Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MDMA is offline Banned

Best way to add size on Chest?

Same as thread right before this. I've heard best thing for mass on chest is dips, I've also heard only way is to use dumb bells on flat/incline/decline benchs going wide and heavy. Ive heard all sorts of crap.

Whats the REAL way to add size to your chest?

yellows2k is offline Member
    Heavy weights, low reps, good form, not overtraining, REST and PROPER NUTRITION

MDMA is offline Banned
    Heh... anyone else have a nicely developed chest and want to share how they did it?

Guess you don't believe it. Oh well.

platinum is offline Associate Member

best way

Bumping yellows2k's advice...it's good. I'd like to add, be sure to include squats....heavy ones.

Platinum

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member

Re: best way

Originally posted by platinum
    Bumping yellows2k's advice...it's good. I'd like to add, be sure to include squats....heavy ones.

Platinum
    squats for chest? never heard that one before

MDMA is offline Banned
    lol@this thread.

Well squats add overall mass. I would like to know your stats as well as your numbers for bench, squat, and deadlifts MDMA. I have noticed on this board my advice for the most part is taken as a joke by most of the people on this board. I'm offering advice to what has and is working for me. If it doesn't work for you, it's not on me, all I am is offering advice.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    Originally posted by yellows2k
    Heavy weights, low reps, good form, not overtraining, REST and PROPER NUTRITION
    good call Yellows
    personally what works for me is heavy db inclines and declines
    keep in mind that if you wanna add size make sure your diets on track
    and open to the fact that not everyone responds the same workout
    try adding some drops,pyrimiding,supersets,exhausts etc...

yellows i'm sure MDM was listening to your advice juss looking for others comments on the subject also, i'm certain it wasnt no disrespect to you brotha

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Re: best way

Originally posted by Khull_Khuum

squats for chest? never heard that one before
    Actually, I really think i see where he's coming from. I managed to rationalize my way away from the squatrack for a number of years in my training. Finally, and only within the last year at that, I've dedicated myself to learning to squat properly. And, wouldn't you know it...as my squat went up and my thighs grew, my chest and shoulders (indeed, the whole shoulder complex) grew along with 'em.

I firmly believe, and i've heard it supported anecdotally anyway, that your body "wants" to maintain an equilibrium of sorts, and all parts of your upper body (chest, neck, EVERYTHING) can only get so big if you're keeping the lower body "small". In that sense, squats, and heavy ones, are an ideal manner in which to add some of that desired chest mass, imo.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Heavy weight does not add size - a common mistake. For beginners it can lead to hypertrophy - but not for more advanced. To keep getting bigger you have to start prioritizing for size. Seperate strength training from hypertrophy training.

Hypertrophy training will completely burn the muscle group. Deplete all ATP/CP stores and cause the most increased stores for later - hypertrophy. To do this you must work in advanced priciples like supersets, giantsets, drop sets, negatives... And decrease your rest intervals (RI). It's important to note that when training for size you are not allowing full recovery between sets - while your strength will be limited (strength training RI's are about 2-5 minutes, hypertrophy RIs are generally 60-90 seconds) - it is simply the best way to induce hypertrophy.

Re: Re: Re: best way

Originally posted by BigGreen
    I firmly believe, and i've heard it supported anecdotally anyway, that your body "wants" to maintain an equilibrium of sorts, and all parts of your upper body (chest, neck, EVERYTHING) can only get so big if you're keeping the lower body "small". In that sense, squats, and heavy ones, are an ideal manner in which to add some of that desired chest mass, imo.
    This idea is totally supported by science. Your body wants a balance. If you never train your legs - your upper body can slow down or progress can even stop. Any serious bodybuilder or powerlifter simply has to train legs - and give them their deserved intensity.

It also important to realize the physical changes that happen when working legs. Your lower body holds your largest muscle groups - glutes, quads, and hamstrings. This can be a very taxing workout (and burn many calories) but your body responds by increaseing natural testosterone followed by a greater training induced GH spike. All these natural hormonal changes will effect every muscle in your body.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Good posts as always warrior.

Pain

MDMA is offline Banned
    Aggreed, great posts.

tatty is offline Member
    Any chest exercise superset with weighted dips seems to work well for me.

zillamonster is offline Junior Member
    I do bench press, pullovers and inclined lateral raises, Pec Machine. Have a 48 inch chest, so I guess it is working.

Zilla

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    I feel like chest is one of my stronger bodyparts and I started with a punny chest of 34" and now it's almost 49" so here's my routine...

