solidj55 is offline Member

Anyone here ever in the military?

If so I have a question or two. I know you run and do all kinds of pullups/pushups/dips/leg lifts/etc. I was just wondering how one would go about training for the amount of running that is done in boot camp. I am not going into the military as I already have the job I want as a police officer BUT I am about to go to the police academy. I am in good shape now and could breeze through the physical part of the academy but I am one to over prepare lol. I want to go into the police academy as if it were boot camp for the Marines. Any running suggestions or anything?

yellows2k is offline Member
    I understand your position. I am a very competitive person too and if I went in there I would wanna be the best in there. All I could suggest is to keep running for longer and longer sessions faster and faster. Just go as long as you can at a fast rate and when you get winded, jog for a couple and then sprint again. That's how I would go about it.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i went to bootcamp
    and let me tell you brotha
    if you wanna prepare yourself like its bootcamp
    run and run till you puke and puke

Originally posted by Yung Wun
    i went to bootcamp
    and let me tell you brotha
    if you wanna prepare yourself like its bootcamp
    run and run till you puke and puke
    Ok. LOL

I just ran 2 miles, its 19 degrees here and snowing, there is about 1/2 inch on the ground. Damn that sucked really bad.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Just be sure you can run. I know in the Marines they will make a good runner out of just about anyone with some of the bootcamp incentives

The best advice I can think of is to simply be sure you can run and are not prone to injuries like shin splints (you'd be pretty prone to shin splints if carrying extra mass and not used to running) that will keep you from finishing... Just be in good overall shape and you will do fine.

Thanks dude. I used to get shin splints really bad but I figured out how to train that muscle to keep that from happening. My only problem with running is the endurance. I am built for sprints and power. Thats why I was successful as a powerlifter and a sprinter(this was back in the day).
    I am short/stocky and endurance comes hard for me, plus running makes me lose my mass really fast even eating 4000 cals per day. Buts its worth it to me to be in shape. Like I said, I am doing this to get in good shape and be the best at the academy. Besides, I dont want all that mass, I want to lean, muscular, and look like a Mens Health model(lol thats a good ways away)

Endurance training is good for bodybuilders too.

As far as running - I would suggest you don't go all out everyday but have 3 different routines per week to become a faster runner...

Day 1: Run for distance. A nice easy pace that keeps you running for about an hour - around 8-10 miles or so.

Day 2: Run for strength. Sprints, Pick-ups, and such...

Day 3: Run for score. Have a test day once per week. Run 3 miles and keep a score card for yourself so you know you are progressing. Every week try and beat this score. If you do not progressively get better - then your are doing something wrong... diet, training, sleep...

Originally posted by Warrior
    Endurance training is good for bodybuilders too.

As far as running - I would suggest you don't go all out everyday but have 3 different routines per week to become a faster runner...

Day 1: Run for distance. A nice easy pace that keeps you running for about an hour - around 8-10 miles or so.

Day 2: Run for strength. Sprints, Pick-ups, and such...

Day 3: Run for score. Have a test day once per week. Run 3 miles and keep a score card for yourself so you know you are progressing. Every week try and beat this score. If you do not progressively get better - then your are doing something wrong... diet, training, sleep...
    Sounds like a really good idea dude. Help me design it?

The sprint portion that is. I know one day run for about an hour at a good slow/comfortable pace and then one day run sprints and the the last day run an all out mid-distance run.

How would you do the sprint day as far as sprint distances, rest times, number of sprints? Also how many days would you rest in between training days? For me I may need 2-3 days in between rather that just one day. But thats just from my past history of training for runs. By the way I only lift weights twice per week.

Originally posted by solidj55

Sounds like a really good idea dude. Help me design it?
    Tried and true idea brah - I have used it on many people [in the military] and lowered their run times... including my own. But that is basically your design... beginning with a M-W-F approach with weekends off.

Originally posted by solidj55
    How would you do the sprint day as far as sprint distances, rest times, number of sprints?
    I would start you off with wind sprints. Run a quarter mile and then walk. Monitor your heart rate and allow it to drop about 20-30 bpm. Then do another sprint. Also, when you sprint - this is the best time to focus on form... push yourself hard and get a good runners form and try and use it the other days while running slower.

Pick-ups are also very effective. They help you develop a resistance to fatigue by teaching you to push while you are tired. Basically like sprints but you don't walk inbetween... you do a slow run. Use this on your score day too - at the end of the run push yourself to get the best time. It all comes together...

Another big thing is to stay hydrated! AT NO TIME SHOULD YOU STOP SWEATING.

