getNthere is offline New Member

calves wont grow.... help!

k i admit i do hate workin legs...but DAYUM.....i train them once a week and they just dont seem to grow....what kinda exercises could i do...to help boost growth...in my calves ecspecially...

chevy44 is offline Member
    i have the fucking same problem, I HATE MY CALVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Make sure you get a full stretch with them. I see a lot of people that complain about small calves not doing a full range of motion on their raises.

Pain

Slypknot is offline Member
    Best machine I have found for overall calve improvement is the sitdown knee raise one... Some of the hammersmith machines require me to load them up FULL of 45's just to get a good pump...the sit down machine only needs a couple 45's and I'm screaming from the cramping.... gotta love it!

demetri is offline Member
    I've read that it's mostly genetic. It has to do with the muscles in the upper part of your body having a greater concentration of androgen receptors.

The concentration of androgen receptors gets less and less as you go down towards your legs with the calves having the least amount. Some of us are blessed with calves that grow easily. Some aren't as lucky. If you're doing AS you may want to try site injections, GH may help. You could just go with some implants.

I found that doing drop sets on my calves helped a ton, hurts like hell

getNthere is offline New Member
    thanks for the advice....i dunno about site inject with sus though...it hurts pretty much n e where i put it......i wouldnt be able to walk if it were in my calves....ouch!....

TheGame826 is offline Member
    on the sit down calf raise machine, i suggest putting two or three 45 plates, and do three sets off 50, then next week try doing 60 and just keep increasing the weight. Ive seen awsome gains within a month, not the mention i have alot of veins sticking out in them now. im almost proud of my calves as much as everything else.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    FULL RANGE OF MOTION IS MOST IMPORTANT! This is the single most determining factor besides genetics in your calf growth. I also believe that heavy weight helps alot also...but the full range of motion will make or break your calf development!!

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by demetri
    I've read that it's mostly genetic. It has to do with the muscles in the upper part of your body having a greater concentration of androgen receptors.

The concentration of androgen receptors gets less and less as you go down towards your legs with the calves having the least amount. Some of us are blessed with calves that grow easily. Some aren't as lucky. If you're doing AS you may want to try site injections, GH may help. You could just go with some implants.

I found that doing drop sets on my calves helped a ton, hurts like hell
    Let me get this straight...some guy that we know nothing about (stats, training experience, dedication) complains about his calves not growing and a senior member suggests GH or calf implants. I might be over reacting to your comment considering this is a bb site devoted to AS, but I was always under the impression that results come from proper training, nutrition, supplememtation and so forth. I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing here...but I don't think AS is the end all answer to the problem. AS is only a means to an end and not vice versa. Its ashame this "I want it, and I want it now" mentality is so prevalent in our society today.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    second to full range of motion is Peak Contraction..if you can't hold it for a beat at the top you are going to heavy. Hold for a second and flex hard.

Originally posted by usualsuspect

Let me get this straight...some guy that we know nothing about (stats, training experience, dedication) complains about his calves not growing and a senior member suggests GH or calf implants. I might be over reacting to your comment considering this is a bb site devoted to AS, but I was always under the impression that results come from proper training, nutrition, supplememtation and so forth. I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing here...but I don't think AS is the end all answer to the problem. AS is only a means to an end and not vice versa. Its ashame this "I want it, and I want it now" mentality is so prevalent in our society today.
    I'm not suggesting that AS is the end all be all. I think it comes down to genetics and I don't think that AS would benefit much here. It comes down to the concentration of androgen receptors.

A friend of mine was a really good competitive bodybuilder and we tried everything to make those calves grow. They were/are his only week point. They just would not grow.

At first I thought it was because he wasn't doing a full range of motion and I made sure he squeezed all the way through the full range (I'm a bastard with no forgiveness). We saw some progress and it didn't seem to matter if he was on or off we didn't see any difference. Granted that one person does not a rule make.

You'll notice that some guys just swell up in the old trap area as soon as they start a cycle. That's freakin great, but usually the old calves if they're small they stay that way.

I don't think that someone who has all the other bits in place can be accused of improper training. I honestly don't think that any training or AS would make much of a difference. It really comes down to how bad our friend wants big calves.

I suggested GH as it is my understanding that the lack of calf development in most has to do more with the lower concentration of androgen receptors in the lower body. GH may stimulate the growth that he is after but implants are probably cheaper.

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    I've gained an inch on my calves in 2 months. I train them 3 times a week. (15-20 total sets of various calf raises, seated calf raises, and toe raises aka reverse calf raises).

I wasn't getting any results training them once a week.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I love calves. My calves are second only to my Biceps. I get good results from working calves ed. Yes I said every day. Your calf and ab muscles are Cardio muscles which mean they can be worked everyday. It might not be for everyone but for me ed calves works.

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    Personally i think its a must that you make sure to concentrate on getting the full range of motion and then peak contraction is just as important. Not to sound all high and mighty, as were all guilty of probably not training calves as intensly as we should, but calves i believe should be given the same amount of balls to the walls intensity as say chest or biceps, or whatever. Nowadays too many people are quick to say "well i have shitty genetics, my calves will never grow or look the way i want them to..." If you want it bad enough, almost ANYONE can have great calves, i honestly believe intensity is a HUGE key in getting great calves

I wrote in some past posts about having trouble building up my calves. I tried basically everything, with limited success. However, upon hitting calves one leg at a time and 4 days a week I noticied a remarkable difference. I agree that genetics play a very large role in determining calf growth but I refuse to hand them over to genetics and write them off as my worst bodypart. Here's my current calf program:

Calf Combo: ONE LEG

Standing calf raises 10-20
    Leg press calf raise 10-20
    seated calf raises 10-20
    toes up 10-20 (use leg curl machine, reverse presses)
    ankle bouncing 50-100 (stand on floor and do bouncing toe raises)
    static balance 10-20 (hold at top for 1 min)

*Do a right leg combo and a left leg combo

Rich8888 is offline Member
    implants work best

Originally posted by Rich8888
    implants work best
    Why did you have them done before?

Bobbo is offline Junior Member
    Hey everybody,

I just joined a new gym last night. I have only been doing calf raises for about a month now. The other gym I was at had the one for standing calf raises, which I was using. The new gym I'm at only has seated calf raises. I did the seated last night and man can I feel it like never before. Man do they feel pumped!!!

Bobbo

Originally posted by Bobbo
    Hey everybody,

I just joined a new gym last night. I have only been doing calf raises for about a month now. The other gym I was at had the one for standing calf raises, which I was using. The new gym I'm at only has seated calf raises. I did the seated last night and man can I feel it like never before. Man do they feel pumped!!!

Bobbo
    Switching an exercise has a habit of doing that. That's why it's important not to stay too regimented to a workout routine.

Bobbo is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Demetri.

Bobbo

Thread Information