Twin is offline Associate Member

How is my deadlift form?

I just want to make sure that I have my form good enough to do deadlifts... before I start adding heavy weights...

warm up set
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUO54qPUPLI

with weight. (but, i did better form with my warm up set... im going to get pants because i get bruised from the bar... i dont like it and thus i couldnt bend legs because of the pain from my shins.... so pay attention to my warm up set form)

45x2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8huymhpdFJw

G.P. is offline Junior Member
    You don't want to start with your shins against the bar in the standing position. Have a couple inches between shins & bar. That way when you squat down your shins will touch but not push the bar foward as it did. Also it looks like you're almost resting the weight on you knees in the last reps & then pushing the weight out too far. It should be more of a fluid motion & you shouldn't have to push the bar out that much or use your arms that much. Keep working on form though & get the technique down before you start adding a lot of weight.
    Here's a good instructional video.
    I don't agree with all the techniques (I prefer more of a powerlift style) they use but it covers the basics pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    i wouldnt let it hit ur knee cap too much or roll off ur thighs.. i thikn if u did big weight that would be bad lol

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
    You don't want to start with your shins against the bar in the standing position. Have a couple inches between shins & bar. That way when you squat down your shins will touch but not push the bar foward as it did. Also it looks like you're almost resting the weight on you knees in the last reps & then pushing the weight out too far. It should be more of a fluid motion & you shouldn't have to push the bar out that much or use your arms that much. Keep working on form though & get the technique down before you start adding a lot of weight.
    Here's a good instructional video.
    I don't agree with all the techniques (I prefer more of a powerlift style) they use but it covers the basics pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I
    Amazing technique, i started a bit of deadlifting for lower back rehab, of course i heard the horror stories but still, i use that exact same technique and i don't really put a lot of weight, just want to work the core muscles.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    It looks like your knees are bent too much at the start of the lift, forcing you to move the bar outwards to get around your knees as you lift upward. Bend your knees less to start, you wont be able to use your legs as much to lift the weight this way, so it will emphasize your back more which is really what you want to do with this exercise.

Also, lookat your video. Your knees come out in front of your feel at the start position. This is a result of squatting down too low. You want your knees to be right over your feet at the start. This will help you determine the correct starting position for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Amazing technique, i started a bit of deadlifting for lower back rehab, of course i heard the horror stories but still, i use that exact same technique and i don't really put a lot of weight, just want to work the core muscles.
    Don't listen to this guy. Fix your starting position and you will be lifting more weight immediately.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    It looks like your knees are bent too much at the start of the lift, forcing you to move the bar outwards to get around your knees as you lift upward. Bend your knees less to start, you wont be able to use your legs as much to lift the weight this way, so it will emphasize your back more which is really what you want to do with this exercise.
    I totally disagree. Many big deadlifters start with the knees bent that deep because they durive their power from the legs rather than their backs. Look at 800+ puller Dan Harrison (check his youtube), also Andy Bolton (world record holder in the deadlift) incorporates a lot of leg drive in his deadlift. It's all about leverages. Many stumpy-legged guys (big squatters) incorporate lots of leg drive into their deads. Longer, taller guys (like myself 6'4), incorporate much more back so it begins to look like a stiff legged dead for some. BTW I'm a 7 8 0lb deadlifter.

Your form is actually pretty close to perfect for a beginner. As you grow and get stronger you'll tweak your technique to fit your body type. But its looking good brotha. You always want to keep the bar as close to your shins and your legs throughout the entire lift. A proper deadlift will have you slide the bar up your legs through the entire lift. By proper deadlift, I mean what we (powerlifters and strongmen) do in competition.

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Jesus check out this Dan Harrison video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4zs...eature=related

I never could imagine someone @ 1/2 way to 400 pounds doing more then a couple of chin-ups! unreal!

-VM

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    Jesus check out this Dan Harrison video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4zs...eature=related

I never could imagine someone @ 1/2 way to 400 pounds doing more then a couple of chin-ups! unreal!

