havoc is offline Junior Member

chest injury, barbell fell on chest

hey guys, has anyone ever had the barbell fall on your chest while doing flat bench. monday i was doing flat bench i went from 225 to 315 to 405 and then back to 365. i was all pumped up for this work out and my spotter says when i was on the 3rd rep and i reached the top i opened my hands and the bar went right out of my hands and came crashing down on my chest just below my nipples. my stopper says he tried to slow it down but with 365 it was impossible. he got it off me quick and i rolled off the bench onto the floor. i couldn'r breath, it was fucking horrible man. i have been lifting for 24 years and this has never happened. i was rushed to the hospital by ambulance and they checked my liver, spleen, heart and lungs. i fractured 2 ribs but, everything else seems to be ok. that was the most scariest shit i every had. i'm in bed and taken pain meds. the doctor says i was very lucky. has anyone else have this happen to them? i know this has happened to power lifters, but i'm not a power lifter. the doctor says it was the combination of my spotter and me being 250 lbs saved my life. thank god for the juice man. if anybody has had this happen, how long will it take to heal. i'm a 1/4 the way into my cycle and this fucks it up. what a wast of juice man.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Ouch bro! I think your very lucky you didnt hurt yourself more then you did! I know a bro that dropped 355 on his chest, it took him 6-8 weeks to get back.
    How could you open your hands? Didnt you lock your hand with your thumb?

clubbinkid is offline Associate Member
    havoc i couldnt even tell u how much that sux i feel bad how do u feel can u walk my ad vice to u is just relax take those pain meds and let time take its course dont rush ur self back to the gym wich most people would want to do because this will lead to worse injuries feel betta

i guess when i got to the top my hands opened up and the bar came right out. i wrap my fingers around the bar, it's just sometimes when i'm at the top i open them. palme, hows your bro doing man. what was his injuries. that was the worst shit that has ever happen to me. thanks clubbinkid, i can bearly move, so that's all i can do is rest.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    His ok now. Took about 8 weeks for him to recover, his rib cage got a bump in it.
    Get better bro!

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    I so feel your pain ....... the first time I tried 350 (at a weight of 165) I was all pumped, hyped etc just like you were .... I got it down nice and easy, and it just rose to the top except for that ever bastardly lockout .... well, I rolled my shoulders and gave an extra push with my lats to try and force the lockout, and when I did my right wrist rolled and BHAM ...... 350 right on top of my nips ........

I just got lucky ..... scared the shit outta me, but nothing happened other than a nice thick red line that lasted for about two weeks .....

I so know what you're feeling .... even when you think you're ready to get back into it, do some bench on a smith machine, or do DB bench so you can feel yourself in that motion again ... that will really tell you if you're ready

wow man, realmenbench, did you get any permenant damage? mine hit just below my nipples. my doctor said if it hit on my nipples then i would have gone into cardiac arrest or colapsed my lungs. i don't even like flat barbell bench, i love dumbbells.

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to hear about your injury havoc. Hope you have a speedy recovery man.

RealMenBench is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by havoc
    wow man, realmenbench, did you get any permenant damage? mine hit just below my nipples. my doctor said if it hit on my nipples then i would have gone into cardiac arrest or colapsed my lungs. i don't even like flat barbell bench, i love dumbbells.
    nope, no permanent damage .... I was lucky as hell, my pecs have all the meat towards the bottom, so basically it fell on the "perfect" spot as not to seriously screw me up .... like i said, all I had was a thick red line for about two weeks, and it was three weeks before there was no pain when doing bench again .....

Thread Information