solidj55 is offline Member

My workout for the natural athlete

I believe in the less is more approach when it comes to the natural person wanting to add muscle. I have tried and tried to find a workout that worked for me, as far as bodybuilding, and finally hit upon one. I had a workout that worked extremely well when I was powerlifting but now I am more worried about health and looks, plus I am working around back/shoulder injuries so keep that in mind when looking at this workout.

Day 1
    Pullups-3 sets of 6-8 reps(alternate every two weeks between wide grip, close supinated grip, reverse grip)-rest 1 min 15 secs between sets

Dumbell Press-3 sets of 6-8 reps(alternate between flat, 30 degree incline, and 60 degree incline)-rest 1 min 15 secs between sets

One Arm Dumbell Rows-3 sets 8-10 reps, 45 sec rest between sets

Dips-3 sets 8-10 reps, 45 sec rest between sets

Day 2
    Hack Squats-3 sets 6-8 reps, 1 min 15 secs between sets

Leg Curls-3 sets 6-8 reps, 1 min 15 secs between sets

Calves-3 sets 15 reps, 30 sec rest between sets

Hyperextensions-3 sets 8-12 reps, 45 sec rest between sets

Decline Situps-3 sets 8-12 reps, 45 sec rest between sets

AND THAT IS IT!!! I do not believe in isolation movements at all, I feel compound pushes and pulls are enough and I also dont believe in direct shoulder work as the front delts get pounded with chest and the rear delts with back. The only things I occasionally add in are lateral raises to the side and sometimes shrugs. I occasionally super set these same exercises, I use the same rest times in between sets but I will do one set of pullups, rest, one set of dumbell presses, rest, repeat, etc. I had to substitute hack squats for traditional squats and hyperextensions for deads due to a back injury. I also do dumbells for my chest because its more user friendly on the old shoulder. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for any nattys that may want to try it. I use it for cutting and bulking, when cutting I do three days per week of cardio(on opposite days that I lift) usually just jogging outside for 2-4 miles. My diet is .8-1g of Protein per pound of bodyweight, my fat intake is between 30-60g per day, and carbs vary depending on whether or not I am cutting or bulking. Usually(when maintaining) I take in around 300 grams per day of carbs, when cutting I take in 150g and when bulking I take in 4-500g.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I'm gonna be frank (you can still be solidj55), but that workout looks like shit ! All of it !

You don't believe in shoulder movements ??? Doing 3 sets of dips & chest press doesn't do a whole lot for your shoulders. Sure it hits them a little, but IMO not enough to obtain any decent size gains.

Even if you are avoiding shoulder, your leg routine could use a little tweaking - especially if you say you are after looks...

The body works as a whole - you have one leak weak in the chain, something's not gonna work right.

How do you expect to fatigue a muscle by working it once ??? In order to build muscle tissue, you must first tear it down first. (Granted you don't actually gain more tissue, just the cells get bigger).

But that's just me.......everyone is different...
    Last edited by KeyMastur; 02-18-2003 at 07:54 PM.

yellows2k is offline Member
    If you are consistently getting stronger and can measure your progress, don't stop...

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    as for never doing shoulder movements .....

I NEVER EVER have done (nor do I do now) any shoulder Iso movements ....

even with that, I've got big front delts ....

but then again, I do heavy bench, military presses, and do the complete roll when doing lat pulldown/seated row

Originally posted by RealMenBench
    as for never doing shoulder movements .....

I NEVER EVER have done (nor do I do now) any shoulder Iso movements ....

even with that, I've got big front delts ....

but then again, I do heavy bench, military presses, and do the complete roll when doing lat pulldown/seated row
    Exactly dude, same here. Powerlifting built my delts to a whole new level

Originally posted by yellows2k
    If you are consistently getting stronger and can measure your progress, don't stop...
    I agree.

Originally posted by KeyMastur
    I'm gonna be frank (you can still be solidj55), but that workout looks like shit ! All of it !

You don't believe in shoulder movements ??? Doing 3 sets of dips & chest press doesn't do a whole lot for your shoulders. Sure it hits them a little, but IMO not enough to obtain any decent size gains.

Even if you are avoiding shoulder, your leg routine could use a little tweaking - especially if you say you are after looks...

The body works as a whole - you have one leak weak in the chain, something's not gonna work right.

