Bobbo is offline Junior Member

More of a Workout, Take in More Protein???

Hey there,

I gotta ask this. For the first 6 months of training I was working my upper body but not much lower. In the past couple months I started working my lower allot more and I'm seeing great gains. I always have protein after my workout.

My question is; Now that I'm working out harder, by adding more to lower and still working upper the same, should I take in more protein following my workout since I'm working more muscles?

Thanx for the help.

Bobbo

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    How much proein are you taking in...just keep it between 35-50 grams post workout.

Innervision is offline Associate Member
    And throw in some simple carbs if you're not already.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Dont take to much protein, it will be just wasted, make sure like BigT said to take 30-40 post workout.

dangit is offline Member
    Your body can't really aborb any more than 30-40 grams of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> in a sitting anyway. I'd just throw in some simple carbs with the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> after your workout. This is the only time it's okay to take in simple carbs and it won't mess with your body fat.

I always put in between 60 and 90 grams of simple carbs (powerade, gatorade or dextrose) to my 40 grams of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> powder within 15 mins of my workouts. I've noticed a big difference in energy when doing a heavy leg workout when doing this.
    Last edited by dangit; 04-14-2003 at 03:08 AM.

He there,

Thanx for your replies. I have one other question. Why would you take simple carbs at all? Do you mean Suger such as a tastykake or fruit, or junk food, candy? I've never looked into simple carbs but I think it's anything with high suger count?

Thanx,

Bobbo

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Better to get a dextrose. Quickest to convert to glucose. You don't want a fruit because fructose is slow to convert and has a slower GI and insulin value. You also don't want "candy/snack" food because that sugar is mainly made with high fructose corn syrup. This product will be the death of the american population IMO. It sucks and you don't want it. Stick to getting it from raw sugar sources. Also the reason you want simple carbs after a workout is because it cause a rapid release of insulin which helps cram protein and glycogen into your muscles after a workout when they need it most. It also puts a stop to cortisol and other catabolic processes that are happening in your muscles after a workout.

Pain

OK,

Stupid question. Can you give me some examples of simple carbs that are good for you?

I have not been eating any carbs post-wrokour, just protein. Will these simple carbs make me gain in the waist?

Thanx,

Bobbo

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Pain already said it. Dextrose is the best simple carb to have post workout. Other than that you can use (but is not as affective as dextrose) honey, gatorade. No simple carbs post workout won't give you a gut.

BIG TEXAN/Pain,

Sorry bout that. I never heard of Dextrose.

Thanx,

Bobbo

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    No problem.

Pain

Thread Information