xplicit is offline Member

How much and How effective can the ab ball be?

Are they as effective as tradional ab excises? I heard just sitting on them and rocking your body a little bit is great for your stomach, that would be great ifs it true i get madden 03 going sitting on that, play a cd on the computer, download a few movies and get a nice ab workout while kicking ass in my franchise with the giants, thats a pretty dam productive hour if you ask me lol. When i have a big lead I play ball control and run the clock down and in that time i do sit ups lol.

Back to the ball where can i get one and how much they run for? Aslo how big are they suppose to be, im 5'10 175 so what would be the right size for me. Do they come with a book showing all the different excises i can do with the ball?

Thanks for the help?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    You talkin about the big blow up Physio Balls ?? Those things work wonders I think for both abs & lower back. I believe they come with a chart that shows exercises. If not, when you get one, I can show you some.

I forget where you can order them from. Someone once posted a site a long time ago on the board.

Aha, here's one place. Just goto any search engine and type in theraband physio ball or gym ball.

http://www.gymball.com/pricelist.html

I use them in the gym when i go and i like them a lot. I heard they even work just sitting on them and moving a little bit, If i get one for my room to sit on while i go on the computer and play madden ill be happy cause i must put at least 2 hours a day into those 2 things.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    They're a good tool. They could be used for countless exercises. Recovery work with a Stability ball is a main part of my and many other powerlifters programs. One word of caution - If you're gonna do weighted exercises like DB presses be sure you use an anti-burst ball. I've had a ball pop on me while in the middle of a set using 100 lb DBs.

xxxl83

If i got a ball i would use it strickly for ab workouts cause i dont have any weights at home, but thanks for the heads. How did you manage not to crack your head up when that ball poped?

Also is this a new thing, doing weight excises for muscles on the ball? I seen a trainer doing a cross over cable laying on a ball for chest in the gym. I never seen anyone use that ball for that in there before.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been using mine for over a year. Wow those things are great. I saw this article last year in MD and they were the best thing for abs according to some study. I'll see is I can find that issue

Ron how much they go for and where can i get them? Can i get them at a models sporting goods store or i have to order them online? If i run a yahoo search for them what is the technical name for the ab ball?

xplicit,

No. using the ball for weighted exercises isn't new it's just most gym people think they know it all already and, aren't open to new ideas and inovations. And for not smashing my head, I got lucky one of the DBs did land right on my chest and that didn't feel good to say the least.

Oh yeah and if you decide to try something like DB presses with the ball it takes a little coordination so practice getting into position with out weights first. Then start light. The easiest way to do this is to sit on the ball. Then push your but down and lean back so the ball rolls under your back and head you will have to support your lower body with your legs. When your done with the set push with your legs and pull your torso up as the ball rolls back under your but putting you back in the sitting position. (I normally do this as a feeder workout to help recovery the day after ME (maximum effort) bench day 3-4 sets 25-30 reps.) If you want more info check out www.elitefts.com search the Q&A section. There's also an article somewhere in the articles section.

xxxl83

You can also purchase them from www.elitefts.com

xxxl83

newguy2003 is offline New Member
    i do abs and push ups on my mine i can never really get enough

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    xplicit,
    You can get them anywhere bro. Wallmart, target, big 5, ect ect....There pretty cheap I've seen them anywhere from $5- $25

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    i think I am goimg to get one seens I works good

http://www.modells.com/product/index...entPage=search

Does anyone know if this a good ball??

For $15.00 how can you go wrong? Just remember it's not an antiburst ball and it's only rated for 600 lbs. For your personal home use it should be just fine.

xxxl83

Well as long as i dont apply more then 600 pounds of pressure it wont burst right?

Probably not but I'd try not to go over 500 just to be safe.

xxxl83

I dont have weights at home so its basically going to be striclty for abs maybe ill do some push ups on it but thats about it. XXXL83 you know any good ab workout i can do with the ball any sites to go to ? I dont know if it will come with a book to show me any excises.

I just got a ball its got only 300 pounds of pressure thats all they had. Im 175 but im hopin if i do push ups on it i wont break it.

tatty is offline Member
    I've had this ball for a while, but never got around to using it. Anyone have any ab exercises that they can show or lead me to a site with diagrams?

Andy is offline Associate Member
    Ab workouts on those smoke the traditional sit-up IMO.
    I can max out at 25 reps with a ball w/ natural weight only

Andy is offline Associate Member

oops

The way I do sit-ups on it to keep stability is.

1. sit on top of ball and roll slightly forwar so that you are close 1/2 to ground or so
    2. lay back stretching out abs then do reps --

Also

Great isolation exericise

1. Place an olympic bar across a coulple 5lb plates making it look like a scale on the floor
    2. Evenly place your grip on each side of the olympic bar. (meaning you will have to apply even pressure to each side to keep bar from touching floor on any one side.
    3. place ankles on top of ball and assume push-up position.
    4. Dont do reps. Slightly bend elbows and hold the position keeping bar level w/o touching floor.
    5 On next rep bend arms jus a lil more. etc... etc... etc...

I love doing this after a good chest workout.

Ive tried a few of those that you mentioned Andy and they i feel it in my stomach

Thread Information