Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Post Wave Loading for Big Triceps

For those who suffer from elbow pains doing heavy Tricep Extensions - I had an ephiphemy!

I was reading about wave loading from Charles Poliquin... and got the best results using it on a Triceps strength day.

Personally I have to warm up for Tricep Extensions with out about 3-4 light sets before using anything remotely heavy to avoid elbow pain flaring up. Doing Close Grip benches or Weighted Dips before doesn't really help it any. But Wave loading helps a lot - so I'll share with ya'll

Wave loading is like a double-double pyramid. You increase the load over multiple waves... let's say your 1RM for Tricep Extensions is 165lbs - you could apply Wave Loading like this:

Note: rep numbers and loads are totally fictional and would depend on your muscle make up - so if you do use 165 as a 1RM - these loads are not necessarily accurate and obvously depend on your goals. This is for instructionl purposes only .

This way keeps the sets down to 8...

Set 1: 105lbs - 18 reps
    Set 2: 115lbs - 15 reps
    Set 3: 125lbs - 12 reps
    Set 4: 135lbs - 10 reps
    Set 5: 115lbs - 18 reps
    Set 6: 125lbs - 15 reps
    Set 7: 135lbs - 12 reps
    Set 8: 145lbs - 10 reps

On the second wave the blood is localized and the connective tissue is warmed up and you are able to recruit more from the Triceps - which makes you stronger on the second wave.

If you are prone to elbow pain - try it. It works for this braddah!

Big_BoneZ is offline Associate Member
    WArrior My max is 150, but I do DEEP down complete reps with spot and I can do 4 before I need a spot, your wave kinda makes sense, but is it really practical...

i mean if you calculate the tonnage that you are lifting... its a LOT, you gotta so Tri's/Bi's that day... U cant do it with any other body part now can you?

If you stop at the first wave - have you really fatigued your triceps? Not if you can still increase the resistance on the second wave.

So by theory, working in the second wave allows you to smash the triceps more if you are limited by some sensitvity on the first wave.

But yes, I tried to post the example using fewer sets. For most advanced bodybuilders it should be fine with another 5-7 sets of additional supporting exercises. Personally, I do this because why would I want to stop extensions if I am just getting warmed up? That's my rationalization...

And most are able to continue on to another bodypart. I guess it would depend on what you have found works for you - given your genetics and extrenal factors like diet and supplements. And this is a basic example - you can make the waves fewer (or more) sets - whateva works best for you... work off the theory using waves and see if it works for you... add or use less for your stage of development.

My favorite Tricep strength (training through positions of flexion) days start with Close Grip Bench Presses, Wave loading Cambered Bar Incline Extensions (like the upward angle so I can watch my form in the mirror periodically) and finishing with Standing Machine Rope Extensions. Takes me about 45-50 mikes.

I pair up intensities. I might move on to a GVT light day for Biceps or whatever other bodypart is rested and ready for a new hit. Hitting Triceps like this on a POF strength workout and then nailing Biceps with GVT (10 sets, 10 reps, flat pyramid, 60 second RI's) gets me out sweating, arms pumped and out of the gym - with in... 70-80 mikes. A normal workout time frame that I use...

BTW - I find waving with other bodyparts like Chest to be too much - like you said. It limits the total number of sets for additional excercises. But Triceps it works well - because the first wave really is just warming up the joints and the muscle has recieved much less than it will on the second wave...

Thread Information