withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member

Question questions on soreness

i am a new member and will be posting pics shortly, as soon as i buy a digital camera.

my stats:
    height: 6'2"
    weight: 210
    bodyfat: around 10%
    bench: max 315
    squat: max 375

I have only been working out hardcore for about 6 months now, and I have just discovered the great advantages of using precise perfect form to get a great contraction in every excersice, it's great i can really feel it.
    Problem is I'm sore from a chest workout for like 5 to 6 days and back about the same.
    I know people would first say that I might be overtraining but I still see steady gains in every exercise so I'm a little confused. Below is my normal plan

Day 1: Chest/tricep/shoulder
    every two weeks I alternate between dumbells and barbells
    Warm up 2 sets of 15 explosive reps bench
    Bench: 5 sets pyramiding 10-8-... at 225-235-245-255-265
    Incline: 3 sets of 8 reps usually around 200 pounds
    Every week i alternate between doing incline or flat first

Day 3: back/bicep/trap
    alternate the series of these excersies every week
    lat pull: 5 sets of 8-10 reps using STRICT form
    Cable rows: 5 sets 8 reps using STRICT form
    T-bar: 3 sets of 12 reps , really contracting back

Day 5: Legs
    2 warm up sets squat
    5 work sets squat, of 8-10 reps starting at 235 - 255-275-295-295 (right now)
    3 sets leg curls
    3 sets extensions
    6 sets calves

I have been getting really really sore since I worked out with a local body builder who showed me some tricks on really contracting my muclses.... should i lighten up a little?
    I take about 4 protein(whey) shakes a day (designer whey) and Eat what i consider to be a very good diet

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

yellows2k is offline Member
    Soreness is lactic acid buildup as you may or may not already know. It's no indicator of intensity, or how good or bad a workout you had. Out of all the splits I have seen on this board so far, I believe yours is the best one I have seen. The only thing I would change is to swap your Pull and Push so for instance:

Day 1:Pull(or Legs)
    Day 3:Push
    Day 5:Legs(or Pull)

That way, you give more rest between your leg and back work out. If you haven't started deadlifting, you should. It's the next best exercise next to squats IMO, and this will give a good time in between back and legs because legs are used secondarily during deads.

response to yellows2k

thank you for your advice and opinions... is there anything i can do about my lactic acid buildup?

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    The prolonged soreness he is referring to isn't from lactic acid, it's from hydroxyproline acid which is a by-product of exercise induced microtrauma. Lactic acid accumulates and causes soreness during the workout.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Re: response to yellows2k

Originally posted by withoutd0ubt
    thank you for your advice and opinions... is there anything i can do about my lactic acid buildup?
    Your body gets used to it. In the beginning it is sometimes untollerable - but as you progress your body has a higher tollerence for it... and will limit you less DURING workouts as well as proceeding days.

Experienced bodybuilders can have as much as 30 percent higher tollerence to lactate levels. This adaption takes more than 6 months... in fact it can take years to really develop a high tollerence to the pain... but more than a physiological adaption - it comes from motivation... "come on man - one more!"

A few things you should remember to help you body ease into intense training and enhance recovery are:

- Avoid heavily eccentric movements (negatives). Start to use them more as you advance.

- Stretch after workouts.

- Massage, whirlpool, saunas, ...

But bottomline - workout as a beginner - not an advanced or professional bodybuilder. Work at your current stage and change your splits as you progress. No one starts at the top. To build the house - you have to lay the foundation.
    Last edited by Warrior; 02-04-2003 at 02:43 AM.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well, looks like Warrior hit this one square on the head.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    You guys are talking to him like he's a noobie, I don't think he is by looking at his stats

anyways, you can help your lactic acid buildup problem by taking longer rest periods between sets

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by brad fuel
    You guys are talking to him like he's a noobie, I don't think he is by looking at his stats

anyways, you can help your lactic acid buildup problem by taking longer rest periods between sets
    Whoops - I saw the "been working out hardcore for about 6 months now" and missed the rest. So consider my - general info brah!

If you are getting steady gains - you are probably not overtrained at this point. But it can build up - just beware of the symptoms... there are some threads on this here.

But yeah - strict form is a must. Being able to isolate even with compound movements. I have seen people do rws that look like they are getting a bigger pump in the Biceps...

But recovery is key. And the faster you recover the better gains you can make - if you nail a bodypart that is not recovered... the trauma can be too much and easily lead to overtraining. Make sure basic nutrition and supplements are in order...

thanks to everyone

thanks a lot for everyone's suggestions, and no i'm not a newbie but i definately can't say im an expert

Thread Information