AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member

Talking Wow Cardio Actually Works! One question though...

I started doing spinning like 2 months ago three times a week for 45 minutes(about 30-40 in Target heart zone). At first I would fly out of my heart zone into anaerobic training(like 85% of MHR often). No I'm able to keep it to like between 70-80%(140-160 for me) the whole training period.

The results I have seen are my squat went from like 295 X 3 fresh, to doing 315 X 5 for my last set on a heavy day for squats...

The same day as the 315 squat, my legs were ACHING before , I was bored and I ran down to the end of my street which turned out to be like a 1/2 mile. I thought that was pretty good for me as before I couldnt run more then a quarter mile. So then the other day I went to the track and my gym and ran the whole time for a mile!!! Never before could i do that.

Heres my question, yesterday I went running again. I guess Im a slow runner because it took me 10 mins to do a mile. I wore my heart rate monitor and my heartrate was in the high 180's(MHR is 201 as im 19) the whole time. I wanna burn fat but increasing endurance is cool too. I know the Trainining zone is where the most calories are burnt. So what do I do? Should i just go on a treadmill and go at a slower pace(4.0-5.0?) and hope for a lower HR? Will I eventually gain endurance if I dont train in the anaerobic zone but stay in the 70-85%(140-170) training zone?

Any feedback is good....

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Eventually your conditioning will go up and your heart rate will slow during your 10min mile. It all has to do with conditioning. I would stick with it for a while and see if your average heart rate keeps coming down.

Pain

orto is offline Junior Member
    High HR could indicate overtraining. Try to run slower and if your HR won't drop think about taking some days off.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Re: Wow Cardio Actually Works! One question though...

Originally posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    I guess Im a slow runner because it took me 10 mins to do a mile.
    If you are running only one mile and it takes 10 minutes, my concern is your running form. Make sure you run with a stride to save those knees. The best way to learn your stride is Sprints or Pickups.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by orto
    High HR could indicate overtraining. Try to run slower and if your HR won't drop think about taking some days off.
    BINGO If you heart rate is elevating while doing the same intensity - you need to take an extra day of rest and eating to recover. Test your heart rate on something you did before and see if you are now performing the same work with a higher heart rate. If it is over 10-15 bpm more... take a day or two off from all exercise to let your body recover, build and adapt. Take the opportunity to get plenty of sleep and good nutrition. Also look over your current diet and supplements to be sure you are maximizing recovery.

Today I ran on my treadmill at home. I didnt wear my HR monitor but my perceived exertion(1-10 scale) felt lighter and I was able to go for longer.
    I did:
    • 4 min warm up walk
    • Ran at 4.8 for 10 min
    • Ran at 4.5 for 10 min
    • 1 min walk at 4.0
    • Ran at 4.5 for another 5 min
    • Then i did some "sprint" work of 30 secs at 6.0, then 30 at 7.5, 30 at 8.0, and then 30 at 8.5.
    • I cooled down for 2 mins

Weird thing is the last 5 mins at 4.5 i was starting to feel tired muscle wise but I felt great during the 2 mins of "sprint."

Well I know my cardio endurance is better because as I said when I first started spinning my HR would sky rocket up. What I did was just stop doing what the class was doing to let it drop. After 2-3 weeks, my heart rate steadily fell to where I'm always in my training zone in class and I can do more resistance on the bike compared to before. Like I said it increased my leg power and my squats have benefitted.

Originally posted by Warrior

BINGO If you heart rate is elevating while doing the same intensity - you need to take an extra day of rest and eating to recover. Test your heart rate on something you did before and see if you are now performing the same work with a higher heart rate. If it is over 10-15 bpm more... take a day or two off from all exercise to let your body recover, build and adapt. Take the opportunity to get plenty of sleep and good nutrition. Also look over your current diet and supplements to be sure you are maximizing recovery.
    Im sure my form is wrong as Ive NEVER ran in my life. I never had a reason as my endurance only allowed me to go a quarter mile. I think I run with strides. I'll have my friend who runs a lot look my form over....

Originally posted by Warrior

If you are running only one mile and it takes 10 minutes, my concern is your running form. Make sure you run with a stride to save those knees. The best way to learn your stride is Sprints or Pickups.
    Last edited by AbsolutelyLethal; 03-29-2003 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information