Big_Dan is offline Associate Member

Cardio in the morning or not when IN THE ZONE

I am basically following my diet but doing it the block way, as Barry Sears phd wrote his book.
    In his book, he says that you should eat a snack (100cals or so, containing carbs like fruit etc, protein and fats) BEFORE your workout (30mins) as that will speed up fat loss.
    Is this true? Should I do it?
    He also claims walking for 1hr is more effective than jogging for 30 mins.

Also, if any of you have bought the book, ENTER THE ZONE, what is your rating of it,.

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    It sounds valid, as eating something like that would kick your body into digesting (kick in metabolism etc) before you start actually working .....

I guess it'd be a "jogging start" to a sprint .... so to speak .....

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO, the insulin spike that this will cause will outway the benefits of increasing your metabolism before morning or any cardio. Take some ECA, it is a much better option. BTW, I have read the book and it was informative but I think it needs a lot of changes for a bodybuilding lifestyle.

Pain

hey pain, he also says that caffeine promotes insulin spikes.
    Any info on that?

I have heard that too, but I beleive it to be relatively small, I haven't seen any info on how much it rises insulin so I am sure it isn't that much. I think the effects of an ECA will outweight the slight increase in insulin caused by caffeine.

Pain

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    By what path would thermogenics spike insulin ? I would like to know the explanation here... how thermogenics have any effect on insulin...

The Zone is a very good book on nutrition - if you read this in that book, can I get a page number please?

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Caffiene does mobolize fat usage. All marathon runners drink a cup of coffee before their race. The benefits outweight the diuretic effect.

Originally posted by Warrior
    By what path would thermogenics spike insulin ? I would like to know the explanation here... how thermogenics have any effect on insulin...

The Zone is a very good book on nutrition - if you read this in that book, can I get a page number please?

I can't remember if it is in the Zone or The Glucose Revolution, I will try to find it later tonight. It does seem weird, I think it is more something that causes a slight effect on insulin, I wouldn't call it a spike by anymeans.

Pain

Thats why he goes against any caffeine products, or at least to keep it to a minimum. In the weekend ill get back to this.

This would contradict all the effects of hydroxycut and xenadrine and make them placebo, correct?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    - back to the drawing board Big_Dan...

Found it, couldn't find it in the ZONE but I did find it in Protein Power, Page 104 of the small paper back version.

"most people dont have any trouble with caffeine use. But few will be sensitive enough to insulin output that caffeine will keep their insulin levels somewhat eleveated"

Like I predicted the effects are very small if any, you will only be effected if you are very sensitive to insulin.

Pain

Thread Information