View Poll Results: Do you use a stopwatch when you lift?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

7 38.89%
  • NO

11 61.11%
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

Do you use a stopwatch when you lift?

I could not imagine going to the gym without my stopwatch or my PWO drink. Timing rest periods is crucial for a good workout...

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I did until I dropped a plate on it. Actually thanks for reminding me to stop by Academy after work

Rich8888 is offline Member
    how long do you rest in between sets?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    45 seconds for sets with reps 8 and over

120 seconds for sets with reps 7 and under

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Rich8888
    how long do you rest in between sets?
    It varies with the exercise and the # of sets...usually for larger compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, and bench I do 6 sets with a 180 sec. rest in between. For smaller body parts such as arms and calves, I try to take longer then a minute rest.

My reps are within the 6 to 10 range, using heavy weight and good form. I found through personal trial and error that focusing on getting high quality reps is more effective then getting caught up in the rep pyramids. The only time I'll increase the weight is when I can bang out 12 reps w/ scrict form, thus conquering the weight.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Pheedno
    I did until I dropped a plate on it. Actually thanks for reminding me to stop by Academy after work
    That's exactly what I did. Of course I then stepped on it as I was trying to pick it up. Now I just stare at the clock on the wall!

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    The magic time under stress for hypertrophy is 60 seconds.

-SF

Aguro is offline Associate Member

You mean that every pause shouldnt be longer then 60 sec for muscle mass? My cardio suck after 1 set, i am panting like a dog, i wait until i catch my breath back and feel that my muscle are ready to perform another set something it can go for 30 sec to 3 mins.. What do you think?

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    Only occasionally I do, to see how long i am resting, I lock at my watch, I dont use a stopwatch.
    But when i finish 11 sets of chest, and 8 of biceps , like yesterday in 60 mins, then i know I did well and didnt rest to long. (i had a w/o partner too)

Usually when im doing abs, I make sure i waste no longer than 50 seconds between sets.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Aguro

You mean that every pause shouldnt be longer then 60 sec for muscle mass? My cardio suck after 1 set, i am panting like a dog, i wait until i catch my breath back and feel that my muscle are ready to perform another set something it can go for 30 sec to 3 mins.. What do you think?
    For training for size, yes. Limited rest intervals and advanced principles like drop sets and supersets to toally fatigue the muscle and burn all atp/cp stores for a greater hypertrophy response. With hypertrophy training you do not allow full recovery - as opposed to strength training. Strength training with long RI's will only take you so far in size gains...

If you have a hard time with endurance, this will certainly limit your progress. You should invest some gym time in endurance training and increasing your cardio capacity. Bodybuilders must have endurance.

BTW - I usually use the clock on the wall.

David B. is offline Member
    I use my wristwatch. It has a rotating bezel that allows me to set rest time intervals.

--dnb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you use a stopwatch when you lift?-tudorsub.jpg  

solidj55 is offline Member
    I use the timer on my watch.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    No, my rest time is based on how long it takes me to do the set, so set lasts for 30 secs, i get 30 secs rest, but i never have more than 60 seconds rest...

Thread Information