Yung Wun is offline Member

critique football program designed by Michigan state SC coach

Deadlift - The routine begins with the deadlift. The trainee is told to perform one or two warm-up sets before placing the maximum amount of weight possible on the bar for a 12-15 rep range.

*Leg Curls - The deadlift set is immediately followed with a set of leg curls, again using the 12-15 rep range. Once the lifter fatigues, the spotter will assist with the execution of 2-3 forced reps

*Leg Press - The leg curls are followed with leg presses, again taking the set to fatigue in the 12-15 rep range with the inclusion of 2-3 forced reps (if possible) to complete the set.

*Leg Extensions - As soon as the leg press set is completed, hustle the individual to the leg extension machine and crank out 12-15 strictly performed reps, again with 2-3 forced reps

*Leg Press (again!) - Rounding-out the routine is another set of leg presses. Obviously, the weight will be reduced quite significantly from the first set, but the range is still in the 12-15 area. The forced reps at the end will complete as grueling (and productive) a lower body workout as any of your athletes have ever experienced.

this is what michigan state strenght condition coach ken mannie
    players refer to as "filthy five". this is an offseason program and only suggested to be used once a week

what do you guys think of this program

yellows2k is offline Member
    Is this done on purpose for a specific reason, or did he just pick these 5 and name it this special name to take credit?

If so, can't you just sub some excercises like leg press with squats? Or is there another day for squats and what not?

its designed just for a total lower body blast
    it was given its nickname by the michigan state athletes
    this is just one lower body shock workout
    there are his other workouts with squats and what not
    i went to his seminar while he was in my city
    i had the opportunity to go through one of his upper body workouts
    his workouts are very intense and short and sweet
    if you want more of his workouts just let me know and i'll post them up
    mannie stated that at michigan state they trained every athlete the same whether it be basketball,hockey or football they all use the same program.

Yes I would like to try these workouts, lets see some more! Great job, and thanks!

lower body workout #1

Routine #1 - Leg Press Descending Pyramid

This routine involves three sets of leg press, which is a compound movement (i.e., a double-joint exercise involving both the leg and hip musculature) separated with three isolation movements (i.e., single- joint exercises such as leg curl and leg extension).

The leg press sets are performed in a "descending pyramid" fashion - in other words, the weight and reps are reduced for each successive set. These reductions are necessary due to the work intensity and fatigue incurred from the cumulative effects of the routine.

Drawn-up, the entire routine looks like this:

Leg press: 12-15 reps

Leg curl: 8-12 reps

Leg press: 9 --11 reps

Leg extension: 8 -12 reps

Leg press: 6 -8 reps

Hip abduction: (outer hip/thigh) 8 -12 reps
    * The approximate recovery time between each set is 1 and1/2 to 2 minutes

lower body workout #2
    Routine #2 - Pre-Exhaust

This routine is brutally difficult, involving two rounds of three exercises done in succession with minimal recovery time. Two isolation exercises are performed first, thus fatiguing the quadriceps and hamstrings. A compound movement immediately follows the second isolation movement to work not only the fresh muscle fibers of the hip area, but also the already spent posterior and anterior leg musculature.

Following is the routine:

Leg curl: 8 -12 reps

Leg extension: 8 -12 reps

Leg press: 12-15 reps

These exercises are done in immediate succession, with only as much
    recovery as is needed to proceed to the next exercise. All of the weights
    should be pre-set so that no time is wasted in beginning the next movement.

Upon completion of the leg press set, allow for a 3-minute recovery, then repeat the sequence. Understand that the weights will be significantly lower
    on all three exercises the second time around, though the loads must still be
    as heavy as possible for the given rep range.

Note: If your goal is to target the hip musculature, perform a set of hip abduction (8-12), immediately followed by a set of hip extension (8-12), immediately followed by a set of leg press (10-15). Have a towel on hand to wipe your tears after performing either one of these routines!

lower body workout #3

Routine #3 - The Double-Double/Double-Single

As indicated, this routine begins with two successive double-joint movements followed by two successive single-joint movements. For our double-joint movement in this routine, we like to use a modality known as the "Tru-Squat." This machine allows us to perform the squat movement with firm back support and proper leg and hip position.

The isolation movements used in conjunction with the Tru-Squat are hip flexion (drawing the thigh toward the abdominal region with either machine or manual resistance placed just above the knee area) and hip adduction (drawing the legs together from an abducted {spread} position with either machine or manual resistance placed in the inner thigh and ankle regions).

