Thread: Morning Weights

MrPerfect is offline Junior Member

Morning Weights

I searched "morning" cause i was trying to find opinions on what you guys think about weight training when you wake up but all I found were post about cardio in the morning. I work long hours at my job and it would be a better time of the day for me to go to the gym in the morning but on the same principle that morning cardio works I fear weight training in the morning would be self defeating, due to the catabolic state when you first wake up would the muscle break down right in the morning only hinder my gains?? what do you guys think?

MP

TheGame826 is offline Member
    last year i worked out everyday in the morning and at night. personally i treated the morning workout as sort of a warmup for the workout at night. its alot harder to work out in the morning, and personally i felt weaker in the morning, id be able to put up more weight for more reps later at night. but as long as you keep yourself motivated and you have a big full breakfast the morning workouts arent so bad.

yellows2k is offline Member
    Well if you leave for work at lets say 8. You might wanna wake up at 5, eat a good meal. Wait an hour then go work out from 6am to 7am or 730am. Then come home, shower,eat your post workout then leave for work at 8. and yes it will hinder your gains.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    MrPerfect,

I've done early morning workouts lately (5:30 AM). It's a pain in the ass to kick yourself out of bed that early (if you're not already used to it) and then get a workout in also.

I found it psychologically rewarding though. It makes for a good start to a day, and you don't have to worry about it later.

Physically it's not so rewarding. Your body is in a catabolic state that early so it's a real bitch to get it running properly. If you're training first thing in the morning you can kiss the majority of your pumps goodbye. However, fueling the body with a simple carb (dextrose) + glutamine + ALA mix while working out can help with that. An ECA stack, or more simply, caffeine by itself, can help overcome early morning catabolism as well. But you will not be maximing for mass by training early. It could help you cut up, if that's what you're looking for.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Polska; 01-29-2003 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks bros, its just what i figured. I'm glad you have some experience with it Polska, what kind of body type do you have? and did it cut you up since thats what you think its good for? have you been able to add anything to your lifts? cause if i don't get a good feeeling about this i guess i will just have to keep going late

MP

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Morning workouts are good, as long as like Yellow said, wake up eat and wait 30 or so minutes, workout, post shake, than eat and go to work. it also helps raise your metabolism a bit for the day.

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    I workout in the morning since I don't have any choice (I work second shift- so realize 'morning' means after I get up). I work out about two hours after i wake up, so it's not so bad. Enough time to wake up a bit! I've gotten used to it...

Yung Wun is offline Member
    nothing wrong with working out in the morning just remember
    dont go on empty make sure you fill up before the workout to prevent going in a catabolic state

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by MrPerfect
    Thanks bros, its just what i figured. I'm glad you have some experience with it Polska, what kind of body type do you have? and did it cut you up since thats what you think its good for? have you been able to add anything to your lifts? cause if i don't get a good feeeling about this i guess i will just have to keep going late
    I am an ecto with a fast metabolism, so it's relatively easy for me to drop weight. So in that regard, yes it has cut me up. And I have been able to add to my lifts, although at a slower rate than I usually would.

Unfortunately for me the only time I can train is right in the morning, as soon as I get up. So I am usually at the gym by 6 AM. This leaves me no time in the morning to eat, and you should, as Yung Wun said to deter catabolism. I have been able to do it by adding a thermogenic upon waking up and then drinking an amino acid + simple carb mixture (water/gatorade/dextrose) to fuel the work out.
    You should finish eating approximately 1.5-2 hours before you train, so if you have time in the morning to eat some complex carbs it would benefit you in the gym. I don't have that luxury and feel sluggish while working out, but my strength is still there.

Be aware that you can expect to feel pretty shitty about early morning training when you first start. It will take your body a few weeks to get used to the change. This is why I did a 3 week D-Bol bridge (10mg upon waking up) while getting adjusted to my new routine. It has also helped me maintain LBM while burning off excess fat due to the overnight carb fast.
    Last edited by Polska; 01-30-2003 at 01:29 PM.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Well i gain about 40lbs in year working out in AM, key is to get up and eat enought to be able to train right. Then rest of day, all the food goes into recovery and growth. Few things that work good, pancakes, freeze them put them in toaster and eat, add about 1cup of oats to your shake in morning that type of thing, you want a few simple and complex carbs, plus protien.

This is great! thanks bros, this makes life a lot easier. Morning workouts it is .. I was just worried about the catabolic state as i said ... but hey Silverfox .. 40 pounds was all the assurance I need ...thanks all

MP

yellows2k is offline Member
    Working out in the AM isn't the problem. You gotta eat before you go train, NOT on an empty stomach.

Andy is offline Associate Member
    I have a response that disagrees with everyone here. I AM NOT saying my way is correct all I am saying is that what I am doing is different. But this post has me thinking about it.

Anyways I started 4 weeks ago going at 6am to 730 b4 school. I have a partner who is great, we meet up everymorning.

However I never eat before I go, as I have found when I do, Early morn workouts are impossible for me, so I always pig out from 7:30 to 8:30 before school and after my workout.

Now what you guys are saying about eating first makes complete sense to me ,but I have never had such good results with a w/o plan. And every day we go, we like getting up even more. Although I have to admit that first week was really dayum tough on me, but now its the bomb.

So the morale of my story is. maybe eating after your morning workout isnt terrible as it seems. Anyways --

Thread Information