usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

long but worth it...hitting a bodypart 2X a wk vs. once a wk

Hey Guys:

Ever since I started lifting, I always trained a bodypart once a week...like I'm sure the majority of people here do now. You know the workout program I'm talking about...the typical chest on mon, legs on tues and so on. Although I always made slow steady gains training that way, I could never get everything to gel together. It was as if all my bodyparts were racing against one other to reach my goals instead of racing with eachother at the same speed. In other words, my chest per say was responding a lot faster to the isolated workouts then my legs.

But, up until recently I started working with a personal trainer who is also a very serious competitive bodybuilder. He put me on a workout program that hits every bodypart basically twice a week. At first, I was reluctant to try it (Its not easy changing something you been doing the same way for yrs) but I have made some real good solid gains on the program so far. With a clean diet of course, I put on a few lbs of muscle in the first month (w/o AS) while keeping the same bf.
    In a nutshell, training a bodypart once a week gave me a good base to start off with, and now training a bodypart twice a week works best for focusing on symmetry. Tell me what you think about training a bp twice a week vs once a week???????? And I will be happy to post the program if enough ppl are interested...Usualsuspect

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Well switching up your workout will always get good results (muscle confusion), how long have you been with this program? If your body can handle it great, everybody is different. For me I can only go one month on a twice a week split then I start feeling like crap, all my joints ache and I just start feeling weaker.

Pain

yellows2k is offline Member
    Actually I have hit my body parts twice a week for about 2 weeks now. My strength has gone up quite a bit in those 2 weeks.

When you do train twice a week, do you keep the same intensity or do you do a heavy day/light day type workout. Many people I know do the twice a week with heavy/light, but I go heavy/heavy.

Originally posted by yellows2k
    Actually I have hit my body parts twice a week for about 2 weeks now. My strength has gone up quite a bit in those 2 weeks.

When you do train twice a week, do you keep the same intensity or do you do a heavy day/light day type workout. Many people I know do the twice a week with heavy/light, but I go heavy/heavy.
    Yea Yellow, i try to go as heavy as possible on everything without sacrificing form. I only do two or three exercises for a bodypart at most but usually get like 5-6 good heavy sets. My body seems to be responding really well to0 this program. Painintheass made a good point about confusing the muscles...but I been training for a few years now always switching things up and taking intensity to the max. I think though this style of training has really added a new dimension to my traiing. As I'm sure you'll agree, it's alot tougher to put on quality muscle when your off-cycle and already pretty lean.
    Peace bro...Usualsuspect

solidj55 is offline Member
    I am interested in the workout dude. Whats it look like.

DAY 1
    Bicycle HR Zone: 90-112 5 minutes

Barbell Squat 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 180 sec
    Barbell Squat (311)1 set 10-12 180 sec
    Breathing Squat 1 set 20 120 sec
    Static Lunge (311) 3 sets 6, 10-12, 10-12 120 sec
    Single Leg Squats 1 set MAX 60 sec
    Leg Press Calf Raises (311) 4 sets 15, 15, 15, 15 30 sec

DAY 2
    Treadmill (Walking) HR Zone: 90-112 5 minutes

Wide Grip Chin Ups (311) 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 90 sec
    Barbell Shoulder Press (311) 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 90 sec
    Underhand Chin Ups (311) 2 sets 8-10, MAX 90 sec
    DB Shoulder Press (311) 2 sets 8-10, 10-12 90 sec
    Front Lat Pulldown (311) 1 set 15-20 60 sec
    Barbell Shoulder Press (311) 1 set 15-20 60 sec
    Standing Barbell Curl (311) 3 sets 8-10, 8-10, 8-10 15 sec
    Lying Tricep Extensions 3 sets 8-10, 8-10, 8-10 90 sec

Day 4
    Treadmill (Jogging) HR Zone: 90-112 5 min

Deadlifts 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 180 sec
    Deadlifts (311) 1 set 10 120 sec
    High Pulls 2 sets 6, 6 120 sec
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts (311) 2 sets 6, 8-10 120 sec
    Good Mornings (311) 2 sets 6, 8-10 120 sec
    King Deadlifts (301) 1 set MAX 60 sec
    Shoulder Shrugs (311) 4 sets 10, 10, 10, 10 60 sec

Day 5
    Treadmill (Jogging) HR Zone: 90-112 5 minutes

Incline Barbell Chest Press 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 90 sec
    Bent-Over Rows 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 90 sec
    Decline Bench Press 2 sets 10, 10-12 90 sec
    Seated Rows 2 sets 10, 10-12 90 sec
    Flat Barbell Chest Press (311) 1 set 15-20 90 sec
    Seated Rows (prong grip) 1 set 15-20 90 sec
    Dips 2 sets 10, 10 90 sec
    DB Hammer Curl 2 sets 10, 10 90 sec

