bulknup is offline New Member

working out with hernieted disk

Anyone here working out with a hernieted disk?

I hernieted a disk over a year ago and have slowly been bulking up after getting the ok from my doctor. took three months off and have been slowly bulking up from 155 to 185. Overall, very happy.

However . . . whenever i try to strengthen my lower back i throw my back out. I don't know if this is just muscular or if it is because of my disk. I am thinking it is muscular because the discomfort is only in my lower back and does not radiate down into my leg. Thinking that i just need to slowly strengthen my back muscles.

Anyone here have similar issues?

orto is offline Junior Member
    At which level do you have herniation? Disc herniation is usually result of degeneration because disc loses water. Some MRI studies have shown that after five years herniated disc reheal in about 80%.
    IMO you must strengten your back and abs to give spine a support.

bulknup is offline New Member
    one bulging disk and one hernieted disk. one is L4-5 and the other is L5-S1. funny you should mention strengthening my core muscles, because that is what i am doing and it is throwing my back out of whack. I think it is because these muscles are so weak and i fatigued them. the "whackiness" goes away after about three days. this should help me in the long-term, right?

intobodybuilding is offline New Member
    i have a bulging disk in my L 5 i herniated it 4 years ago now its bulging ive been told to go light and it can take anywhere from 6months to a year to heal the guy who said 5 years is a dumbass

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    L5 or L3 and S1 A year ago it was so bad I couldnt sleep. After 3 days of being awake I finally passed out from exhaustion. Dont know what caused it. Maybe a car accident a couple years ago.
    Right now it feels good and I am hoping it is healing.

But things that cause it to flair up are:
    Incline push ups I guess cause I am putting a lot of pressure on the hip area to keep stiff while my feet are on the counter.

Squats Two days later I can feel it starting to act up
    Crunches with my feet raised a foot above the floor.

If you have a micro fracture in your disc, the jelly that lines the inside, leaks out and then gets pinched by the other discs sometimes hitting your siatic nerve. Not pleasant. It can heal over time if you do not continue breaking the repairs that your body is trying to fix.

Stay away from squats. If you keep fukcing up your disc you might have to have your back fused and that will keep you from bending over.

Thread Information