Thread: Incline angle

dooie is offline Senior Member

Incline angle

What angle do you use for incline bench press??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Incline angle-image-3232083926.jpg  

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I currently adjust the bench at 55 degree angle for incline bench press exercise.

I have gone as high as 70 degree angle to overcome the issue my upper-pec development (low muscle insertion points in upper-pecs).

The higher you go, the more of a shoulder workout this exercise becomes; however, the benefits are also inarguable. It does fill the upper-chest. Using a lighter weight and increasing rep range gave me the benefit over risk at 70 degree angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer
    I currently adjust the bench at 55 degree angle for incline bench press exercise.

I have gone as high as 70 degree angle to overcome the issue my upper-pec development (low muscle insertion points in upper-pecs).

The higher you go, the more of a shoulder workout this exercise becomes; however, the benefits are also inarguable. It does fill the upper-chest. Using a lighter weight and increasing rep range gave me the benefit over risk at 70 degree angle.
    Wow 55 TJ! And here I am thinking 45 was pushing it! Im going to try a steeper angle!

drose979 is offline Associate Member
    Why is it my incline rm is approaching my flat rm? Flat is 2 rm at 275 and incline is 2 rm at 245. I've had major shoulder problems to the degree that I couldn't lift right arm above my head without dislocation. I've came a long way in shoulder strength but I just feel like my flat should be greater.

JAB1 is offline Member
    I have been putting bench on # 2 so maybe 30 degrees?? Not to steep but been doing dumbells and upper chest development and strength have improved quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by drose979
    Why is it my incline rm is approaching my flat rm? Flat is 2 rm at 275 and incline is 2 rm at 245. I've had major shoulder problems to the degree that I couldn't lift right arm above my head without dislocation. I've came a long way in shoulder strength but I just feel like my flat should be greater.
    For me, flat bench hurts my shoulders, if ur shoulders are week, this may explain why incline is catching up! I'm stronger on incline, only because of muscle memory though!

Ps don't worry about RMs just keeprep ranges from 8-12 and u won't hurt your shoulder

drose979 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dooie

For me, flat bench hurts my shoulders, if ur shoulders are week, this may explain why incline is catching up! I'm stronger on incline, only because of muscle memory though!

Ps don't worry about RMs just keeprep ranges from 8-12 and u won't hurt your shoulder
    So doin 6 reps isn't as good as dropping weight and doing 8? Should I start at 8 and work my way up to doing 12 at that weight before I increase weight?

Quote Originally Posted by drose979

So doin 6 reps isn't as good as dropping weight and doing 8? Should I start at 8 and work my way up to doing 12 at that weight before I increase weight?
    How old are you??
    I aim for 8-10 every set! If I can do 12+ I'll up the weight! Just watch how many sets you've done,
    Ps if I have a spotter I'll go a little heavier and get at least 5-6 by myself and get a spotter to help with the next few reps!

8-12 reps is the range for hypertrophy, I'm guessing that's what your going for??

DanB is offline Banned
    I go 30degree, mabey 45degree for flys but even then they ysyally at 30degree, I always use dumbells for incline too, cant feel shit with a barbell, and hammer incline is a fav of mine

Thread Information