Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Drop setting: by marcus300

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~

Drop setting: by marcus300

Drop set training is a training method what I would consider a favourite of mine, when I am on cycle and i'm after building muscle tissue I always incorporate this intense training technique because it compliments how my body builds muscle. Short heavy intense workouts have always been how my body responded the best in regards to building tissue, ive tried many different routines which have resulted in good gains and I am not in no way advicing against any other training method here I am just explaining one method ive had great success with and would class my no1 for building a big dense frame. Again like most things in bodybuilding there are many variations to any method but here I will talk about the basic idea around dropsets.

Drop set training is a method of training what takes you to failure and beyond, you simply perform a certain exercise until muscle failure then drop some weight off the bar or reduce the dumbbells and continue until you reach muscular failure again,then reduce the poundage one more time and rep till failure once more.This kind of training recruits and breaks down many muscle fibres and creates hypertrophy in a very short period of time, each time you dropset the poundage you recruit more fibres and create more damage, if your incorporating 2 drop sets after your first set your putting fibres under pressure what would normally be dormant these stubborn fibres will be stimulated and be forced to grow , the end result is more damage fibres to repair and to grow bigger,this kind of intense training builds thick dense muscle bellies and creates over all size and mass.

One of the most important things you need to do with this kind of training is make sure your fully warmed up, you can cause injury easily so before any major drop setting WARM UP. 2 warm up sets to get the blood flowing should be adequate then you need to hit your maximum weight what would give you a rep range of 8-10, 10 being complete failure not one further rep can be completed, then you would dropset the weight by around 20% and rep again to complete failure, then take another 20% off and rep to failure. That is one working set and then you would recover and repeat,you would do two working sets to complete that particular exercise.

Lets throw in an example with poundage,
    this is one working set for seated shoulder press:
    2 warm up sets
    220lbs rep 8-10- complete failure,drop set by 20% (44lb)
    176lbs rep till complete failure drop set by 44lb
    132lbs rep till complete failure
    rest,recover and repeat without the warm up sets
    shoulder press completed

When complete failure as set in you move onto drop sets without any rest but complete failure means not one further rep can be achieved even if your life depended on it. By continuously stripping the weight you recruit more and more fibres what you wouldn't of used which will result in new growth.

That's just one basic example but there are many variations, you can strip the poundage/weight by 40-50% each drop set and increase the rep range if you respond to volume training better or you can reduce the drop set weight and just go with 10% drops but do 3 drops instead of 2, there are many ways to incorporate drop sets its all about finding out which one you respond best to and which one recruits the more fibres in the shortest possible time. I normally would do 2 forced reps at the end of each drop sets especially when I am on cycle.

Swapping and changing training methods and routines around will help you create new growth, next time your looking for a change incorporate this method and see how you react, if implemented correctly this can springboard you into new growth. Short intense workouts are better for your C.N.S and recovery so always aim to be in the gym for the shortest possible time otherwise it can be counterproductive.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    This is also great for guys that are depleted and trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible before shows or whatever your goals are.

Big fan of drop sets. I suggest those of you looking to implement a different style after your next deload try this.

Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    This is also great for guys that are depleted and trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible before shows or whatever your goals are.

Big fan of drop sets. I suggest those of you looking to implement a different style after your next deload try this.

Good read.
    I found it to intense to use when depleted, unless your going with big % drop sets and going for volume.

What training style do you use to build HP?

Volume would make more sense^

I like to split it up. 2 days dedicated to power - 5x5 upper/lower, the next 2 days dedicated to hypertrophy in the 8-10 rep range which would include negatives/drops/supersets.

Deloads rarely come with this style due to the fact my body will usually take a very long time to adapt to this method since it's so complex, or more so then your conventional routine.

Each body part gets trained twice per week. I'm a huge advocate of taxing the fibers twice. I found this to be the optimal route for muscle growth..

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    For better or worse, it's a method I learned when I first started lifting, although it probably should be reserved for seasoned lifters. In either case, it's always been a favorite of mine. My biceps NEVER get sore, but when I incorporate drop sets into my bicep workout, DOMS is inevitable every time!

I have that same problem... if I would even call it a problem lol.

