PAGUY26 is offline Junior Member

what EXACTLY is "LEAN BODY MASS"?

Say a guys lean body mass is 175. Is that his body weight with 0% body fat?

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    Sort of...

I always refer to LBM as pure muscle mass when calculating gross (not net) gains:

Say I gained 30 lbs off a cycle, and 15 of those lbs would be fat and water accumulation, I have really gained 15 lbs of LBM (lean body mass).

That's the way I've always looked at it anyway.

Decoder is offline Banned

Re: what EXACTLY is "LEAN BODY MASS"?

Originally posted by PAGUY26
    Say a guys lean body mass is 175. Is that his body weight with 0% body fat?

say that you were 200 pounds and your LBM was 175, you have 175 pounds of muscle on you and 25 pounds of fat/water/bone etc..

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    25lbs of fat water and bone? shit you must be like a rock.

Lean Body Mass is not a real term...atleast not one that you can calculate and use. If yo're not counting water then you better cut out like 60% of your body weight atleast. And fat is easy to count since everyone thinks they know their bodyweight, we'll say like 15% BF. Now if yo'uve ever picked up a real skeleton in an anatomy class or something, it's not a feather, so i'll take an educated guess at 10%. So using you guys definition, i'm left with 15% of my body weight equals Lean Body Mass

You can see how LBM is a useless term because nobody has a good definition of it. And even if we did, it's not something we can calculate off the top of our heads.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    LBM is a good concept for people with a high BF. This makes figuring out how much protein you need much easier. I know a lot of guys that are pushing 300lb with probably 100lbs of fat yet they eat 300+g of protein because they have fallen into the myth that you need 1g/lb of protein. Your muscle weight is what counts for your protein intake, hummm and they wonder why they can't shed a few pounds!!! When you start getting leaner <11% BF (IMO) I think you don't have to worry so much about the LBM figure.

Pain

Decoder is offline Banned
    Originally posted by brad fuel
    25lbs of fat water and bone? shit you must be like a rock.

Lean Body Mass is not a real term...atleast not one that you can calculate and use. If yo're not counting water then you better cut out like 60% of your body weight atleast. And fat is easy to count since everyone thinks they know their bodyweight, we'll say like 15% BF. Now if yo'uve ever picked up a real skeleton in an anatomy class or something, it's not a feather, so i'll take an educated guess at 10%. So using you guys definition, i'm left with 15% of my body weight equals Lean Body Mass

You can see how LBM is a useless term because nobody has a good definition of it. And even if we did, it's not something we can calculate off the top of our heads.

Are you on crack? seriously?

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    lol and here i always thought it was lean tissue, bone and other "goo", everything but the fat

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Decoder

Are you on crack? seriously?
    you're the one that said don't count "fat/water/bone"

Thread Information