Short_Guy is offline Junior Member

Question Cardio While Bulking?

I'm half way through a 12 week cutting diet and I'm now thinking about the bulking phase I'm going to start in 6 weeks (neve too early, I always say...). WIth that in mind, what is everyone's take on cardio while trying to bulk up (I'm going to attempt a "clean" bulk for the first time in my life, btw)?

Should I:

a. Keep running like I am now (30 min/day @ 6 mph/hills program)
    b. Cut that down to something less-intensive
    c. No cardio

Any and all experience, etc., is welcome.

Note: For reference, I've NEVER done cardio while bulking but now I'm kinda hooked on it so any input would be great!

yellows2k is offline Member
    If you play basketball or do aerobics or something, thats all the cardio you will need. Otherwise, a one mile run 2 times a week should be plenty of cardio....

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I like doing cardio when bulking. Unless you are an very very hard gainer it is fine, just remember to up your calories a little bit more on the days you do your cardio. I wouldn't do anything to intense when bulking as you will be using valuable energy that should be saved for intense lifting.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by painintheazz
    I like doing cardio when bulking. Unless you are an very very hard gainer it is fine, just remember to up your calories a little bit more on the days you do your cardio. I wouldn't do anything to intense when bulking as you will be using valuable energy that should be saved for intense lifting.

Pain
    Like usual.....I have to agree with Pain on this.

buffmike is offline Junior Member
    Another thing is try to varietize your cardio. Incorporate some stairmaster and bike into your routine. Performing interval training is a great way to burn some cals but preserve alot of lean muscle tissue. Try to incorporate that into your workout. I wouldnt do anymore than cardio 3* a week and no more than 25 minutes.
    Good luck

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i always do cardio twice a week just to keep a healthy heart. its important to be in shape, but dont overdo it. and like pain said, up your calories. last thing you want is to start burning muscle.
    Last edited by symatech; 04-15-2003 at 10:32 PM.

dangit is offline Member
    I try to only do light cardio. I used to run 3-4 times a week for 20mins all out and get a wicked sweat and also do alot of mountain biking. This kept me real lean, but never let me put on any size.

The last bulking cycle I didn't do any cardio and put on some extra fat and found that I was starting to run out of breath for everything.

This time I'm just going to do 3-4 times a week light treadmill cardio on an incline.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    A couple of times a week is necesary. You need to have good condition to perform intense workouts.

Thread Information