Biceps never get sore.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    For better or worse, it's a method I learned when I first started lifting, although it probably should be reserved for seasoned lifters. In either case, it's always been a favorite of mine. My biceps NEVER get sore, but when I incorporate drop sets into my bicep workout, DOMS is inevitable every time!
    Ive incorporate various training technique and I do like to swap them around but your correct DOMS does seem to be a regular occurrence of drop setting.

tembe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Ive incorporate various training technique and I do like to swap them around but your correct DOMS does seem to be a regular occurrence of drop setting.

SO basically how long would you run DROP SET training for Marcus?

Also how many sets and exercises would you be aiming to hit then for chest for example using drop sets?

Marcus, do you use the rest-pause technique at all? I'm curious to know how it holds up.

RP is very effective.

Experimented with it a little bit.

htown21 is offline New Member
    tried it before too, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by tembe View Post
    SO basically how long would you run DROP SET training for Marcus?

Also how many sets and exercises would you be aiming to hit then for chest for example using drop sets?
    I would usually run for around 3 months after that I would normally get burnt out but that would depend on how intense aI run the drop sets.

I would normally only do 2 working sets per excercise, each working set would have 2 or even 3 dropsets built within it, from the example ive posted which is a basic dropset for chest you would do 3 chest excercises, incline,flat and fly - 2 working sets each excercise. Remember when you start your working sets after you have warmed up you go all out like your life depended on it.

Marcus, do you use the rest-pause technique at all? I'm curious to know how it holds up.
    Of course, ive used them in the past and to this day. I always try and swap and change my workout program around. The RP protocol again builds some dense looking muscle which I like

I think one of the things we all must do is swap and change things around every now and again so we dont go stale, every technique as its place for building/shaping/pumping

Hsheer is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry i didn't understand something. Let’s say for example i want to use this technique in a chest workout. And my workout consists of 4 exercises. I'll use the drop set technique in all of the exercises or only chest press and complete my exercise normally?

I'll leave it up to the pro's to give a definitive answer, but what I believe to be the case is that you would not be doing 4 exercises during a workout where you intend to use drop sets. In other words, if you typically do 4 exercises, 3 sets each, that's a total of 12 sets for that bodypart. Once you incorporate drop sets, since each drop is still part of the same working set, you would most definitely overtrain that muscle group if you tried drop setting for 12 sets - that would technically be like doing 36 sets!

Again, Marcus, HP - correct me if i'm wrong, but when I use drop sets I stick to the 'meat and potatoes' exercises.

BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Could not agree more.

stevey_6t9 is offline RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian - Veni Vidi Vici
    I'll leave it up to the pro's to give a definitive answer, but what I believe to be the case is that you would not be doing 4 exercises during a workout where you intend to use drop sets. In other words, if you typically do 4 exercises, 3 sets each, that's a total of 12 sets for that bodypart. Once you incorporate drop sets, since each drop is still part of the same working set, you would most definitely overtrain that muscle group if you tried drop setting for 12 sets - that would technically be like doing 36 sets!

Again, Marcus, HP - correct me if i'm wrong, but when I use drop sets I stick to the 'meat and potatoes' exercises.
    yeah i agree.

i personally believe drop sets are your proverbial ace card and should be used sparingly. yes they are great but they do tax you alot and doing alot of them may lead to overtraining.

mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member
    Thank you so much marcus I'm glad someone else does drop sets. I do something very similiar to this except i start at my 3rep max then drop down about 20% then another 20% for the last 2 sets i do about 5-6reps(or failure). My question is how long do you rest? I usually rest under around 1 minute or less. Also I do 3 drop sets in all and after my first full drop set is complete i decrease the weight by about 20pounds and repeat.

Example:
    Set 1 - 275x3, 225x6, 185x6

Set 2 - 255x4, 205x6, 165x6

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Ive been drop setting for sometime. Def for Bi's and Tri's.

I recommend

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta7 View Post
    Thank you so much marcus I'm glad someone else does drop sets. I do something very similiar to this except i start at my 3rep max then drop down about 20% then another 20% for the last 2 sets i do about 5-6reps(or failure). My question is how long do you rest? I usually rest under around 1 minute or less. Also I do 3 drop sets in all and after my first full drop set is complete i decrease the weight by about 20pounds and repeat.

