Thread: Deadlifts

brobraham lincoln is offline New Member

Deadlifts

Deadlifts are currently not part of my training regiment, I hear a ton about how essential they are. Are they really that important? If so when should I blend them into my training schedule?

Currently my main goal is mass building. My training spread is as follows:
    Monday: quads, hams, calves.
    Tuesday: bis, tris, forearms.
    Wednesday: low intensity cardio (walking)
    Thursday: abs, run.
    Friday:chest, back.
    Saturday:run
    Sunday:delts, traps.

dep30 is offline Associate Member
    From everything I have read and gotten results from deadlifts and other compound exercises along with proper diet will benefit mass building more than isolation exercises... google best exercises for building mass and you should get some good ideas.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    how abouut some emperical evidence?

of those that are in the upper echelons of their development, how many do you think do NOT squat or deadlift?

dooie is offline Senior Member
    You could do them on leg or back day bro! I personally prefer back day, since I have incorporated DL into my routine, pretty much all my lifts went up! And also it feels amazing when u keep getting stronger every week with a new exercise,

It feels good, when u leave the gym and know you just broke a PB, deads are a perfect exercise for this, perfect motivation!

brobraham lincoln is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    how abouut some emperical evidence?

of those that are in the upper echelons of their development, how many do you think do NOT squat or deadlift?
    This is a very good point. Have not seen many well developed bodybuilders not incorporate these movements. Hoping to squeeze them into either leg or back day.

Torrent_K is offline New Member
    When I first did deadlifts I got a wonderful soreness in my lower back that I never got from hyperextensions or any other back exercise. since then I incorporate them into every back routine. of course everyone is different, but I definitely recommend it. Its great for lower back, but I dont feel much in the legs, so I would incorporate them into your back day.

JohnRock is offline New Member
    I go back and forth with deadlifts. I'll do them for a few months, then get burnt out and back off. I guess I went too long this time, because my last 1RM was 485 and now 405 feels really heavy. I've been thinking a lot about only doing them in 3-5+ rep ranges. I like having them around and I think they're great for adapting to handling larger loads, but going for heavy singles puts me out of commission for too long. I feel like I can't even squat heavy for almost a week after hitting heavy deads.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrent_K View Post
    When I first did deadlifts I got a wonderful soreness in my lower back that I never got from hyperextensions or any other back exercise. since then I incorporate them into every back routine. of course everyone is different, but I definitely recommend it. Its great for lower back, but I dont feel much in the legs, so I would incorporate them into your back day.
    Sorry Torrent but if your form is correct in deads your legs are doing the work not your back
    Last edited by scorpion62; 06-22-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brobraham lincoln View Post
    Deadlifts are currently not part of my training regiment, I hear a ton about how essential they are. Are they really that important? If so when should I blend them into my training schedule?

Currently my main goal is mass building. My training spread is as follows:
    Monday: quads, hams, calves.
    Tuesday: bis, tris, forearms.
    Wednesday: low intensity cardio (walking)
    Thursday: abs, run.
    Friday:chest, back.
    Saturday:run
    Sunday:delts, traps.
    If your going to do deads mate do them a couple of days after your leg workout this gives your legs time to recover for your deads , You should lay your workout a bit better to, split your chest and back inclued your arms with chest and back also you need a rest day to

castiron is offline Associate Member
    YES. monday.

JAB1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion62 View Post
    Sorry Torrent but if your form is correct in deads your legs are doing the work not your back
    I guess I better check my form too cause they enialate my lower back, in what I thought was a good way.....

DanB is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrent_K View Post
    Lol I bet you round your back hence the soreness, asking for a slipped disk when you put a decent weight on the bar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1 View Post
    I guess I better check my form too cause they enialate my lower back, in what I thought was a good way.....
    When you lift the weight you must be putting your top half over the bar when this happens the back does the lift , when you deadlift your hips down ,head up , back straight

When you start the deadlift drive the heals through the floor as you pull the bar up the shins keeping a straight back, when the bar passes the knees start to drive the hips forword ,thrust the hips forward to lock them out as you stand up,after you lock out lower the bar down the thighs once you pass the knees keep the bar close to the shins and the head up and back flat , as you increase weight just watch your form as you will tend to lose it if the weight is to much for you and your upper body will fall over the bar transfering the lift to your back

Thread Information