Thread: Overtaining???

RebelMan is offline Junior Member

Overtaining???

I was wondering about my leg workout. I only do legs once a week, but when I do work them out I do 21 sets.

squat 4 sets
    lunge 3 sets
    push press 4 sets
    hack squat 3 sets
    leg curl 4 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

By doing this many sets am I over training on legs days? or since I can complete the workout is it ok to do this many sets?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Just because you can complete the workout does not mean it isn't overtraining.

Now legs get everyday use on a consistant basis so they need more stimulation for growth but I do think that may be overkill.

Do you do every part of your legs on one day or do you split hams and quads.
    I think if your growing than keep what your doing but I find that I need to split up my leg workouts into Quads/Calves and then i do hams on a seperate day.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    It could be overtraining. all my leg routine conssts of is
    3 warm up sets on squats
    4 heavy sets on squat
    3-4 heavy sets on leg extensions
    4 heavy sets of leg curls
    calves
    everyonce in awhile I'll throw in some leg press and my legs are getting pretty damn big!

yellows2k is offline Member
    3-6 sets for quads, 3-4 sets for hams and 3-4 sets of calves is all u need.

RebelMan is offline Junior Member
    I figured I was overtraining, and was going to change my workout up, just wanted to see what everbody else had to say about it first. Thanks for the replies.

Hard Rock is offline New Member
    personally I don't need alot of sets for legs mine grow faster then any part of my body. But if your worried about overtraining . try changing up your reps range instead of more sets, or switch squats and leg presses every week . They basically do the same,instead doing them both, load either one till the gills ,and suck as much air you can and hope you don't shit yourself on the way up ..I"d be more concered with intensity per set then volume.

yellows2k is offline Member
    Originally posted by Hard Rock
    personally I don't need alot of sets for legs mine grow faster then any part of my body. But if your worried about overtraining . try changing up your reps range instead of more sets, or switch squats and leg presses every week . They basically do the same,instead doing them both, load either one till the gills ,and suck as much air you can and hope you don't shit yourself on the way up ..I"d be more concered with intensity per set then volume.

I think you have summed it up by saying you don't need alot of sets and they are growing faster than any other part. You most likely are NOT overtraining them and giving them ample rest and time to grow. Well done.

Thread Information