View Poll Results: do you think benching on the smith machine is cheating big time?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

8 40.00%
  • no

12 60.00%
    popa is offline Senior Member

smith machine(benching)

do you think benching on the smith machine is cheating big time?

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    only if you consider a smith max a true max, because it's not ......

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    It is good for a change up once in a while, lets you go really heavy with out worrying about the stabalizer muscles. But I wouldn't make it a staple of my chest routine. As for the cheating, hell ya, I can go about 40lbs over my max on a smith. haha. I love it.

Pain

redrumkev is offline Associate Member
    you can go alot over your max is right. 1st off - smith bars - atleast at my gym only weight 15lbs, plus you can get some momentum going. But I think smith and hammer strength are good - to use on say 1 exercise - maybe flat, decline or incline - pick one - every other workout or something.

Steele is offline Member
    i used smith presses for awhile, too long, because when i went back to regular bench press it was wobbling all over, almost embarassing. haven't done them sense.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    hell no. i dont really like the smith machine for anything except standing calf raises (standing on a box) and shrugs. i LOVE doing shrugs on the smith machine. but never bench or incline and certainly never squats

powerlifterjay is offline Respected Member
    I like it. As i am training for a bodyuilding show currently i use it more often. I do inclines and some squats on it. BUt like someone up top said dont think its your max. Plus i do reps on it only. I dont think i ever did less then 5 reps on one.

When i train for a powerlifting comp i wont step foot inside of it, for anything. It then is useless to me.

I think its more for building and pumping. Not a strength builder or tester. But it does have its place.

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    only for shrugs,calves, and forearms

Hmmm never done bench preses on the smith... but it might be just the thing for my messed up shoulder... straight bench barbell KILLS my shoulder. I can't get anywhere near my max weight.

Gonna have to try it...

Red

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    I use the smith to get a few more reps out of incline

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    when benching i feel that the range of motion is too unnatural for flat bench. ill use the machine for some quick sets of reps when i am finished with my normal workout to get a good stretch without straining. i agree with most though...use the machine for shrugs/forearm curls because of the stability it provides. i wouldn't make the smith machine a staple exercise in my training though.

jersey juice is offline Member
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    Hmmm never done bench preses on the smith... but it might be just the thing for my messed up shoulder... straight bench barbell KILLS my shoulder. I can't get anywhere near my max weight.

Gonna have to try it...

Red
    I used a smith machine for 8 months rehabing my shoulder, I messed it up using barbell benching... I finally just started using dumbbells again... no more barbell for me, dumbbells or smithmachine now... I'm strong enough and big enough, now I just want to be able to lift injury free to keep it! Barbell puts way too much stress on my shoulder now, anything above 225 and I can feel it wanting to slip

metalanimal5o is offline New Member
    Ive just started useing the smith machine for inclines and i like it.I can focus more on my chest and not have to worry about my shoulders giving out. Then again i do have a few shoulder problems.

Thread Information