I'm telling ya's, this is one bad ass workout. Go ahead, try it out for yourself.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Originally posted by usualsuspect
    DAY 1
    Bicycle HR Zone: 90-112 5 minutes

Barbell Squat 5 sets 10, 8, 6, 6-8, 6-8 180 sec
    Barbell Squat (311)1 set 10-12 180 sec
    Breathing Squat 1 set 20 120 sec
    Static Lunge (311) 3 sets 6, 10-12, 10-12 120 sec
    Single Leg Squats 1 set MAX 60 sec
    Leg Press Calf Raises (311) 4 sets 15, 15, 15, 15 30 sec

Are you doing all of this in one day!!!

Originally posted by mustang331

Are you doing all of this in one day!!!
    Let me clarify the bicycle is only for a 5 minute warmup in the 90-112 rpm range...definally not 90-112 minutes...hell no.
    This workout usually takes me no more than 45 minutes but requires alot intensity in that short time.

Decoder is offline Banned
    You're trainer is a moron i suggest you ask him to go over muscle recovery times or learn them. I did that work out plan, and i saw the least amount of results with it. He must be a juice head.

Decoder is offline Banned
    The only way to get resluts off that is to be on AS at the same time.

As previosly stated I made some solid gains off this program without the use of AS. I guess that theory on everyone responding differently to different workout programs really is true As for the comment on muscle recovery, I think proper sleep and a high protein diet takes care of that. JMO...Usualsuspect

mustang331 is offline Member
    I don't see how not being on AS you can do that program.. Atleast for me *1* set of 20 rep squats and I am done for atleast 72 hours! This is all I am doing once a week for legs and seeing great results.. I guess when AS comes into play I will need more.. Good luck with it though if it works more power to ya!

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    guys everyones body responds differently i dont see how you just sit and tell him it doesnt work when he told you he wasn't on AS and still making gains. its all about learning how your body reacts.
    JLI

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member

Re: long but worth it...hitting a bodypart 2X a wk vs. once a wk

Originally posted by usualsuspect
    Hey Guys:

Ever since I started lifting, I always trained a bodypart once a week...like I'm sure the majority of people here do now. You know the workout program I'm talking about...the typical chest on mon, legs on tues and so on. Although I always made slow steady gains training that way, I could never get everything to gel together. It was as if all my bodyparts were racing against one other to reach my goals instead of racing with eachother at the same speed. In other words, my chest per say was responding a lot faster to the isolated workouts then my legs.

But, up until recently I started working with a personal trainer who is also a very serious competitive bodybuilder. He put me on a workout program that hits every bodypart basically twice a week. At first, I was reluctant to try it (Its not easy changing something you been doing the same way for yrs) but I have made some real good solid gains on the program so far. With a clean diet of course, I put on a few lbs of muscle in the first month (w/o AS) while keeping the same bf.
    In a nutshell, training a bodypart once a week gave me a good base to start off with, and now training a bodypart twice a week works best for focusing on symmetry. Tell me what you think about training a bp twice a week vs once a week???????? And I will be happy to post the program if enough ppl are interested...Usualsuspect
    usualsuspect,

If I had to guess, I would give more credit to the fact that after YEARS of doing the same routine, you CHANGED your program. Your body can get used to doing the same routine and begin to grow less efficiently. I'm sure the program is good, but don't make the mistake of thinking that that is the main cause for your new growth. Your body is probably telling you as loudly as it can (without taking hostage your own vocal cords) that CHANGE is good. Your body will grow most efficiently when you surprise it--change up your routine.

Best of luck with the new routine (remember to change it up when things slow down).

Re: Re: long but worth it...hitting a bodypart 2X a wk vs. once a wk

Originally posted by BASK8KACE

usualsuspect,

If I had to guess, I would give more credit to the fact that after YEARS of doing the same routine, you CHANGED your program. Your body can get used to doing the same routine and begin to grow less efficiently. I'm sure the program is good, but don't make the mistake of thinking that that is the main cause for your new growth. Your body is probably telling you as loudly as it can (without taking hostage your own vocal cords) that CHANGE is good. Your body will grow most efficiently when you surprise it--change up your routine.

Best of luck with the new routine (remember to change it up when things slow down).
    I agree changing up my routine had more to do with me adding a few lbs. of lean muscle then did the program itself. After looking back at my original post, I realize my post comes off as if I was proclaiming the discovery of this new, amazing, never-seen-before workout program.
    But I figured I would share my new workout routine with everyone and get some feedback on it. While i'm at it...Let's bump>>>>>>>CHANGE IS A GOOD THING! LAterrrrr...Usualsupect

Thread Information