Example:
    Set 1 - 275x3, 225x6, 185x6

Set 2 - 255x4, 205x6, 165x6
    I only rest the amount of time it takes me to strip the bar or change the dumbells, no rest for me unless ive dropped my reps down and I'm doing some serious weight then I would take 10-15 seconds.

Ok i see that's my plan. I did drop sets for the first time yesterday and it was one of the most intense workouts I've ever had. I havent actually tried my new workout yet but i set it up based on your 20% weight drop suggestion. I'm going for share mass/strength so i try to keep the reps low.

When you do heavy weight drop sets do you start at the same weight for all 2-3sets? Or would you start out at a lower weight for the next set?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta7;534***9
    Ok i see that's my plan. I did drop sets for the first time yesterday and it was one of the most intense workouts I've ever had. I havent actually tried my new workout yet but i set it up based on your 20% weight drop suggestion. I'm going for share mass/strength so i try to keep the reps low.

When you do heavy weight drop sets do you start at the same weight for all 2-3sets? Or would you start out at a lower weight for the next set?
    Thats great sounds like you had a good workout, pains good lol

yes I normally stay at the same weight but depending what excercise I am doing sometimes I may lose a rep or two on the following set. Nothing is set in stone with this kind of training so just go with how your feeling and push all the time for your maximum and recruit as many fibres as possible

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Do you employ static pauses Marcus?

I can imagine thats pretty hard after a drop set. I've got chest tomorrow and will be drop setting and RP!

If you dont ache the 24-48hrs after, you havent done enough IMO. Thats what I live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    Do you employ static pauses Marcus?

I can imagine thats pretty hard after a drop set. I've got chest tomorrow and will be drop setting and RP!

If you dont ache the 24-48hrs after, you havent done enough IMO. Thats what I live by.
    No I don't use them when ive been drop setting.

The pain is nice from DS

For chest I keep it simple incline,flat and flyes all drop set's

Thats great sounds like you had a good workout, pains good lol

yes I normally stay at the same weight but depending what excercise I am doing sometimes I may lose a rep or two on the following set. Nothing is set in stone with this kind of training so just go with how your feeling and push all the time for your maximum and recruit as many fibres as possible
    Yes the pain is awsome. Drop sets really get you burning better then any other workout and i love it!! Also if i tried a second set starting at my 3 rep max i may only get 2 reps or even 1 so i usually lower the weight just a little so i can get in more reps. I guess ill just have to experiment and see what works.

Keep in mind DOMS is not always a good indicator of adequate microtrauma.

I've never toyed with static contractions. I never saw a reason to include them in my regimen. I may have to experiment with them soon though..

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey guys,

If one exercise ex. Barbell curls are performed with, say 135x4 to failure, then another set of 135x3 to failure +2 forced +2 negatives.

Obviously if done correctly, this would give a really good muscle growth stimulation. Now, if I decided to do a drop set instead of the second set that I did perform (135x3 failure, 2 forced +negatives), how would the drop set give more muscle stimulation? Does it?

More weight - more intensity - more muscle stimulation

If the failiure was reached with a certain weight, why would one drop the weight and do another set instead of trying to do another one with the same or heavier weight as the last set?

I am just trying to understand it... that's all.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids View Post
    Hey guys,

If one exercise ex. Barbell curls are performed with, say 135x4 to failure, then another set of 135x3 to failure +2 forced +2 negatives.

Obviously if done correctly, this would give a really good muscle growth stimulation. Now, if I decided to do a drop set instead of the second set that I did perform (135x3 failure, 2 forced +negatives), how would the drop set give more muscle stimulation? Does it?

More weight - more intensity - more muscle stimulation

If the failiure was reached with a certain weight, why would one drop the weight and do another set instead of trying to do another one with the same or heavier weight as the last set?

I am just trying to understand it... that's all.

Thanks a lot!
    If you was going to drop set your barbell curls with forced and negs you would perform as many reps as you can with your starting weight then 2 forced + negs then drop the weight around 20% and rep again up until muscular failure then again 2 forced 2 negs and drop set by 20% again and repeat.

