orto is offline Junior Member

Angry Partial rupture of Achilles tendon

I get a blow on the point where Achilles tendon is attached to the heel bone. My doctor tlod me to rest for FIVE WEEKS!!!
    Have somebody similar condition. Should I listen to my doc?

yellows2k is offline Member

Re: Partial rupture of Achilles tendon

Originally posted by orto
    I get a blow on the point where Achilles tendon is attached to the heel bone. My doctor tlod me to rest for FIVE WEEKS!!!
    Have somebody similar condition. Should I listen to my doc?
    Are you joking? Why would you not let it heal back to 100% and risk more injury?

But you know what 5 weeks means for my legs?!

yellows2k is offline Member
    I wouldn't lift anything for 5 weeks....

5 weeks may mean your legs will get smaller for 5 weeks... big deal, it's nothing a few months of training won't fix.

Sure beats screwing them up for the rest of your life or needing surgery that will stop you completely from training for 5+ months.

Come on bro... use your head.

Red

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Ok what's more important.....maintaining legs for 5 weeks and risking more severe or maybe permanent damage or resting for 5 weeks and suffering "some" loss in strength and recovering fully. Hhhmmm tough one!

OK, OK! Got it.

Originally posted by orto
    OK, OK! Got it.
    He he he good!

Not training is so hard... I think we are all seriously addicted here.

Red

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    just work out the other leg. You will suffer less degeneration of muscle in both legs. It's called Reciprocal Innervation.

Tell me more. How come then for ex. has righthanded person stronger right arm etc.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Well if you work out or use one side more than the other it'll be stronger, no doubt. Since your ruptured your achilles tendon, you will already have an imbalance of muscles whether you work out or not. The purpose of reciprocal innervation is to suffer less muscles loss than not working out at all.

They did studies on ppl that broke their arms and have them work out the other arm. And yes the results show less muscle tissue loss.

How it works is still a mystery. A possible theory is when you move, your brain sends a signal to your hand and it moves. The level of the signal must be at a certain strength to get a response. So at the same time, your body is sending a weak signal to your other hand which recieves it, but isnt' strong enough to make it move. In a sense, your injured arm is still be innervated, just at really low levels.

Interesting point.
    I've spoken to my physiotherapist and she said that after therapy and with good bandage I could start step by step. After all it wasn't total rupture.
    Lucky me.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I have heard of this before, but never looked into it much. It could work for you but if you did try it, I'd keep it low intensity to keep from aggrevating your injury. To me just taking sometime off and resting sounds better though. Hell 5 weeks is nothing. You'll come back recovered and refreshed from the time off.

firedup is offline Junior Member
    otto:
    how did you rupture it?
    I have pain in my heel when I land on it hard (bmx or skating).
    Plus I am very heavy, which aint helping anything.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by orto
    But you know what 5 weeks means for my legs?!
    Not much really! Try being out 6 months as I was with DOUBLE patellar tendon ruptures......basically your lower legs are no longer attached at the front at all to your upper legs. No feeling like this in the world!

Check my pics, I turned out relatively decent after surgery and the long lay-off (members pics area), so 5 weeks for you isn't much at all! Especially when you can still do stiff leg deads for hams, and extensions for the quads. U can superset, dropset, etc., and keep your size doing this, I wasn't able to do ANYTHING for 6 months.

That my friend was depression!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not much really! Try being out 6 months as I was with DOUBLE patellar tendon ruptures......basically your lower legs are no longer attached at the front at all to your upper legs. No feeling like this in the world!

Check my pics, I turned out relatively decent after surgery and the long lay-off (members pics area), so 5 weeks for you isn't much at all! Especially when you can still do stiff leg deads for hams, and extensions for the quads. U can superset, dropset, etc., and keep your size doing this, I wasn't able to do ANYTHING for 6 months.

That my friend was depression!

~SC~
    First they told me I'll not be able to train for 5 weeks. Those weeks turn into months. I was told it would be better if I totaly tear it off. I still have chanse for total rupture, my soleus have no shape (after more than one year!),... and really I was once depressed once angry.

But SwoleCat I admire your patientce and your progress after surgery! Good work!

Thread Information