-VM
    haha that crazy

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    haha that crazy
    sooooo beast!!!

I found a picture of his dad, he's a beast as well...

http://travel.mongabay.com/gabon/images/gabon_1805.html

-VM

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    sooooo beast!!!

I found a picture of his dad, he's a beast as well...

http://travel.mongabay.com/gabon/images/gabon_1805.html

-VM
    Needs a shave

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Needs a shave
    lol!! could you imagine what that thing could squat?

It's arms look like they're probably 40-45 inches round. LOL!!!

-VM

I wouldnt want it to catch me with his wife thats for sure ^

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    I totally disagree. Many big deadlifters start with the knees bent that deep because they durive their power from the legs rather than their backs. Look at 800+ puller Dan Harrison (check his youtube), also Andy Bolton (world record holder in the deadlift) incorporates a lot of leg drive in his deadlift. It's all about leverages. Many stumpy-legged guys (big squatters) incorporate lots of leg drive into their deads. Longer, taller guys (like myself 6'4), incorporate much more back so it begins to look like a stiff legged dead for some. BTW I'm a 7 8 0lb deadlifter.

Your form is actually pretty close to perfect for a beginner. As you grow and get stronger you'll tweak your technique to fit your body type. But its looking good brotha. You always want to keep the bar as close to your shins and your legs throughout the entire lift. A proper deadlift will have you slide the bar up your legs through the entire lift. By proper deadlift, I mean what we (powerlifters and strongmen) do in competition.

I suggest that you watch some videos of these guys yo have just mentioned. They do exactly what I told the OP to do. Note that their legs are not nearly as bent as his. Thus, there knees remain directly over their feet to ensure proper leverage and power. I did not say the OP shouldn't use his legs, just that he is bending them too far. Watch videos and you will see.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjax03 View Post
    I suggest that you watch some videos of these guys yo have just mentioned. They do exactly what I told the OP to do. Note that their legs are not nearly as bent as his. Thus, there knees remain directly over their feet to ensure proper leverage and power. I did not say the OP shouldn't use his legs, just that he is bending them too far. Watch videos and you will see.
    Leverages are different for a person weighing 340lbs, like Dan Harrison, and the OP. Having trained with Dan and many other top deadlifters/powerlifters, I know for a fact when teaching the lift at a very light weight its important to incorporate the legs within the lift as possible. As you can read from my post, after learning the lift properly and gaining weight, your form will change. But when learning the lift, incorporating more leg strength is paramount because the legs can take much strain than your lowerback can. Numbers and seeing it in training don't lie.

Check out Dan Harrison's 800 and *** deadlifts and see how much leg bend he uses at the beginning of each lift.
    Last edited by BgMc31; 09-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    Leverages are different for a person weighing 340lbs, like Dan Harrison, and the OP. Having trained with Dan and many other top deadlifters/powerlifters, I know for a fact when teaching the lift at a very light weight its important to incorporate the legs within the lift as possible. As you can read from my post, after learning the lift properly and gaining weight, your form will change. But when learning the lift, incorporating more leg strength is paramount because the legs can take much strain than your lowerback can. Numbers and seeing it in training don't lie.

Check out Dan Harrison's 800 and *** deadlifts and see how much leg bend he uses at the beginning of each lift.
    I totally agree that using the legs is vital to proper deadlifting. I will take your word for it that one's form changes as one hones their skills. My major concern with the OP's form is that it looks like his legs are bent in such a way that it would reduce his leverage at the start of the lift. I watched Dan Harrison, he does seem to bend his knees a bit more than others, but also from the video I saw, before he starts actually pulling upwards, his knees are pretty much over his feet. OP, the best thing for you to do would probably be to experiment and see what works best for you at this point. Figure out what position gives your body structure the most leverage/power while maintaining safe, strict form.

Thread Information