 4 sets of barbell shrugs up to 195lbs and 4 sets of dumbell shrugs up to 80lbs each arm..... I dont know what else to do.

BIG-G is offline Banned
    Since i have a 20" neck (flexed) and goldberg sized traps ill share my trap exersises with ya,,,,First i start off with the bar warmin up with 135 for about 30 reps, that gets em pumped full of blood (the perpetual pump). A second warm up with 225 for about 20-30, these reps are fast paced allowing more reps in the same amount of time. NEXT i start the acual sets, these next few r done with a bit of momenum but squeezing at the very top digging into the back of the neck, keep ur tempo high thru the whole set untill the pump is pain!! wait a few and do the next few sets with increasing weight untill u can only squeeze about 5-6 reps top. This gives the traps fullness due to the high pump warm up and the real heavy sets for that mass and strength. Throw in the dumbells after with GOOD FORM and squeese em towards the back to get all of the traps (they go into ur middle back). UR neck wont be able to move for a few days, might even trigger a headache or 2, just keep the protein to a minnimum of 1g per body pound and stretch em out when their soor so u dont "lock" up. GOOD LUCK on the goldberg look! BIG-G (will post my pic soon)

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    br808,

Try going heavier on your barbell shrugs, or try hanging cleans.
    hanging cleans are done with a slightly wider than shoulder grip. Start with the bar at waist level like you wold a barbell curl, pull the bar straight up concetrating on keeping your elbows high (If you do not keep your elbows high the bar will get away from your body and travel in an arc resembling a reverse grip curl) pull hard and fast from the bottom position. When the bar gets to shoulder level snap your elbows under the bar.
    Go light with these til you get the form down try 3 sets of 8-10 reps to start out. when your comfortable with the movement increase the weight and lower your reps to the 6-8 range.

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 01-01-2003 at 12:38 PM.

FKITLETSGO is offline Senior Member
    Use the Row machine to hit your trapezius from a different angle. the 90 degree angle will tear into new fibers and induce strecthing which indirectly leads to growth

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I'm a fan of using the dead lift machine's for the traps. It's more like a dumbbell shrug, cause your palms are facing your side, but you can throw more weight on there and really squeeze (damn is that spelled right ?? looks funny) at the top.

br808 is offline New Member
    thanks for the help bros

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I like Dumbell Shrugs using an Incline Bench. It better isolates the traps. Most people I show this to agree.

Get an Incline Bench and put it at an almost verticle angle - it's highest setting. Make sure it is either fixed to the floor or you rig up some kind of anchor. Lean with your cest against the top portion of the Bench and begin.

Your traps are on top of your back so this puts you at an angle to better isolate IMO.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I have pretty big traps for my size and I only do 3 sets a week of 4-6 reps. My traps get hit hard during deadlifts as well.

BIG-G is offline Banned
    THE CHAIN AROUND MY NECK IS 20" !!!! "TRAPZILLA"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails traps....-227-remake.jpg.jpg  

newguy2003 is offline New Member
    big g you look like a hardass haha

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    Power cleans always work for me thats more like a full body work out barbell shrugs work best for me i do them heavy and hard hey big-g have you ever used a neck belt to build up your neckbut lookin good bro

BIG-G is offline Banned
    A couple other gyms had the neck machine but not this one. I do a lot of isobearics with it but mostly from gritting and squeesing to do h-weight. Went to the dentist and he asked me how long ive been lifting, i said why, cause ALL my bottom teeth were grinded down from squeesing when doin h-weight! BIG-G

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Upright rows work for me.

Thread Information