FlipB is offline New Member

New work out... tell me what you think

I just decided to change up my work out today. I have been doing a 3 day program in which I was doing chest/tris, back/bi's, legs/shoulders. Well I thought it was time for a change to shock my muscles and put on some size and strength. Here goes.
    Monday: Chest
    Barbell Bench Press:4 sets
    Dumbell incline:3 sets
    Dumbell Decline:3 sets
    Cables C.O:3 sets

Tuesday: Back
    Wide grip Pullups:3 sets
    Pullovers:3 sets
    Wide-grip Cable Rows:3 sets
    Bent over Rows: 3 sets

Wednesday: Shoulders
    Military press:3 sets
    Front raises:3 sets
    Overhead Dumbell Press:3 sets
    Bent over Reverse flies:3 sets

Thursday:Bi's and Tri's
    Dumbell curls:3 sets
    Preacher Curls: 3 sets
    Hammer curls:3 sets
    Push Downs:3 sets
    Over head Dumbell:3 sets
    Incline Nose breakers:3 sets

Friday:Legs
    Lunges:2 sets
    Up and down basketball court w/weights 2x
    Leg extensions: 3 sets
    Leg curls:3 sets

The reason for the meager leg work out is due to a lower back injury I had a while back that seems to get irritated by leg presses and squats. I also do abs every other day as an end of the work out type thing. I plan on starting my 1st cycle in a month or two. So what do you all think? gimmie your opinions.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    IMO - you need a Leg Press or Squat added to your leg workout - something that allows a heavy load to initiate the workout and push your legs harder. Personally I would never do a leg workout without either one. Lunges or hack Squats could come second. Followed by Extensions and then Ham Curls.

Because of the fiber type in the Quadriceps you should work at a higher rep range (8-12 for strength, 12-18 for hypertrophy). Hams are more fast twitch in make up and in contrast need to be worked with low reps (5-8 for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy). But Quads need more. Same with calves. Calves simply won't respond well at under 40 seconds of continuos tension.

FlipB is offline New Member
    Thanks, but is there any way of avoiding lower back tension while doing either? I mean doing leg presses the other day I could tell the next day that i had slightly reaggrivated my lower back pain.

You need to be sure to train your core. Work your abdominal and lower back a little harder. If your core is weak - your bodybuilding future could be very limited. The fact that you have pain in lower back from doing Leg Presses means you are either performing the movement incorrectly or you have a weak core. Also: WEAR A BELT ON LEG AND BACK DAYS TO SUPPORT YOUR LOWER VERTEBRATE.

Also, I do Leg Presses with a very close stance a little bit forward to target quadriceps - this can take stress off the hamstrings and glutes (also lower back). People I show this too for Squats (using a Smith Rack to keep balance) notice right away the relief from back pain. But be careful. By taking the Hams and Glutes out of the movement you create a pull on your knees (its not a natural movement for the quads to take so much of a load - the reason you can't do this for Squats using free weight - only on a Smith rack) that can lead to a rather painful grinding sound in the joint... so go close enough, and forward enough to take tension off your back - but stay with in reason. I went very close, very deep and quite far forward and developed knee problems that caused me to lay off legs for about 6-7 weeks. So i went too far the other direction

1. Use a closer leg postitioning (12-18 inches)
    2. Move your stance forward off your verticle plane (so you drop almost like sitting on a chair)
    3. Wear a lifting belt

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I would move the leg day to weds. That way you have a full day inbetween for upper body recovery.
    Mon: chest
    Tues: back
    Weds: Legs
    Thurs: shoulders and traps
    Fri: bi's and tri's

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    Your form is wrong if leg presses r hurting your lower back. The big mistake i see mad all the time is people curl their back at the bottom of the movement, which lifts their ass off of the seat. Concentrate on just using your legs and stop when u get your legs as close to your chest as u can ( DON'T CURL YOUR BACK). Start light and get the form down, then start increasing the wt.

Personally, I don't think a leg workout is complete without squats, but with a lower back injury I'd lay off of them for a little while.

Thread Information