The routine sequence looks like this:

Tru-Squat: 12-15 reps
    Tru-Squat: 8-10 reps
    Hip flexion: 8-10 reps
    Hip adduction: 8-10 reps

(For further information on the Tru-Squat, contact Southern Xercise, Inc., (800) 348-4907)

We suggest a 2-minute recovery after each Tru-Squat set and a 1-minute
    recovery between the hip flexion and hip adduction sets.

We like to use this routine on a day where our intention is to "lighten-up"
    our lower body work, but still provide some strength stimulation to the area.

(Note: The leg press, deadlift, or conventional squat can be substituted for the Tru-Squat.)

Closing Thoughts

These routines can be rotated throughout the training week in a multitude of ways. Whether your current philosophy calls for total body workouts, upper/lower split routines, or a combination of both approaches, you will find these routines to be a welcomed adjunct to any system of strength training.
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 02-22-2003 at 09:26 AM.

upper body workout

THE ROUTINE This series of exercises is what is known as a pre-exhaust routine -- where a single-joint movement immediately precedes a double-joint movement for the same area of the body. Example: A set of dumbbell chest flys (6-8 reps) followed immediately with a bench press set (6-8 reps). Performing the exercises in this fashion allows you to isolate the target muscle group(s) (in this case, the pectoral muscles) with the single-joint movement. You then intensify the stimulus to that same area with a double-joint movement that uses assistant muscles (in this case, the triceps and anterior deltoids) to further fatigue the already spent target area.
    When done properly - with the appropriate physical intensity and aggressive mind-set - an entire workout done in this fashion is exceptionally grueling. It is also highly productive and even fun for your players who love to train.
    Note: It is important to perform the two exercises listed for each body part with little or no rest in between to achieve the full pre-exhaustion effect. A short rest (one minute or less) can be taken between body parts. All weightloads should be pre-set on the bars or machines to avoid wasting time.
    1) Dumbbell Fly
    Immediately followed by:
    2) Barbell Bench Press
    Take a one-minute rest.
    3) Pullover
    Immediately followed by:
    4) Lat Pulldown
    Take a one-minute rest.
    5) Lateral Raise
    Immediately followed by:
    6) Seated Front Military Press
    Take a three-minute rest, and then repeat the routine in the same fashion.
    In this routine, the following areas are worked in an aggressive manner: Chest (exercises 1 and 2), Upper Back (exercises 3 and 4), and Shoulders (exercises 5 and 6).

How many days of rest between upper body and lower body? And do you just switch up the lower body routines every time you train?

Interesting. SO that's the only upper body workout? And no direct arm work? I like it ALOT!!

thats the only upper bodyworkout i have
    but you can change it up just getting the basic idea of exhaust techniques, there was never no direct armwork
    and i was mistaken reading this over its a full body split
    mon.wed.fri
    using one of the normal leg workouts above
    total time in the gym is an hour
    so this is a very intense workout
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 02-23-2003 at 09:56 AM.

How many times do you do the leg workout per workout and upper body workout per workout?

3-4 times in a workout
    and thats it

solidj55 is offline Member
    So you are saying you do one of the leg workouts on Monday, another one on Wednesday, and that first one you posted on Friday, in addition to that you are also doing an upper body workout on Mon/Wed/Fri. Is that right? Or are you saying you do upper one day, lower the next day, etc? I am a little confused by your post on that. Also, how many times do you repeat the circuit duruing one workout, oh I am speaking of the upper body and lowerbody workout.

mon/wed/fri is both upper and lower
    the first workout that i posted originally is a shockworkout
    lowerbody workouts through 1-3 are just different variations
    you can perform the number one workout for two-three weeks
    then switch up to number 2 workout for week 4
    the circuit is performed 3-4 times so leg workout number one is performed 3-4 than upperbody 3-4
    complete the entire squence then repeat thats all your doing
    hoped i cleared it up for you
    and questions feel free to ask

anyone else care to comment on this program?

rotunda is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like a total strength and conditioning program to me. Deciding to use it would depend on the goals (bulking/cutting/conditioning). It definitely looks exhaustive though- maybe some concern about overtraining, especially the lower body. That's just my opinion b/c I work the lower body once per week. I wonder what the feedback is from his players.

Thread Information