Thread: A few Question

Skinny_O is offline New Member

Lightbulb A few Question

I am new to working out... I jsut started lifting weights about 3 weeks ago... I am 19 and I am 6'2" 171 lbs and I dont know what my BF% is... I am starting to eat much better, I use to eat a lot of junk food but now I never ever eat junk food... lots of chicken,meat, ect in my diet now which I use to never eat and no more snack ... I do cardio for about 30 min each day(Run a mile, then do cardio on the bike for about 20 min)...

(I ussualy eat 3 meals a day.... for breakfast I have kids cereal, for lunch ussualy a chicken sandwich and some baked chips, and for dinner I have meat and lots of potatoes.... I eat some crackers or something not fatty when I get hungry through the day and I drink a lot of water....)

My question is that I work out only 2 days a week and was wondering if I should set up a split because I am going to start working out at home... I have dumbells and can do exxercises at how... I was wondering what types of things I could do at home such as arms at home with dumbells then Chest at gym ect...

Sorry if I sound like I am rambling but I am just so excited about getting started and getting into shape )))

Thanks

P.S. so if this has been asked by some other newbie and answered....

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Ok, you lost me....you are starting to eat good but you need a bit more food than that. What was your basic question again? Exercises to do at home with dumbells to work arms? Well standing curls, seated curls, hammer curls, kickbacks, overhead tricep extensions, reverse curls, etc......

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I agree with Texan, you need some more food man, especially if you want to add mass. More protein and some good clean carbs (sweet potatoes, green and orange veggies, oats)

As far as a split...if you are going to be at the gym two days a week, you can do the muscle groups that you'll lift heavier there and the one's you dont lift as much at home. Here's just an example...

Gym day 1
    Chest
    Back
    Shoulders

Gym day 3
    Quads
    Hams
    Calves

Home day 5
    Shoulders
    Tris
    Bis

I added shoulders twice, but was one of my weak areas and you have plenty of rest time in between to work them again...

just an example, figure out your goals, your weak spots and what you are willing to do...then go for it...

EAT BIG< SLEEP BIG< LIFT BIG< GET BIG

kc

What I was trying to ask is am I eating alright and if I am not how can I improve my eating... such as u said carbs but what else might you add in there?
    Then my second question is what type of split(for 3 or 4 days). and what should I do at the gym versus at home with dumbells... Also what could I do if I decide to add a 4th day in I dont wanna over work something or would I have to change everything up....
    I have been eating like this for about a month and have lost most of the gut I have(Looking for better abs)... I still wanna add size but I dont think I can cut fat to though...

Thanks

You want at least 5-6 good meals a day. You want your total amount of calories coming from 40% from protein, 30% from carbs, and 30% from fats. To bulk you take your body weight and multiply it by 17 and that's how many calories you need to bulk. To cut you eat 500 below your maintenance calories. I'd figure them out for ya but I lost the link I had to a calorie calculator. Look around here on different threads, alot of info has been posted already. As for your workouts. While at the gym do the lifts and bodyparts you can't do at home.4 days a week shouldn't be overtraining. If you want 4 days how about 2 days on 1 day off 2 days on 2 days off, ex. Mon, Tues, lift, Wed off, Thur, Fri lift, Sat and Sun off. You need to decide on what you want to do, either bulk up or diet down. Don't try and do both. It can be done but it causes a hell of a headache.

Thanks for all the help guys ... Some good information. I have been eating three meals a day with little junk food for about a month and lost about 7 lbs.. I am looking to get a better looking body(hopefully size).. You said to get certain %s of Fats,Protein, ect... For dinner time I ussualy eat some type of meat(lamb chops,steak,chicken, ect) If I was to eat 6 meals a day how would I go about doing it.. What I am trying to say if I dont know how much to eat or what to eat when...
    Also which type of protein shake would u recommended and what % is it of your daily protein? I am a full time student right now so I am fairly active and I play sports atleast 2 times a week....

Thanks

Do some searches on here, there's plenty of posts describing how to eat and when to eat. Just try to eat every 3 hours, that way it keeps your metabolism running. I like PRO-RATED, but get what you can get. I only use protein shakes right before and after my workouts. Or if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to cook or eat a full meal.

yellows2k is offline Member
    SEARCH

Thread Information