If you have come to complete failure on your first set it would be impossible to compete another rep because your at failure so that's why your drop the weight and start again without rest, if you don't want to drop the weight you will have to wait 10-15 seconds to recover and rep again with the same weight which would be a rest pause not a drop set.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    So different amount of weight recruits/stimulates different muscle fibers or more muscle fibers?

Quote Originally Posted by UberSteroids;534***3
    So different amount of weight recruits/stimulates different muscle fibers or more muscle fibers?
    Yes the more stubborn fibres. When you have reached failure in your straight set, you have reached muscular failure with that weight, once you start stripping the weight and continue to rep you recruit the more stubborn reserved muscle fibres what you would not normally use in a straight set

MBMETC is offline Anabolic Member
    LOVE THE DROP SETS BE IT TRIPLE DROP OR DOUBLE DROP GREAT STUFF,
    LOVE TURNING GUYS ON TO THIS AND WATCH THEM TRY TO USE THEIR ARMS THE NEXT DAY...LOL

Just trained chest drop setted every exercise (3).

Incline bench (smith)
    Hammer flat
    Fly's
    *Extreme stretch

Was beautiful...

Just trained chest drop setted every exercise (3).

Incline bench (smith)
    Hammer flat
    Fly's
    *Extreme stretch

Was beautiful...
    How long did it take Swifto and was the pump gooood

25-30mins. I dont rest much mate because I cant do cardio due to my knee still.

Strength isnt back yet, but I didnt worry about the weight.

Pump was good mate.

It took 40mins including stretching. Had a little chat with a few people too!

I prefer it like that, in.... OUT. Done.

25-30mins. I dont rest much mate because I cant do cardio due to my knee still.

Strength isnt back yet, but I didnt worry about the weight.

Pump was good mate.

It took 40mins including stretching. Had a little chat with a few people too!

I prefer it like that, in.... OUT. Done.
    Sounds good, short heavy and intense.

Whats up tomorrow?

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Love me some drop sets, along with rest/pause

Sounds good, short heavy and intense.

Whats up tomorrow?
    I'm not sure, depends how I feel.

I may hit delts/triceps tomorrow if there not too sore from chest today. If not, its repeat cycle Mon.

Another thing I do often is to finish an exercise with 20-25 reps (light) after doing some heavy movements.

So if I dropped today for incline bench 3 times and then get spotted fro 2-3 forced I'd wait 3-5mins then push out 20-25 (failure) reps using a light weight to really fill the muscle with blood.

I do that on nearly everything, even after HIT/Volume (heavy final set). Usually resort back to one last high rep se. Get an awsome pump afterwards.

paddy155 is offline Member
    One thing I have noticed with the way you guys train is that rest periods are very short in between sets. Why is this ?
    Nice write up as always marcus.

Drop sets are awsome. I believe they are the best way to gain mass/strength especialy while on cycle. If you really want the most mass and strength possible go really heavy weight and keep it to 3-4 reps then drop down 30% and do 5-6treps then drop another 20% and do 5-6reps. This is just the way i feel works best for gaining mass. I also like marcus' 8rep drop 20% method as well and was very effective for me yesterday doing shoulders. It was by far one of the best shoulder workouts i have ever done so i thank you for the layout and advice marcus.

No matter how you guys do your drop sets make sure to keep your workouts under an hour or it can be very easy to overtrain. Also I'm currently on a mass cycle so I'm going balls to the wall and starting heavy weight on everything. These methods and workouts are extremely intense, perhaps the most intense form of training in my opinion so i would suggest not doing this during post cycle. It can be ok to do throughout an entire cycle while on gear but if you are trying this workout approach all natural I would suggest only doing it for an 8week period max.

Thats just my 2cents

Masta

Quote Originally Posted by paddy155 View Post
    One thing I have noticed with the way you guys train is that rest periods are very short in between sets. Why is this ?
    Nice write up as always marcus.
    With dropsets your only dropping the weight each time you come to failure ypur not resting the muscle, once the weight is dropped you start repping again until failure, there is no resting, this recruits the stubborn muscles fibres what you dont normally use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information