ozmax98 is offline Associate Member

High Reps/light Weight Vs Low Reps/heavy Weight

WHAT'S UP FELLAZ,

CURRENTLY AT 6'0 226LBS. I STARTED OUT WITH WEIGHT AT 297.

MY MAIN GOAL IS GO GET AS LEAN AS POSSIBLE BUT ALSO I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A SHRIMP.
    MY EXCERCISE INCLUDE OF DOING MORNING CARDIO ON EMPTY STOMACH FOR 45 MINS AND THEN IN THE AFTERNOON OR EVENING I DO ONE BODY PART A DAY 6DAYS A WEEK AND AFTER LIFTING I DO CARDIO AGAIN FOR 30 MINS.

I'VE HEARD FROM EVERYONE FOR A LONG TIME THAT DOIND 14 TO 16 REPS WITH LIGHT WEIGHTS WILL HELP ME GET CUT AND LOSE BODYFAT(WHAT I WANT TO DO)

BUT NOW I'M HEARING THAT I NEED TO DO A LITTLE HEAVIER WEIGHT OTHERWISE MY BODY WILL GET USED TO DOING LIGHT WEIGHTS AND IT WON'T HELP. WHAT DO U GUYS THINK IS BETTER.

DAY DOING CHEST(EXAMPLE)

4 SETS OF 15 ON FLAT BENCH.
    4 SETS OF 15 ON INCLINE USING DUMBELLS
    4 SETS OF 15 OF BUTTERFLIES
    4 SETS OF 15 ON DECLINE WITH BAR OR DUMBELLS

SHOULD I CHANGE THIS UP TO THIS (USING HEAVIER WEIGHTS NOW)

4 SETS OF 10-12 ON FLAT BENCH.
    4 SETS OF 10-12 ON INCLINE USING DUMBELLS
    4 SETS OF 10-12 OF BUTTERFLIES
    4 SETS OF 10-12 ON DECLINE WITH BAR OR DUMBELLS

OR SHOULD I DO A PYRAMID... STARTING WITH REPS OR 12 THEN TO 10 THEN TO 8 AND THEN COME BACK UP????????

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Doing higher reps will help get you leaner because you will be doing more of an aerobic activity instead of lifting. When I am cutting I usually go to 8-13 reps and rest less inbetween my sets, around 40-60seconds. This works for me. I like it better than doing 16+ reps.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Everyone's different, and I stick with reps ranging from 4-12 whether I'm bulking or dieting.

so i guess i'm good...... i used to do 15 reps of 4 with weight heavy enough that the 15th rep was a bitch to complete. but now i've started to do 12 and i feel like my heart is racing more, i'm sweating more and i feel like i'm getting more of a workout. and once i'm done with my sets i go straight to cardio for 30 to 45 mins so i'm sweating pretty good. fellaz thanks for the help. my goal is to be big with no fat. like everyone but i've seen alot of big guys who just look diesel but once the shirts are off they loook nasty as shit.

thanks.

Originally posted by ozmax98
    so i guess i'm good...... i used to do 15 reps of 4 with weight heavy enough that the 15th rep was a bitch to complete. but now i've started to do 12 and i feel like my heart is racing more, i'm sweating more and i feel like i'm getting more of a workout. and once i'm done with my sets i go straight to cardio for 30 to 45 mins so i'm sweating pretty good. fellaz thanks for the help. my goal is to be big with no fat. like everyone but i've seen alot of big guys who just look diesel but once the shirts are off they loook nasty as shit.

thanks.
    Yup, Cut size is what matters.

Pain

I'm leaning out right now, on main lifts I do sets of 4-8 reps and all secondary lifts sets of 10-12 reps. It's been a couple of weeks and the abs are starting to show!!!! I haven't seen my 6-pack since '97-98. LOL

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Whats weird for me is doing low reps/high weight (4-6 reps) makes my heart race and I sweat profusely after doing the exercise. High Rep / Low weight (8-12) just tires me out QUICKLY. I can do like 3-4 exercises and Im gassed energy wise. Like I cant push/pull my normal weights anymore but it doesnt feel like an aerobic gassing.....

that's awesome big texans.... i still have some ways to go. my gut is gone but i still some handles to take care offf i think i'm gonna start with cardio three times a day.. early morn,,, after workout and then before i go to sleep.....shitttt i think i need to quit my job and school and never go out.lol

Cardio 3 times a day and lifting will be very catabolic, watch out for muscle loss. I suggest watching your diet closer than hitting the cardio 3 times a day. I wouldn't go higher than cardio 2 twice a day. Only once if you are lifting weights at someother time in the day.

Pain

Whhooww.....cardio 3 times a day!!!! I agree with Pain here, twice a day MAX. I believe once a day along with weight training is definitly enough for proper weight loss.

yeah i agree i was just being drastic.. it's just that now i've come from 297 to 226 i'm more eager to get to my goal... so i'm getting anxious but i know time is the only way. nothing comes easy..

Originally posted by ozmax98
    so i'm getting anxious but i know time is the only way. nothing comes easy..
    Good to hear.

Pain

And another one has seen the light!!!! Good call bro.

Jackman is offline Banned
    Originally posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    Whats weird for me is doing low reps/high weight (4-6 reps) makes my heart race and I sweat profusely after doing the exercise. High Rep / Low weight (8-12) just tires me out QUICKLY. I can do like 3-4 exercises and Im gassed energy wise. Like I cant push/pull my normal weights anymore but it doesnt feel like an aerobic gassing.....
    umm after 3 or 4 exercises if you can still do your normal weight it means your not working out hard enough........

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    3X per day of aerobic excersise is too much. A better option is cardio first thing in the morning and resistance training in the evening (increased LBM equals faster metabolism). When your heart rate during aerobic training starts to become faster, 165 BPM vs 145 BPM for the same aerobic intensity... take a few days off to recover - avoid over 15-20 BPM increase or you will walk yourself into major overtraining (which lowers testosterone /LH secretion and increases cortisol) which could take up to a week to recover from...

Also be sure to get plenty of sleep and fuel your system with more spread out calories vs larger, less frquent meals.

Overtraining symptoms and prevention.

There is a supercompensation curve (increased performance over workouts) and you have to find your sweet spot... find where it is not too frequent or not enough... where you continue to make progress.

Thread Information