Southern Cross is offline Associate Member

Marathon and Gear

Has anyone here ever train for a marathon while on gear?

I have my gear, I'm just afraid that if I am running as much as I have to I will not gain any muscle.

Now I lift 5 days a week

Chest and Tris on Tue & Fri
    Back and Bicepts on Wed & Sun
    Legs on Mon

Run for 30 min on Tue
    Run for 40 min on Wed
    Rund for 30 min on Thur
    Run for 60 min on Sat

Any advice is apprecitated!
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 04-18-2003 at 09:07 PM.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Just a thought - the heart is a muscle. Now I doubt with the running you're doing that you'll enlarge your heart by taking gear and running a lot. But you never know - it could happen.

Most people do the cardio to keep off the water bloat.

joeyc is offline New Member
    I don't think the two will mix well.
    Alot of people have trouble just using their treadmills due to their calves tightening up. I have also read about aas reducing red blood cell count.

Joeyc

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Not to mention, I would think that most marathoners would want to stay as light as possible... wouldn't all that muscle be a hindrance?

T dawg is offline New Member
    i did a lot of running while on a light cycle, also lifting 4 days a week. although i was doing lots of speed training, not marathon training, though i was still driping sweat buckets. i found that my legs muscles became noticeably more defined, which was a major plus. as for mass gains i you will look more cut but i wouldn't imagine that you will be bulking to much, mainly maintenance.....just going by what my body did.

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    when you are training for a marathon you need to be running for longier than 30 min at a time. When my buddies dad runs them he runs for 3 hour sessions. So i would not suggest gear while training for a marathon. Go for endurance more than strength. Good luck.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    dude first of you have to hit a tempo run, medium easy cardio runs, and long run 15+ miles if you even considering doing a marathon, that should be over 50 miles a week, i ran 45-40 a week one summer and gained 5 quality pounds of muscle w/o gear so it is possible but long distance running and bulking don't mix the extra wieght screws up your cadence and form but thats a different topic there
    peace dude

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    Rhino........ BS dude 3 hr session, ok most marathoners don't wanta pass the magical 20th mile they save the last couple miles for the race it is a mental edge thing and yeah all his workouts aren't 3 hrs

SilverSiR is offline Junior Member
    Im sure gear is used in by some. Remember when the Italian tour du france team was caught with gear. Those guys are as lean as marathon runners but still use juice.

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    Well there is one good point to the gear, if you are taking a testosterone esther, this will up your red blood cell count and your blood volume, your endurance and recovery time will skyrocket on dosages over 400 mg. When I took 400 mg of Test Cyp, I ran 3 miles at about 3/4 of a sprinting pace and I felt like I could run for another ten miles at that pace, I ran hard and I did not get that fatigued. The flip side is the amount of weight gain that goes along with the gear intake, have you ever seen a marathon runner, they sure as hell don't look like a powerlifter, they look like they came out a post WW2 death camp, this has to tell you something. I would say that if you are running less than 5 miles in a session, it may be productive, but any more miles than that in a session and the gear would probably be counterproductive.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Skiboy has the right idea of how to train for a marathon. Do you have experience in one?

Work on a 3:1 loading/unloading ratio. All runs should be at under race pace. Train up to the 20th mile. The week before the race should be light, with extra rest days.

There isn't really any benefit of running for 3 hours.... runners would do that maybe once a month just to get the feel of it but there's really no point.

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    Hey guys, as always I appreciate you comments. I am still early in my marathon prep. My longest run thus far has been 7 miles. Each mont it gets a little longer. I run four days a week and lift legs 1 time per week. I do chest/tri, back/bi two times per week. I think in my training will take me right to 20 miles, so good call brad fuel. I'll save the last 6.2 miles for the adeniline at the end of the race. It isn't until October!

Thread Information