mustang331 is offline Member

Should I get a heart monitor?

I would like to know how to use it while doing cardio as well, I job allot and don't know If I am doing it enough, let me know if I should what kind and how to use it

Thanks

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

cardio w/o a HR monitor is not a good way to go IMO

i think everyone who is doing cardio should have one.just find your training zone and your MAX HR and go to town.get a simple one.you don't need all the bells and whistles.a $50 basic one is all you need to do what your gonna be doing i'm sure

nd2bhge is offline New Member
    i agree w/partyboy hr monitor a realgood investment

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    there is a place online who sells some watches for runners that are fairly cheep in the 50$ range and up, some will log info and do more. cant remember where but if I find it I will post for you.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Rumpster is offline New Member
    Ditto. I wear mine every cardio session.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    You guys that wear heart monitors, have you ever compared the numbers they give to the ones on the cardio machines (the ones that you put your hands on) Are the cardio machine ones accurate??

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    You guys that wear heart monitors, have you ever compared the numbers they give to the ones on the cardio machines (the ones that you put your hands on) Are the cardio machine ones accurate??

Pain

Funny story actually I just bought a heart monitor finally, and I was on the machine and wanted to compare the one on my hand to the one on the machine so I grabbed the handles and they were the same to the T. Then I started running and My heart beat went from 130 to like 155, well the one on the machine was the same as it was cycling back and fourth on the options. BUT My hands were not on the heart thing, So I had no clue HOW THE HELL IT WAS GETTING MY HEART BEAT! till I relized the strap you were around your chest for the watch works with the machines too LOL

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    yeah some treadmills and rowing machines or bikes all use the same freq so it'll pick up the info from your HR moniter

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i noticed that a few different treadmills read my old polar monitor. i like the ironman heart monitor. it costs more but i love features and the chest strap is more to my liking.

its totally needed. you can start with a cheap one and use it for years.
    just make sure it has a chest strap or sports bra options in case you have a loved one that wants to use it.

Eventually you won't need a HR moniter cuz you'll learn to listen to your own heart. OF course this is after looking at the moniter for a few months. YOu have the ability to take a good guess at what your HR will be.

Oh yeah if you're working for moderate to long periods of time you have to take into account Cardiac DRift. It's simply over time your HR will increase even if you keep your intensity the same.

Originally posted by brad fuel
    Eventually you won't need a HR moniter cuz you'll learn to listen to your own heart. OF course this is after looking at the moniter for a few months. YOu have the ability to take a good guess at what your HR will be.

Oh yeah if you're working for moderate to long periods of time you have to take into account Cardiac DRift. It's simply over time your HR will increase even if you keep your intensity the same.
    Really I would think it would decrease due to becoming in better shape..

I cannot jog right now because I go WAY above my zone.. So does this mean my walking will have to slow down EVEN MORE??

i mean you HR will increase during the run, not all the time. you will become more fit, so next run you may have a lower HR or more realisticaly, next week you'll have a lower HR

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    target heart rate is best used for gauging the intensity to burn fat...if you go above you will be burning more calories and conditioning yourself for an increased workload. it all depends what you are doing cardio for...endurance or fat loss.

I am doing it for FAT loss only right now.. I want to maximise my fat loss..

I just want to make sure 65%-70% Will do that..

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by mustang331
    I am doing it for FAT loss only right now.. I want to maximise my fat loss..

I just want to make sure 65%-70% Will do that..
    Yup,

Pain

hybrid is offline Member
    Go to Ebay and search heart rate monitor. They have a ton of them, from basic to full-featured. I saved a bunch of coin over anywhere else on the internet.

Thread Information