Originally posted by Warrior

I would start you off with wind sprints. Run a quarter mile and then walk. Monitor your heart rate and allow it to drop about 20-30 bpm. Then do another sprint. Also, when you sprint - this is the best time to focus on form... push yourself hard and get a good runners form and try and use it the other days while running slower.

So how many times would you do this dude? I mean would you go by number of actual sprints, or by time or what? Sorry for so many questions dude.

I mean how many sets of these, I know you only do this workout 1x per week.

^

For sprints do the distance of your score day. If you plan to score for 3 miles - do sprints for 3 miles. As you progress you will recover faster and be able to do more sprints in the same distance. And this will also reflect on your 3 mile run time because you are srinting the same 3 mile distance.

See how it all kind of fits together?

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate the help. I think I will have to work up to the 1 hour long run and all but I am going to use this workout. I am thinking of starting out with a 40 min run as my long run, then using 2 miles as my score run and do 2 miles total worth of sprints.
    After about 2 weeks I will move from 40 to an hour and from 2 to 3 miles. Sound ok?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Great advice Warrior, of course one can never expect anything less from you......thanks to being prior service, I hate running, also being an ex-diver, I see a swimmimg pull and the urge to run the other way kicks in. LOL

calidude is offline Senior Member
    SEMPER FI

Originally posted by calidude
    SEMPER FI
    Damn Jarhead!!! Just kidding bro, I'm an ex squid myself!!

sphinks is offline New Member
    I recently grad. at fort benning Goergia and becoming a army ranger,I tell you boot camp is a walk in the park to what they put you through at ranger school.Its your choice to inlist for this life changing experience and will definetly change you to a better person mentally and physically...If you can handle the exstreme measures that you encounter.If you are already in shape and know you will do well...Just keep a positive attitude and you will acheive your goals.good luck

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN

Damn Jarhead!!! Just kidding bro, I'm an ex squid myself!!
    a lot of my friends were in the NAVY i was stationed in NORFOLK/ VIRGINIA BEACH

Originally posted by calidude

a lot of my friends were in the NAVY i was stationed in NORFOLK/ VIRGINIA BEACH
    Hey I was in Norfolk, just for a few weeks back in.....Feb of '98. Who knows, we might have met before and not realize it.

Originally posted by sphinks
    I recently grad. at fort benning Goergia and becoming a army ranger,I tell you boot camp is a walk in the park to what they put you through at ranger school.Its your choice to inlist for this life changing experience and will definetly change you to a better person mentally and physically...If you can handle the exstreme measures that you encounter.If you are already in shape and know you will do well...Just keep a positive attitude and you will acheive your goals.good luck
    Congrats bro.....I've known a few Rangers in the past. Graduating from BUDDS myself in '97, I understand how regular basics is cake walk compared to the difficulties of going elite.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Geez, when I went through Air Force basic training all we had to do was 12 situps, 12 pullups, and 12 pushups, and run something like one and a half miles in 15 minutes. A year after I got out of basic, the Air Force discovered that most AF people were so far out of shape that they no longer could the 12/12/12 and 1.5 in 15, so they started an annual fitness testing program, and made those that failed do remedial training. Oh yah, we had lots of blimps in the USAF lol . . .

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    Whats up fellas,

First off, congrats on the deciding to prepare for it.

Im an Marine Corporal, and I want to boot camp as a fat lazy civilian, and It sucked pretty bad. Not only are you the slowest mofo out there, the Drill Instructors single you out.

If I could do it all over again, I would have busted my ass before I went to save me the isolation and pain.

Now I run three or ofour times a day. On the Marine Corps Physical fitness test you must do 20 pullups, 100 crunhes, and a 3 mile run in under 18 minutes.

As far as running goes, heres what I'd do to make myself a horse!

First off stop smoking if you do...Thats like beating a dead horse!

Vary your routines for example:
    One day run a long distance (which varies depending on your fitness level)
    Next day Run faster, shorter distance, and throw in some stairs and sprints till you cant breath.
    Next day, run a moderate distance at a faster pace.

Basically just change it up, and the results will come faster.
    If you really want a challenge, enter yourself in some local triathalons, decathalons, or marathons (if your up for it and can handle it).

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC last year.....It kicked my a$$ pretty good!

BigTek is offline New Member
    Last edited by BigTek; 04-24-2009 at 04:40 AM.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    wow this was alot of help for me as I am going to go to boot camp as well thanks for the info but I have a question what not to take away from the thread what kind of workout should I do to get my abs in better shape for the sit-up testing

BigTek is offline New Member
    Last edited by BigTek; 04-24-2009 at 04:40 AM.

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    as in how many reps and sets and in how much time

Thread Information