iwannaknow is offline New Member

Question Proper foot positioning for targetting inner calves?

hey boysssssss

anyone know the proper foot positioning (straight, inward,...) for targetting the inner calves, like on the same side of the leg as the instep? i hope i'm making sense... my calves are pretty defined on the whole but the inner parts are really small and disproportionate. they make me look bow-legged, know what i mean? UUUUUUUUGH

and on the side, i've heard a lot of guys talk about doing calf exercises to failure, but isn't that bad? won't doing them to failure ultimately shrink them? or is it me...

anyways, i'd appreciate some advice! thx

BIG-G is offline Banned
    Well ive asked this question myself and every answer i got was as follows: theres only one calf muscle attached to the achilles tendon so pointing ur toes whichever way doesnt actually matter. But u are supposed to work em to COMPETE failure inducing a high and powerful pump. Ur calves r designed to work all day long so u gotta hit em HARD!!

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    BIG-G is correct however, you can put a bit more stress on outer heads by turning toes in, or inter head by turning heels in. Here is good workout that is fast and you will not be able to walk if you do it right.

Pick a weight you can get 20-25 reps, do them, wait just long enought so the burn starts to stop, then go again, do as many as you can. repeat this until you get to 100 reps, sounds simple and easy, but it's not and it works, almost like rest pause calf training.

skid is offline Banned
    silverfox: I've never heard of the 100-rep method ... I'm game for trying it tho ... but what's the guideline for increasing the weight over time?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Same at most exercises, you get stronger over time, i train calves EOD, 1 day w'/ this method next day more tradional. So they basicly get trained 2x week. Key is very short rest, and by 3-4 set you be doing well to get 10-12 reps, red fibre (high rep) will only grow so much, so by end of sets your also hitting white fibres, which have even more growth. However bigest ratio in calves for most in red fibre. I been doing this for a bit and my calves are in 19" range so works well for me.

iwannaknow is offline New Member
    thanks guys.

i have another related question...

so it's good for the calves to work them to failure because they're designed for hard work... what about other muscle groups, like biceps, tris, quads, etc., should a person ever work those to failure or is that not good a good idea?

just curious

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    I train all of my muscle groups to failure. From a personal standpoint, I wouldn't consider it any other way. The difference, though, is the rest period of different training days. My bicep workout, for example, can be done every 3rd or 4th day. (One or two days rest in between). My leg routine, on the other hand, requires a longer rest period--most often once a week. You'll have to be the judge on the number of days you choose to rest between your workouts. I've found with myself, that overtime, I've had to increase the consistency of training days...in other words, less time resting between days.
    -zzo

Thread Information