Flat Barbell Bench Press 6 sets after warm ups (reps 12,8,6,4,4,8)
    Incline DB Bench Presses 3 sets (reps 6-8)
    Incline DB Flies 3 sets (reps 8-10)
    DB Pullovers 2 sets (reps 10-12)

I usually followed this workout for 2 weeks and then switch to Flat DB Bench Presses the 3rd week to get a better stretch...
    As follows:

Flat DB Bench Presses 6 sets after warm ups (reps 12,8,6,6,6,8)
    Incline Barbell Bench 4 sets (reps 8,6,6,6)
    Pec Dec Flies 3 sets (reps 12-15)
    DB Pullovers 2 sets (reps 10-12)

IMO DB Benches are better for isolating and for size gains, but you still need the heavy work with the Flat bench to keep gaining strength, which will lead to more size by you steadily increases your workload...

I've stayed away from Dips because of elbow problems, but they are a proven size builder for lower pec development...

hope this helps

chinups Guest
    I did not read this thread well all of it. I remember reading a thread about what chest exercises were the best, I think they did something like percentages for what exercises and shit like that, it was in a book, does anyone remem ber this thread. Also I think they said that decline barbell bench was the best for development which totall shocked me.

Chins

SonGoku is offline Associate Member
    Yes training, sleeping, eating etc. etc. I agree. But what about doing some site injections to help it along a little bit??

A friend of mine in the gym had a weak chest but it came along pretty well after doing site injections with winny, deca and sust. Offcourse he trained a lot and he eats like a freaking horse!!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I believe they're suggesting drug free examples.........

MR BICEPS is offline Associate Member
    Two ways to get the chest to respond!
    One way is thru the use of a slight decline 10 to 15 degrees.

The other is pre-exhaustion. flat flyes and bench press 30 seconds later. 5 to 6 reps for each exercise is fine.
    This works when all else fails for alot of guys.

Originally posted by chinups
    I did not read this thread well all of it. I remember reading a thread about what chest exercises were the best, I think they did something like percentages for what exercises and shit like that, it was in a book, does anyone remem ber this thread. Also I think they said that decline barbell bench was the best for development which totall shocked me.

Chins
    EMG Relived - posted the results based on muscle fiber recruitment per muscle group using the most effective exercises as a result of EMG analysis...

That EMG studied verifies what I've learned thru the years. Decline bench rules for chest mass!
    Good to know my experimentations were dead on. Declines make my whole chest sore and pump it up much more than other exercises. Thanks for the info WARRIOR!

DUPES is offline New Member

bigger chest

I agree. when I started doing more squats, heaier that is, i found that not only my chest size was increasing, but my bench strength was too. good comment.

DUPES

Big_Poppa1982 is offline New Member
    Explain more about pre-exhaustion please. It was once recommended to me cause I have a weak chest, so I want to know more about it.

Jphill1301 is offline Junior Member
    Heavy dumbell flies. Also try a super set of incline dumbell press right into some flies

PRE EXHAUSTION

Pre-exhaustion is when you hit your chest with an isolation movement and then immediate or 30 seconds later jump into a compound movement which will bring the tri's into play pushing the chest to a greater fatigue level.
    This keeps the stronger muscles such as the triceps from taking over in the movement and making the chest work harder to keep up.
    Just try it and you will see how sore your chest gets. Lets us know how it feels!

tolinka is offline Senior Member

Re: PRE EXHAUSTION

Originally posted by MR BICEPS
    Pre-exhaustion is when you hit your chest with an isolation movement and then immediate or 30 seconds later jump into a compound movement which will bring the tri's into play pushing the chest to a greater fatigue level.
    This keeps the stronger muscles such as the triceps from taking over in the movement and making the chest work harder to keep up.
    Just try it and you will see how sore your chest gets. Lets us know how it feels!
    I feel so dumb and confused at the moment

Re: Re: PRE EXHAUSTION

Originally posted by tolinka
    I feel so dumb and confused at the moment
    Prexhaustion depletes the larger group. For Bench Press, you would first isolate it with flyes. This would stop the weaker bodyparts from failing before chest. So you get better fiber recruitment and max stimulation for the larger bodypart. So when you hit failure it is because your chest is depleted - not the supporting groups.

It's used before exercises that involve two or more muscle groups - compound movements.

So in the end - your triceps and other smaller bodyparts that assist in the Bench Press don't fail before the larger - in this case pecs, chest.

Doing military press you could first do a set of dumbell laterals to prexhaust the delt heads...

