Thread: Vertical

Jenseno9 is offline Member

Vertical

I would really like to increase my vertical so that I could finally dunk a b-ball. I know that a lot of jumping/explosive power is genetic.(fast twitch muscle fibers). But what kind of excersises could I do to help with my vertical? The last time I was tested it was 24in. For me to dunk I would probably need a 29in vert?!? As of now I do squats, leg presses, lunges, leg extensions for quads. And deadlifts, and legs curls for hammys.
    I guess what Im asking is that if there are personal training for athletes like track, or basketball, maybe they could help me with my Q?
    Thanks in advance!

Jens

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

weightlifting does not have much to do w/it

bro,i was a 7' highjumper in college and i'm a former coach. plyometric drill are the key.you see, great jumper have great REACTION TIME not huge quads and hams.weightraining will also help, but i would make a concerted effort to do plyometrics drills post workout so as not to inhbit reaction time. as basic book to look into is Jumping Into Plyometrics.you can get it at barnes and noble or amazon.most everywhere

hopethis sheds somelight

let me ask you a question?

are you a power jumper or do you roll off your heel when you jump.think about it next time you try.the answermay give you an inch or two, how do you lead the jump?w/ your chest? is your "off leg" or lead directed properly?see, these are things guys don'tthink about.they just say, "yeah do alot calves and hams". you jumping muscles are in your ass.weightraining is obviously not frownedupon ,but simple "tweaks" in HOW you jump may give you a few inches

bump....any programs or excersises that I should be doing to help?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Like partboy said, plyometrics will help greatly also try doing power cleans, and the clean and jerk is another explosive lift. But yeah, try the plyometrics first.

bro i just asked you like 5 questions and no response

if your mechanics sucks all the exercises will be performed improperly and you'll be training incorrectly.my vertical increased every year for 8 srt8 years!!know why?!not the exercises, the knowledge of proper mechanics!!!bro i had legs like a fucking bird when i was jumping 7', but i matered the mechanics.i didn't find some amazing exercises alone that made this white boy sky like a motherfucker

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    try doing some plyo work in between your working sets of weights .....

such as in between sets of squats, do some box jumps or squat jumps (concentrating on jumping off the balls of your feet)

Yung Wun is offline Member

mike35 is offline New Member

Try Oly Lifts

Power Snatch, Oly squats, and Power clean. Olympic lifters have some of the highest verts in the world. I'm 5'11 and can dunk, I know one Oly lifter who is 5'8 and can dunk, drug free,

Just to clarify what is an oly squat? Oly probably stands for oylmpic but is that any different from just a regular squat? Thanks

Oly Squat

Just to differentiate it from a power lifting squat. Oly squat, high bar placement, feet shoulder width, toes pointed out slightly. Down under control, deep, ass to ankles, then explode up.

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    ass to ankles on a squat isn't very smart

Care to give a physiological reason why a deep squat isn't smart? Thousdands of Olympic lifters would strongly disagree with you. I was a powerlifter before I converted and my knees and hips have never felt better, you would be amazed just how rare serious injuries occur in the sport. Before you add your 2 cents, watch some videos of the World's Masters. You will see plenty Old timers...some over 90 might I add, still cleaning and snatching with grace and flexibility. Get a copy of the Encyclopedia of Weightlifting, with the video. Watch Botev squat 320 kilo's at the end of his workout. Please don't through around old myths that have been debunked years ago.

Thread Information