How do you expect to fatigue a muscle by working it once ??? In order to build muscle tissue, you must first tear it down first. (Granted you don't actually gain more tissue, just the cells get bigger).

But that's just me.......everyone is different...
    Dont tell Charles Poliquin that bro. He actually helped me design this routine.

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    I am just curious about that kind of workout, i have been seing similar stuff often, it just seems too easy to be true but i guess it just me..
    How many time would you do such a workout in a week? only 3 set for one muscle group..

Well I do my Day 1 and Day 2 once per week. Thats it. As soon as I get my bodyfat down a little lower I will post pics for those that dont believe what can be accomplished with this. I am telling you guys, its all about simplicity. Do heavy compound movements, screw the isolation exercises they are not needed. I am not saying they are useless but not necessary. The only thing I would change about the workout I do now is I would change the Hack Squats to REAL Squats and I would change the Hyperextensions to Deadlifts(one week)
    and Stiff Leg Deads(the next week). But since I have back problems this works better for me.

candog22 is offline Junior Member
    Im gonna take Solid55s side on this one....

For the past 9 weeks, Ive been doing a program that alternates lifting and cardio every other day, 6 x a week. Lifting days alternate between upper body (chest, shoulders, back, bis and tri) and lower body (quad, ham, calf, abs). Essentially 1 exercize per bodypart. I was skeptical when I started, but I have seen better results with this than in the past few years - some of it due to a clean diet as well. I didnt think one exercise per body part was enought - had been doing 3 per body part, one body part per day. Now I wonder if it wasnt a case of over training.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    dang, this sounds like something i should try...cept i think i'm addicted to shoulder movements...something about the pain

so, let me get this straight...you only lift 2 days each week?

Well, the reason I lift like this is because I only have two days per week that I can lift. My gym is closed when I am going to work(5am) and usually closed when I get off of work. I work long days sometimes up to 7 days per week. I only have time for 2 days per week, thats also why I started running, because you can do that outside anytime of the day regardless. I needed cardiovascular work anyway but I mainly did it for calorie/fat burning reasons. If I had more time I would add one more day per week lifting. If I could I would lift three days per week like this.

Day 1
    Dumbell Bench Press-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Seated Barbell Military Press-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Dips-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Decline Situps-3 sets(30 sec rest between sets)

Day 2
    Pullups-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Dumbell Row or Chest Supported T-Bar Row-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Hyperextensions-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Standing Barbell Curls-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Oblique Twists-3 sets(30 sec rest between sets)

Day 3
    Hack Squats-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Hamstring Curls-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Standing Calves-3 sets(1 min, 15 sec rest between sets)
    Hanging Knee Raises-3 sets(30 sec rest between sets)

Then I would continue to do my three days of cardio per week.

I know I said I wouldnt do direct shouler exercises, but if I had more time to lift and more time to plan my recovery I would do Military Presses
    with a very light weight. I can do then lightly almost pain free but right now I dont feel that they are worth while to try and fit into my two day per week split.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    this reminds me of the "Fat to Fire" workout...you ever check that out on T-mag? not quite the same, and probably just as hard (i've done fat to fire...WOW) but very similar...i'll have to keep this in mind, it's different than anything i've done in awhile

No I havent ever seen that workout before, I may go to T-Mag and look at it.

Another good version of my routine would be like this.

Day 1
    Hack Squat(or Squat)-3 sets
    Decline Situps-3 sets
    Dumbell Incline Press-3 sets
    Dumbell Rows- 3 sets
    **Superset exercises 1 and 2, then superset exercises 3 and 4.
    **Rest 1min 15 sec between each set of each exercise.

Day 2
    Stiff Leg Deadlift-3 sets
    Hanging Knee Raises-3 sets
    Pullups-3 sets
    Dips-3 sets
    **Superset exercises 1 and 2, then superset exercises 3 and 4.
    **Rest 1min 15 sec between each set of each exercise.

I switch it around like this on occassion.

I also forgot to add that about every 2-3 weeks I switch up my Incline presses by adjusting the height of the incline and sometimes I do flat presses. Also every 2-3 weeks I change my grip on pullups from widegrip to reverse grip to close-supinted grip. I also change from dumbell rows to chest supported t-bar rows every now and then. Everything else stays about the same and I just change the reps and tempo on everything from week to week.

Thread Information