That's the best I can try and explain it... hpefully between myself and MR BICEPS you get a feeling on what it is...

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Warrior- thanks again...you are just so full of.....help i mean

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    WARRIOR is the shit....damn I'd like to dump your brain contents into mine!!

platinum is offline Associate Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: best way

Originally posted by Warrior

This idea is totally supported by science. Your body wants a balance. If you never train your legs - your upper body can slow down or progress can even stop. Any serious bodybuilder or powerlifter simply has to train legs - and give them their deserved intensity.

It also important to realize the physical changes that happen when working legs. Your lower body holds your largest muscle groups - glutes, quads, and hamstrings. This can be a very taxing workout (and burn many calories) but your body responds by increaseing natural testosterone followed by a greater training induced GH spike. All these natural hormonal changes will effect every muscle in your body.
    Exactly why I said squats for chest. I guess I just assumed that was common knowledge, thanks for clarifying it for me warrior

Platinum

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Warrior do you do a set for pre-exhaustion first or do you the whole exercise first...Like Flyes or Db lats before bench or Military.....

And if it is just a set do you cycle Isolation set then compound lift for both exercises. Like Do a set of flyes, then a bench set, then set of flyes, bench set, flyes, bench.... Or is it Flyes, Bench, bench, bench, etc.....

Decoder is offline Banned
    Ive read a few studies and trying out this one theory, OF always starting out chest day with incline, So i start with incline bench then incline dumbell press then incline fly's then i do all the usual chest work outs. If you look at your self in the mirror sideways, you will notcie your chest slopes down and inlarge's at the buttom. Look at Arnold or serge Nubret its the opposite, Starting with Incline can help give you that look of a larger chest by increasing the size of the upper chest.
    Last edited by Decoder; 01-29-2003 at 11:22 AM.

Decoder is offline Banned
    Back in the 70's arnold was able to sit a glass of water on top of his chest (while standing...)

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

umm best way??

train properly, consume the right amount of calories from quality sources, and sleep.ifd all else fails in the training, stop training chest for a week or two then go back to it.

Compaq is offline Junior Member

Excellent Idea

Hey warrior,

Thats an excellent Tip. Personally The reason why I decrease in weight during the end of my bench workout is because of my triceps. My triceps start feeling so pumped (tight and hard) that my chest workout starts to decrease in weight throughout the day's chest workout. Advice I can give is, Try benching with a wider grip when holding the bar. This would decrease pressure on your triceps and concintrate more on your chest.

xplicit is offline Member
    PRE EXHAUSTION

It's used before exercises that involve two or more muscle groups - compound movements.

I understand the concept but which chest excises are compound movements and which are not.

Do i do this for before all my compound chest excises for the day? Isnt that too many sets? Can anyone give me example of how there routine goes with PRE EXHAUSTION. Thanks

cdog is offline Associate Member
    This is my workout and and it has been giveing great gains,
    By the way if you are not useing gear you should only be working out no more than 3 times a week .Again this is something that works great for me everybody is different.
    Monday
    Leg extensions 2x7-9
    go straight to squats like have the squat bar loaded befor you do the leg ex.Bang out 2x7-9
    Stiff leg dead lifts 1x7-9
    Leg curls 1x7-9
    Legs are now done and on fire

Chest

Flat bench flys 2x7-9
    go straight to bench press within 3 sec
    Bang out 2x7-9
    Rest about 60sec after you complete those then finish with Incline flys
    2x7-9
    Chest is now done .
    Pull downs 2x7-9
    go straight into bent over rows 2x7-9
    Back is now done.

Delts
    Dumbell upright rows 2x7-9
    straight into behind neck presses 2x7-9
    workout is now done and should only have takein 45min.
    You should alternate each of the work outs eg,1x7-9 dumbell flys 1x7-9 flat bench, 1x7-9 flys , 1x7-9 bench.rest only 3-5sec between flys and bench once you complete 1 set of each rest about 30sec then hit it again .This goes for every thing Iam about to list .

wednesday

Deadlifts 2x7-9
    straight to calf raises 2x7-9

Precher curls 2x7-9
    straight into barbell curls2x7-9

lying tri extensions 2x-7-9

arms done.
    Kneeups 2x7-9
    crunches 2x7-9

Friday same as monday

If you stick to this and do it right Iam sure you will make some great gains.You should be making gains from workout to workout .

Hope this helps

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    My chest is a weak part of my physique. So I am thinking after reading this that I need to start including Decline Press into my workout and also starting the workout off with Dips, PecDec, or flies? Am I on the right track?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information