frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member

Mixing in PT requirements with normal weight lifting routine

So I'm in the process of applying for some jobs that have PT requirements. These generally consist of pushups, pullups, situps, and a 1.5 mile run. The running is fine, because it doesn't interfere with my normal routine (I run 30-40 min after my workouts usually).

However, the only way in the past that I've been able to quickly and efficiently increase the number of pushups/pullups/situps I can do in a row is by doing them almost every day. I'm just trying to figure out how I can do that and still do my normal workouts.

My routine looks something like this:

Sunday: Back/Biceps/Abs/Cardio
    Tuesday: Chest/Triceps/Cardio
    Thursday: Abs/Extended cardio
    Friday: Legs/Shoulders/Cardio

Will doing the above while also doing the pushups, pullups and situps every day result in overtraining and actually negatively affecting what I can do during PT testing?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Mate,
    IMHO, you have conflicting goals. With your pushups, etc. you are goaling yourself at max reps.
    Is it safe for me to assume your workout goals limit reps to under 15 to max growth?
    Additionally, with pushups, pullups, etc.... the heavier you are, the less you do, which is contrary to your other goal for growth.
    Since growth only occurs when muscles rest, and since the best way to max your reps for pullups etc is exercising multiple times daily, any idea of growth from your wo routine will be kept to a minimum due to lack of rest. You may want to modify your goals somewhat to maintain your current size as you seek to max out reps for pullups etc. So the short answer is it seems you would be overtraining with the two different sets of goals you have now.

When you say PT, does this mean you are in the military? I ask cause I'm a vet myself, and it seems I may have been in a similar situation you are facing here currently.

I'm essentially asking exactly what you're asking me. My main issue was whether or not I could keep focusing on strenth while simultaneously gaining high muscle endurance for those specific exercises. If I need to give up the strength training, I will. I just didn't want to if I didn't have to because getting the jobs aren't guaranteed and I'd be sacrificing my strength goals if I just focus on doing endurance training every day.

I've done the evil russian pushup routine back in the day, and it was pretty intense but it drastically increased the amount of pushups I could do in a short amount of time.

So I guess I should just take out the chest, tricep, lat and bicep exercises I normally do while I work on increasing my endurance in the PT requirement exercises? I'm not military, but it is similar (law enforcement).

when I was a skinny shit in the army, I could easy do 100+ pushups. After awhile, it became a joke and boring, so we would put cinder blocks on our shoulder blades and keep going.
    Now that I'm stronger and heavier (and older), I really struggle to hit 50. I mean I'm ready to collapse.
    If it were me, I'd take a break from the strength training and just focus on those things you are trying to accomplish. And I hate to say this, but losing weight will improve everything, including your running.
    I remember back in basic training, they would make us do pushups almost every hour. our endurance increased dramatically. Most of the fellas lost alot of weight.
    So, and again, if it were me, I'd only focus on what you need to do now, and restart the strength training once you have conquered this particular goal.

Now you are probably conflicted because giving up LBM sounds like a piece of crap. But if all goes well, and you have sufficient muscle memory, it should all come back within a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck mate!

I appreciate it. I know exactly what you're talking about with the weight. I used to be about 20 pounds lighter and could bang out pullups like it was nothing. It's a whole new beast now, and I have to use assistance if I want to do sets of 10 now.

well, I'm about 75 lbs heavier now than when I could do pullups like a monkey in the army. At my weight (235), pullups are a real bitch!

CFforged is offline Junior Member
    People never believe it until they experience it, but with CrossFit training you can increase strength and muscular endurance simultaniously. There are guys at our gym who can deadlift 500+ lbs, rep out 60+ push ups and run a 6 minute mile.

matt77 is offline Member
    When I was training for the P/U. S/U, run routine a few years ago I used the 100pushup.com plan for pushups and sit ups. I used the couch to 5k plan for my running because I was a slug running. What I did was the P/U, S/U routine every other day through the week (M W F) and rest on weekends. I also made it a habit to do just 10-20 reps of each on my off days. About once every 10 days I did a heavy upper body workout with some high volume leg work. I feel it was the best training I could do to prepare for the task. But you are right doing the actual PT is the only way to get good at it. Good Luck!!

Regular guy is offline Junior Member
    I increased pu and su while lifting. I just added three sets of each to the end of my lifts. Other times I wake up do pu/su before getting dressed, well put on underwear or my "dingle-dangle dangles in the dirt." Pullups I like to add every other day. Hope it helps.

Thread Information