flexshack is offline Member

bench press or dumbell press?

believe it or not, but i have never really incorporated the bench press into my workout routine ever. i have always just stuck with the good old dumbells. (i hit the chest other ways also but never with the bench press). is this bad? are they different in any way? are the dumbells harder than the regular bench press? i thought that they were and therefore thought that they would be more effective, am i right? i have bench pressed a barbell before, just not part of my routine. i was goofing around with friends along time ago. so i know how it feels. anyway, thanks.
    flex

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    i dont think what your doing is really terrible but.... on the other hand i feel that variety is key. i always switch around what i do to make sure that either doesnt fall too far behind the other. the main benefit that i have read about standard bench press is that you can lift a higher amount of poundage total. meaning you may beable to use the 100lb dumbells for 10 reps but you can usually do more than 200lbs on the bench for 10 reps....does that make sense?? i hope so....so the argument there is that if your trying to add muscle you want to puch around as much weight as possible......who knows though...so in my eyes play it safe and start incorporating flat bar bench at least a little. but over all if your pushing yourself to the limits and doing everthing else right the difference may not be noticable......

gorilla

MsFit is offline Female Member
    There's nothing really wrong with not having regular flat barbell presses in your routine, but if you want to build mass, power and strength, they are the best builder.
    MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I'm better know as misfit!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i truly feel that you should use both. soem guys alternate them every week, every other workout, etc. it's all about change and differetn angles. the more different ways you can hit a muscle, the better

MarkyMark is offline Member
    I agree with dane .... and the other points are valid ...

Depending on your body composition you may need to focus growth somewhere else on your body B4 targeting chest .... But when it comes to chest development you want to hit some agles and with a varied excercise ...

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Do flat bench and incline dumbells. Then switch it up in a few weeks. I used dumbells for a while, and got bigger and stronger. The problem is when I returned to flat bench, my lifts were terrible. I mix them up from then on.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    I warm up with flat bench, and then do db inclines. Mixing it up is an excellent idea.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I think the good thing about DB press is you do get a better
    stretch . But barbell press you should use because you can
    use a lot more weight so it all depends on if you are training
    for mass or shape.

MsFit is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by bexsome
    I think the good thing about DB press is you do get a better
    stretch . But barbell press you should use because you can
    use a lot more weight so it all depends on if you are training
    for mass or shape.
    BAM!! Well said!
    MsFit
    The Elite Physique

MsFit's Pics

I'm better know as misfit!

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    Ill be honest I never do dumbells and I feel that my pecs get stronger because of it

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    EQUIP-

I'm almost the opposite of you, i use mostly dumbells, i use to use only barbells...but my shoulder gets messed up pretty easy, and dumbells feel more comfortable for me. Everyone's different, try the hammer strength machines to, good for a GREAT squeeze....mmm, tomorrow is chest day.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I'm the same way Papa. I use the bar once and a while to switch things up, but I mostly do dumbells.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i usally do inclines first when i'm freshest. it's easier to build an upper chest and the develop underneath than it is to try to get your upper chest to catch up.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Both

I use both BUT useually I just do barbells. I have a problem falling into ruts every once in awhile and I forget to cahnge up. BUT tommorrow is chest day, think that I will grab some dumbells for the change.
    Tobey

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    I used to do only flat bench and after a while it started tearing at my shoulders and upper chest, i only do dumbell's now, usually the 140's for 10 reps, i get a better motion and my stabilizer muscles work better and you get a ripped chest.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    i alternate per week, or every two weeks

Thread Information