Pumped109 is offline Associate Member

Riding a Bike compared to Running

I was wondering how is riding a bicycle compare to running when trying to lose weight? I was told I needed to ride like 5 miles for every one mile I run. Running is just too hard on my knees now. Please give comparisons on this theory. Oh yeah, mainly trying to slim up the ol' stomach for summer. I do ab workout daily in combination with cardio.

sherpa27 is offline Junior Member
    any cardio is good but running is more intense, therefore you can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, although some of these calories might be muscle and less fat, the lower your intensity (heartrate) the more likely you will be burning fat instead of muscle. this is why you notice the really big dudes just walking or riding at amedium pace. if you just wanna lose weight go for the treadmill but if you wanna spare muscle go for the bike, this is just my opinion though

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    How about a time frame. What is a good time limit to ride and or distance. Assuming it is done 5 days a week.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would say the usual 30 - 45 mins at 65% your MHR. It is really a function of your heart rate and not what you are doing. I always switch up my cardio as I find I get used to it just like the same lifting workout and it loses its effectiveness.

Pain

yellows2k is offline Member
    IMO, biking is the smith machine version of running...

Originally posted by yellows2k
    IMO, biking is the smith machine version of running...
    LOL, I have to agree I can never get my heart rate up high enough when I am on the bike.

Pain

demetri is offline Member
    I guess that depends on if you mean running outside vs biking outside. I'd say that you'd have to go about 5 times as far on the bike but you're also going about 5 times as fast.

I think biking outside is great, asuming you're going to put some intensity in it (as much as you would if you were running).

If you mean riding the bike inside then I'd have to say that you're wasting your time. IMO the stationary bike is worthless. If you're inside and don't want to run on a treadmill try one of the steppers.

liztic is offline Junior Member
    i've got the same problem with my knees and running! What's everyones opinion on elliptical trainers? i personally find it easier on joints than the treadmill and better/tougher than the bike

demetri is offline Member
    The eilliptical gets me pouring sweat. I've found though that I've had better results walking on a treadmill with a 10% incline.

The treadmill is nice and easy on the joints and a pretty damn good cardio workout when walking on an incline.

The eilliptical and incline are my main fallbacks. All other forms, are just for variety. I always feel a little "fruity" when I am on the eilliptical though.

Pain

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by painintheazz
    The eilliptical and incline are my main fallbacks. All other forms, are just for variety. I always feel a little "fruity" when I am on the eilliptical though.

Pain
    lol, i was thinking the same thing...i use the elliptical because i can get to my target heart rate and have no joint discomfort...my shinsplints can't take runnnig for lengthy amounts of time and my joints always ache if i've been on the mill, so in order to get that 30 minute workout i need low impact. plus the elliptical i use shows what you are targeting (glutes, quads, hammies, calves) depending on the incline and also allows for massive resistance. overall a quality machine, but i wish my legs could handle running

Yup, running took a toll on my joints when I started cutting from 250ish down to 205lb. Now I just can't run for more than 2 times a week or I get really achy. Anyway running gets my HR too high.

Pain

They say it doesn't matter what you do, as long as your heart rate is in the "zone".

For myself, I sweat the most on an exercise bike and treadmill. I have to work really hard most of the time to get my heart rate high on the bike. I like to run alot, and find that when I am below 190 pounds, my joints don't hurt.

I also use the elipticals. I always split my cardio sessions in half, 15 - 20 on one, and 15 - 20 on another. It is the only way I can make it through my workout.

Now when I am taking eca and hit the treadmill, look out.

Also, I can't stand ding cardio at 65%. I like to get my heart rate at high 150's to low 160's. I just feel so much better after a workout if it is high intensity.

I used to go in the 150-160 range and I liked it better too, but I noticed lots of muscle loss. I have noticed about the same fat lose in the 130 range for me with no muscle loss. I would watch out for that.

Pain

superjew is offline Associate Member
    I have always done high intensity cardio as well. I always heard that it was low intensity/long duration cardio that burned muscle. I always got the example of a sprinters physique vs. a distance runners physique.

Thread Information