David B. is offline Member

Ouch! My Aching Tendons!

Lately, I've been experiencing tendon pain when I do skull-crushers. For the first set, the tendons that go from my triceps to my elbows feel like they're being stabbed with knives. The second set is a lot better, and by the third set, I'm pretty much pain free.

I've tried warming up with a set or two of lighter weight skull-crushers, but the pain is still there even when I drop to trivial weights.

I do not experience this pain with any other triceps exercise.

Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to give up skull-crushers, they're my favorite triceps mass builder.

--dnb

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    ya i love skull crushers too bro. Although ive never experienced tendon pain from doing them i have from doing other exercises. I found that if i stretch it really good before i workout, then after my warmupset i stretch some more (but not too much) it has helped me. I dont know if it will help you but i figured id tell you just in case.

good luck to ya and heres a nice bump for you

peace

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Warm up a little more and try taking some Glucosamine Sulfate. One of the few OTC supps that I really like and can tell it works.. Plus it is cheap as shit.

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    Warm up a little more and try taking some Glucosamine Sulfate. One of the few OTC supps that I really like and can tell it works.. Plus it is cheap as shit.

I already do take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

--dnb

Originally posted by symatech
    ya i love skull crushers too bro. Although ive never experienced tendon pain from doing them i have from doing other exercises. I found that if i stretch it really good before i workout, then after my warmupset i stretch some more (but not too much) it has helped me. I dont know if it will help you but i figured id tell you just in case.

Stretching has never been one of my strong suits. What would be a good stretch to prepare for skull-crushers?

Warm-ups really don't seem to help this pain. For example, I'm presently doing skull-crushers with 120 lbs in the 8-rep range, using the narrow grip on an EZ curl bar. If I drop down to 70 lbs., the pain is exactly the same. I figger if it's gonna hurt the same either way, I might as well be doing work sets, 'cause the pain will be gone by the third set either way. I'm open to opposing viewpoints though.

--dnb

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I dont know the technical name but if you point your elbow straight up, while pointing your hand/fist down your back, then with the opposite arm pull the elbow behind you. basically it stretches your triceps really well and its one of my favorite for loosening up.

sorry for the poor explanation, if I can find some pics of it Ill be sure to post for you!

peace

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    David B.

Try using some sort of liniment and an elbow support sleeve. That should help out a whole lot.
    Check out http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/frames.asp click on accessories and you can find both.

xxxl83
    Last edited by xxxl83; 03-28-2003 at 09:36 PM.

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    The first thing you need to do is warm up, run or stationary bike for 5 min, put some icy hot on your tendons, do some push ups, rep out a set of 20 reps on skull crushers, then rep a set of 15 reps then do one working set of 12 and a working set of ten, ice your tendons on your arms after your workout and take some Advil or Aleve as an anti inflammitory. You will have to do this a few times before it gets better. You can not go heavy on sets all the time, do some higher rep work and more warm ups, your body is trying to tell you something, you cannot stress your joints, tendons, and ligaments all the time at maximum poundages, try this out hope it works for you.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Brian1200
    The first thing you need to do is warm up, run or stationary bike for 5 min, put some icy hot on your tendons, do some push ups, rep out a set of 20 reps on skull crushers, then rep a set of 15 reps then do one working set of 12 and a working set of ten, ice your tendons on your arms after your workout and take some Advil or Aleve as an anti inflammitory. You will have to do this a few times before it gets better. You can not go heavy on sets all the time, do some higher rep work and more warm ups, your body is trying to tell you something, you cannot stress your joints, tendons, and ligaments all the time at maximum poundages, try this out hope it works for you.
    Right on. Preventing shoulder and elbow pain is something you have to do - don't let it get worst. If you do, it will be much harder to get better.

Have you tried wave loading your Tricep Extensions (Skull Crushers)? Here is an example of wave laoding Tricep Extensions WITH warm up sets (in lbs):

Set 1: 30
    Set 2: 60
    Set 3: 80
    Set 4: 115
    Set 5: 60
    Set 6: 80
    Set 7: 115
    Set 8: 135
    Set 9: 155

On the second wave your connective tissue will be more warmed up for the resistance, allowing more weight.

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    I forgot, stretch them like crazy, before, after, and during your workout.

Farmer is offline Member
    Along with everyone else's response, use some icy hot type of ointment. I've had the same problem in the past and along with rest and giving it time to heal I would use the icy hot when I got back into the swing of things. It helped alot and (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem with my elbows since.

Peace

Some great suggestions here, thanks guys!

--dnb

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    Try going wide grip on the ez-bar. I saw someone in my gym using the wide grip so I'd tried it. I used the same weight but the elbow pain was nearly non-existent.

Originally posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    Try going wide grip on the ez-bar. I saw someone in my gym using the wide grip so I'd tried it. I used the same weight but the elbow pain was nearly non-existent.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Next arm day isn't 'til next Friday.

--dnb

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Another trick is right before you go to the gym, take a wet towel and heat it in the microwave for a minute or two. Then wrap your elbows with it and let it sit for a few minutes, then whe nyou get to the gym stretch like crazy and warm-up really good.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    i can only do these with db's...anything else, i might as well cut my arms off above the elbows for a week

I know this is going to sound really really weird, but I notice that if I tan before I workout I feel much more loose. I am pretty sure it is because of the heat and increased blood flow. This might help if you are desperate. BTW, I now always get a tan in before my tri workouts (tri are the only body part I get sore when training, my elbows can start to hurt) O well, just thought I would put that out there.

Pain

Yeah.....you are weird..... Sorry, just had to be the first! Just playing bro.

Originally posted by painintheazz
    I know this is going to sound really really weird, but I notice that if I tan before I workout I feel much more loose. I am pretty sure it is because of the heat and increased blood flow. This might help if you are desperate. BTW, I now always get a tan in before my tri workouts (tri are the only body part I get sore when training, my elbows can start to hurt) O well, just thought I would put that out there.

Thanks, but after I had my first basal cell carcinoma taken off my left hand, I gave up on ever having a tan. I am doomed to be a paleface.

--dnb

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Yeah.....you are weird..... Sorry, just had to be the first! Just playing bro.
    Lucky I like you.....

Pain

Originally posted by David B.

Thanks, but after I had my first basal cell carcinoma taken off my left hand, I gave up on ever having a tan. I am doomed to be a paleface.

--dnb
    Well just thought I would throw it out there, it is sort of out there.

Pain

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    awww isn't that sweet

It's my new found goal and mission in life to give Pain total hell! Well maybe just a new hobby.

Thread Information