solidj55 is offline Member

Who here hikes, bikes, or does some sort of outdoor rec?

I am thinking of taking up hiking or biking, I am leaning toward hiking because of money lol, I am a cheap bastard. If I hike I will only have to buy a pack, some water bottles, some first aid gear, and shoes/boots. Just wondering if anyone else does this??? I think it would be a lot of fun and give me a good healthy hobby to complement my weightlifting. Hell I need to burn some extra calories and I hate indoor cardio.

superman1975 is offline New Member
    bro mountain smith makes a phat fanny back--go to the REI website and look it up-it will hold 2 bottles and your first aid gear and food---the key to shoes is your socks, buy the best socks out there usually thorlos and always wear a wicking pair under your heavy pair

Thanks dude, I take it your a hiker?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i used to hike a whole helluva lot. all over the mountains....its really tranquill. hiking for me was very relaxing, id reccomend it. but dont count it as cardio

Why not count it as cardio? I mean if I get a HR monitor and stay in the Zone???

cdog is offline Associate Member
    I surf, rock climb ,golf ,basketball ,and fish .

T dawg is offline New Member
    hiking is great, i live in the rockies and get out at least 5 times per summer for a long hike, but @ the same time it's time consuming. if your looking for cardio a bike is much better. You can use it if you need to hit up the store, go to a buddies house, get to work, etc etc. anything outdoors is wayyy better than indoor cardio.

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    I am originally from Western Montana, I have hiked all through out the Northern Rockies even in to parts of Southern Alberta, I have hiked parts of the Cascades in Oregon and parts of the Pacific Costal range, I have seen some of the most beutifull country I have ever laid eyes on, hiking is definently a great exercise. I think there is no better therapy for me than hiking, getting away from all of the city bullshit, being politically correct, the traffic, all of the city laws and ordinances. It helps me clear my mind, I feel free and relaxed. I also do some mountain biking, I dont like to ride in the city though, I have to have some excitement, I like to ride trails, it is a lot more fun for me than street riding. I do reccomend that you read a book on backcountry survival and backcountry navigation, you need to know a few important things before you trek in the backcountry. I dont know where you live, but I would definently reccomed hiking the Northern Rockies from mid June to early September, they are beutifull. As far as money goes look for sales at sporting goods stores, I would reccomend checking out an army surpluss store, you can usually find great deals, make sure and get a light camping stove, and make sure when you go on steep hikes go as light as possible, otherwise the hike will turn into a grueling marathon, I would also get a book on a list of hikes in your area's, look for Falcon Publishing books, they will give you a list of hikes in your area. And as far as cardio, it is probably the best cardio you can do, I usually get very lean in the summertime from doing hikes, take a 3 day backpacking trip somewhere remote and rugged, it will change you for life, have fun.

chinups Guest
    I hump in public. Does this count?

superman1975 is offline New Member
    Originally posted by chinups
    I hump in public. Does this count?

SURE!!!!! humping counts as cardio--LOL!

Thread Information