Thread: Calves

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Calves

It's been discussed before but does anybody have any science to support the theory that calves can be trained every other day? This is the way I train them because that is what I've read. But the calve muscle is no smaller than the biceps, in most cases it's bigger. So why would we not treat it the same? Train calves once per week with heavy wieght for 3 sets of 8-10 reps?

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    IMO i dont think calves can be trained every other day after my calf workout i cant even walk on them very well never mind train them a day later LOL but i suppose it depends on the individual but i think if your calves blow up easily (mine dont by the way ) i think once a week should could be adequate you are right Pete you dont train your bis twice really but they are hit with other exercises especially back as a secondary muscle.

unfortunatly the calves dont get hit properly (other than walking) unless they are trained seperatly so i think calves twice a week heavy if they are lacking should do it fine

JMO
    Ms Figure

Originally posted by Ms Figure
    you dont train your bis twice really but they are hit with other exercises especially back as a secondary muscle
    Excellent point MF....I realized that but wasn't even thinking about it when I posted the question. Makes perfect sense

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I would say that you use your calves each and everyday more so than anyother body part, therefore we are going to have a higher thresh-hold of stimulation. To grow Calves IMO should be trained with heavy weights to a high level of intensity, I think twice per week is enough, I wouldn't go with EOD, I personnally have seen good gains in my calfs recently from one session per week but have concentrated on great form a full range of movement, including a long stretch and pause at each point of the rep i.e. contraction and stretch.

Tekto is offline Junior Member
    Hey Big Al. How's everything going bro! Man, can u tell me your calve workout? Im trying to find one to make those little fuckers grow! Is it better to give calves a complete training day? I usually do them when I do legs.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator

Calfs

I trend to go with Big AL on this one. They are mostly red fibers in most ppl, so higher reps and train them more often, i go 2x week, reps in 20 range and has worked well for me. Usually only 4-8 sets, but very intense, nothing burns like calves.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Ah PETE has finally challenged one of my comments huh ? hehe

Calves are a high output muscle , Legs are dominate , but seeing how Large a muscle group it is can be fatigued rather quickly ...... B4 any cars or transportation ( not breathing ) was invented , we ( all us standing upright ) had to do everything by foot ... By this statement , our bodies were made to work HARD .... Not watch TV ... Calves and forearms IMO were made to work all day long ...

as I stated B4 ... Several Pros advocate ( privately that calves can be worked everyday while on AS and every 2 daYS WHEN OFF . ) BTW most Pro BB's never state facts in mags ... why should they ?

This is not to say ( FOR YOU ) it is best , just an opinion ... Always train how it works BEST for you ... all you can do is try and see .. if it doesnt work or it doesnt get any results switch to something else that does ....

Good luck

Originally posted by MarkyMark
    Ah PETE has finally challenged one of my comments huh ? hehe
    Two actually...check out the GNC thread in the Suppliment forum

Double M....that's exactly what I was looking for. A logical explanation of why this particular priciple is commonly practiced. Thanks everybody for their informed educated answers.

Pete

Ok Pete ... sounds like a trend in starting
    hehe

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Ohhh..aren't you boys silly....

BTW...i train calves 1-3 times a week...depending if i go hard an d heavy, or light, or if they're sore or not...

Are you getting any gains from it brother Papa ?

Actually you know what, i think i am...i mean, i know calves is herditary...but, they are responding well ... (Maybe it's just cuz im on gear though )

Well that might help

I was looking for support ... I doubt they will feel using gear as support to my natural training statement ....hehe

have a good one bro

LOL....you should tell your clients this...

"Look, your calves suck...they'll never get big doing what you're doing...you need to start taking steroids . Either that, or have fun walking on ski-poles for the rest of your life."

How do you think they would take that statement?

"You need juice to get those calves big"

"No I don't...You call yourself a trainer!!!?"

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Everybody is different, being more sedentary has changed how our body respond, maybe and this is my brain so bear with me, maybe those who are less active may respond better than those who walk alot or take part in physical activity other than the gym. I do not include CV though, I don't practice what I preach but I believe CV can help muscle growth in moderation, briefly by increasing the number of capilaries within the body we are facilitating a more efficient use of the blood supply, which allows waste products to be removed more quickly and nutrients to be provided.

So what am i saying, well maybe my not using your calves on a daily basis this may aid growth of that bodypart. Easier said than done.

Example.

Whilst studing I cycled alot, my calves did not grow, now I don't cycle my calves have grown. I think this is because the level of stimulation required for growth increases when these non-weight activities are thrown into the mix. This also points to the intensity level required for growth.

I have no studies on this, I'm using BA logic.......... Which has helped me some what up until now

Thread Information