Big_Dan is offline Associate Member

Less sets or more sets

I read in Lee Priests ultimate arms in Flex that one shouldnt buy into the copout of less sets. For biceps he says, 6 sets is bullshit and you should do around 12 minimum. Mine dont get sore unless I do that and change the exercises EVERY week.
    It seems to be working for me.
    But does this imply one should do 30 sets for chest and other big bodyparts? What do you guys think
    Dan

yellows2k is offline Member
    He is on massive amounts of gear, PLUS he probably eats like 7k calories a day. So he gets faster recovery due to gear and his muscles are properly nourished to recover. You, as I remember are not on gear and are cutting....so that's my advice, take it or leave it.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    I agree with yellow. Priest is on probably on gear year round, for comps and appearances, so he can't look small.....EVER! Because of this, He can pretty much do whatever he wants as far as sets, reps, etc, and still get huge. But for those of us who don't juice year round, or don't juice at all, I think its all about rest and nutrition. Three sets of each, for each body part, using heavy weights has worked for me. While you may be gaining using his programs now. Your body will eventually say "Shit man...slow down!". Priest also LIVES in the gym and probably lifts for hours a day. I don't about you, but I don't have the time, energy, and I don't get paid to do 4000 sets a day. I gotta make a livin...know what I Mean!! Just My opinion BRO! Good luck!

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    Thats what he said himself in the mag. He says "of course I dont recommend this unless youre at my level" ANd instead, he instructed to do around 12 sets for biceps. DOes this imply its alright for 25 sets for chest? (I had heard of 12 sets per large bodypart)
    What do you think?

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    Its up to you bro. I think that 25 sets is still to much for most people, but It may work for you for a while. I think after a while of doing it, you'll become exhausted. I know I couldn't hang for that many sets. I just stick to three or Four sets, and since Im not a pro bodybuilder, I get good, steady gains. If I did that many sets, I would dread going to the gym. When I got to set 10 I'd be like "Damn, still 15 sets to go" I'd be less focused and in turn less intense. When I do 3 or 4 , I can keep focused and intense while knowing that it will all be over soon. Anyways, whatever you choose, will be a learning experience. The art of weightlifting is impossible to perfect. Let me know how you come along.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    i would recomend reading flex magazine less, that's for sure.

built4life is offline Junior Member
    diffrent people respond differently to diferent meathods of training. i dont know how many famous bodybuildrs got their freaky arms by doing alot of sets.what works for one person may not for another. lets look at it this way. your body has to adapt to what your putting it through. lifting weights on an average basis is going to build your muscle to adapt to strain. if you are doing that many set for such a small body part, which to me makes no difference whether it is small or large. it going to adapt to that. sergio olivia did the same thing and his arms were freaky. my advise is to go ahead and try it out for arms and see what happens. i am a advocate of overtraining and if you are doing that many sets make sure that you getting more than enough protein,cars and multivitamins...glutamine also... watchout on doing too much for the arms though or you might risk a tear.
    for the pecs on the other hand unless you are wanting bulging pecs or flat ones thats were rep amounts come in.to hit the deep muscle fibers hard in the belly you need to use alot of weight for growth. if you use alot of weight then your definitly not going to do alot of reps. keep the rep range from 8-12 in my opinion. do maybe a 2 rep max just to shock your muscle once a month. no more. lower reps with really high wieght can cause some damage. look at dorian yates. if you want to try the same with chest do more sets of 8-12 but not high rep. with arms try some sets with 15-25 reps and see how that works/ lee says he goes in and does what he feels like he can do whether its low or high reps. he trains on instinct......alot has to do with genetics and what your body will allow.
    Last edited by built4life; 04-06-2003 at 09:33 PM.

Thread Information