SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member

Light resistance exercise between workouts?

I don't know what this is called, I remember seeing it mentioned a couple times before in different places, but just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. Say I work a bodypart every 5 days. Not on those workout days, but the day(s) in the middle, what if I do some very light and high rep resistance motions for that bodypart? Not a lot, just a couple sets to get the blood going. Maybe some pushups, a few pullups, etc. Does this help or hinder anything? I suspect it actually helps me get stronger- but it oculd be psychological too, who knows. Is there any evidence or experience pointing one way or the other?

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Im pretty sure it would be a good shock routine to use if youre not getting results.
    Look at arnolds routine, its constantly overtraining and it worked for him.Granted, he did have killer genetics, but youll never know until you try it yourself.
    Personally and ideally I would let it rest fully.
    But try it for a few weeks is my advice if curiosity is your game.
    Good luck

yellows2k is offline Member
    I don't see why you want to add more resistance training on days where your muscles will be recuperating. For me, I find that constant overload is what works best, heavy weights low reps, excellent form and plenty of rest.

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Hmm... I hadn't thought of it as a shock thing, but perhaps that was the case and why I thought it was good. Maybe useful as a short term thing... but I'm trying to remember where I saw this as a useful training thing to get over stagnation. Grr... I hate when you can't remember stuff!

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    It's called a feeder workout and it's used to help with recovery.
    It's light weight, high reps for a minimal number of sets (1-3). It's used to help "feed" the muscles fresh blood and, nurients to speed recovery.

xxxl83

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I use 3 different intensities for my workouts under my current split. Each requiring a different amount of rest depending on bodypart size and training intensity.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm squarely with xxxl83 on this one. It's been my experience that after a particularly devastating chest workout, I can speed recovery (if and ONLY if a dramatic shortening of the soreness period is indicative of recovery) if two or three days after the fact I go through a very light, very concentrated workout consisting of 3 sets of chest or so. This seems to work with every muscle save for quads, for which it appears only to serve as an agitator of sorts.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would only do this as something to shock your muscles. IMO I personally feel best when I get a full weeks rest into my body. But everyones body is different.

Pain

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    I agree with painintheazz on this one. My body needs a substantial rest time before hitting it again.

scruples is offline New Member
    sounds like active recovery

i know there's a lot of information on AR over at elite

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    I would only do this as something to shock your muscles. IMO I personally feel best when I get a full weeks rest into my body. But everyones body is different.
    I agree

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I also agree with Will...I workout each bodypart 1 time every 7 days.....the biceps get a little work with my back workout, and my triceps get a little work with my chest workout..etc etc..I feel that this is all I need..but that is for my own recovery...You need to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Thread Information