Thread: GVT and triceps

cblax2000 is offline New Member

GVT and triceps

A questiuon for those of u that have used GVT, which tricep exersise did u think was the most effective to do for 10 sets? I tried doing dips like the workout said but I don't feel like I get as much out of them compared to most tricep exersises. I feel it more in my chest. If vets of the GVT method could post the 3rd day workout (arms and shoulders) that would be very helpful. I was thinking of maybe skull crushers or close-grip bench? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Skull Crushers, Close Grip Bench and Weighted Dips are all good options. The key is to pick a heavy free weight movement - unless using Poliquin's suggestions that include an isolation movement... that one supporting movement should be less compound. And never neglect the proper rest intervals and tempo to assure you hit the adrenelin pump that GVT provides.

If you don't feel the dips be sure you are keeping your form correct. Your body should be perpendicular to the floor, elbows tucked in, and use parallel bars. Begin with the correct percent of 1RM load.

I will normally use a stack of nickle plates to keep track of sets and watch the clock second hand for my next rotation. And I most often use Close Grip Bench Press and Tricep Exentions (Skull Crushers) for triceps.

GVT by Poliquin

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    bump GVT good read, BTW haven't seen you for a little bit warrior!!

Pain

Thanks for the advice, btw why is the tempo so important when utilizing GVT? A 4 second negative for the major exersises is a little longer than I usual for me. I try to keep the correct tempo, sometimes I forget, just wondering what the benefits are of the 4-0-2 tempo. Thanks

One more thing Warrior, do u follow Poliquins GVT to the T or do u change it up a lot. If u have time could u post a sample GVT workout that u have changed up a little. I want to fit in a clean and press on the arms and shoulders day, just wondering how u would do that. THanks for the help

Originally posted by cblax2000
    Thanks for the advice, btw why is the tempo so important when utilizing GVT? A 4 second negative for the major exersises is a little longer than I usual for me. I try to keep the correct tempo, sometimes I forget, just wondering what the benefits are of the 4-0-2 tempo. Thanks
    You have to realize that GVT is not some commercal friendly workout program. It is a tried and true training method from the Eastern European Bloc that enabled their athletes to jump weight classes quickly - and improve strength. Changing it in any way will change how it works. So stick to what the East Bloc coaches outlined, or Charles Poliquins interpretations unless you are very familiar with it and how it works.

I personally am using it as a light workout intensity for a certain bodypart. And I use the 10 sets, 10 reps method for that bodypart and that is it. If I do not use the correct tempo, RI's, or load (most common is to go to heavy - 60 percent 1RM is all it takes and add to it for subsiquent weeks... it is easy to go up 10lbs on a flat bench press every week) - I find I will not hit the adrenelin release (an immediate supercompesation) on the 6-7th set. I also have found that when using GVT for Back or Chest days that allowing a little more than 60 seconds - more like 90, produces better results.

I basically use the Advanced Trainee program in Poliquin's article for "light" days. However, GVT is anything but light - but compared to a strength day using Positions of Flexion or a Holistic day - GVT is much simpler to do. And I very my intensities. But 10 sets, 10 reps, flat pyramid in a short time has a very high power factor for that workout... for that bodypart.

Originally posted by painintheazz
    bump GVT good read, BTW haven't seen you for a little bit warrior!!

Pain
    Yeah - putting in a litte OT before I jump back in school Weekends are a little easier to jump on AR right now...

Thread Information