WannaBeHyooge is offline New Member

Leg day - Couple questions

Hey everyone,

Couple quick stats;

6'2
    185 lbs
    Lifting 4 years
    24 years old
    No gear experience (And not on cycle now)

A little while ago I injured my back stupidly doing low bar squats and not staying tight through the entire movement (Lost some tightness in my lumbar spine in the hole and ended up rounding lower back with a heavy ass set). This didn't happen during the movement, actually bothered me on a chest day. (lolwtf?)

Anyways, up until then I NEVER had a problem with deadlifts and now a conventional deadlift really bothers my lower back even with light weights (Sub 300lbs).

SO; here is where my question arises.

Since these unfortunate times, I have been doing a sumo deadlift (No pain at all even with heavier weights) and front squats (ATG) on my leg day.

In your opinions, is this a fair replacement for back squats? I figured that I get all the hip, glute and hamstring work I need through the Sumo deadlift and my quads get obliterated with the front squats (So do my glutes actually)

OR am I missing out by not doing back squats on leg days and moving sumo deadlifts to my back days?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

F250Hoss is offline New Member
    I injured my back in a car accident 5 years ago and spun my L3-5. So i know exactly what you are going through. Continue to do sumo deads and front squats since those really hit your quads. Also to start rehabing your back do light weight high reps and stretch in between sets. And slowely work back into back squats once your back is healed. That's what I did mostly for my lower back and overall it feels pretty good.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Your plan is good.

However i would look to pre-exhaust with leg extensions and leg press before the squats just to be safe (since your poundages will go down).

And also use hyper extensions before the sumo deads again to pre-exhaust...

Dont think that this is going to hinder your gains, you may actually excel by training this way as your going to be forced to work harder during the big lifts at the end

Quote Originally Posted by F250Hoss View Post
    I injured my back in a car accident 5 years ago and spun my L3-5. So i know exactly what you are going through. Continue to do sumo deads and front squats since those really hit your quads. Also to start rehabing your back do light weight high reps and stretch in between sets. And slowely work back into back squats once your back is healed. That's what I did mostly for my lower back and overall it feels pretty good.
    That sounds awful, sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear you're recovering or recovered. I have been doing a few sets of lighter weight high reps back squats to try and get back into it so thanks very much for that, I feel pretty good about it the only thing thats holding me back is a mental block because I don't want this to happen again. Do you think this is enough work for my hamstrings? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Your plan is good.

However i would look to pre-exhaust with leg extensions and leg press before the squats just to be safe (since your poundages will go down).

And also use hyper extensions before the sumo deads again to pre-exhaust...

Dont think that this is going to hinder your gains, you may actually excel by training this way as your going to be forced to work harder during the big lifts at the end
    Thanks much for the advice, not that I don't believe what you've said will work but I was just wondering if you could explain the theory of pre-exhausting to me.

You're suggesting leg extension and leg press before front squats? And back extensions before sumo deads? Is this so that more of the load is carried among the other muscle groups in these lifts? By pre-exhausting quads it would seem that more work would be born on the glutes and by pre-exhausting lower back before sumo deadlifts it would be more bearing on.. glutes? The reason I've been doing sumo is because of the way your legs are wide and pointed outwards it takes out the movement on your SI joint and is the reason i'm able to do them pain free.

Sorry maybe that doesn't make sense but I was hoping you could clarify for me. THanks again!

Oh and same question as above, is this enough work for my hamstrings? I usually do some pump work at the end with superset leg extensions and leg curls.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Have you ever tried floor presses on chest day ? I just read up on this and was pretty interesting to try a couple times .

The guy I know with legs like Tom Platz never does squats . He does leg presses and has great success .
    I have only squatted and legs are lacking .
    Since I have been doing leg presses and I finish each set with freestanding squats til theres nothing left to give . Even putting plates under heals makes a difference .
    I will get back into squats in a month or two .
    When researching squats I learned box squats are pretty awesome . If lower back pain occurs you could raise box temporarily .

When back hurts during deads I stretch hams and do a set of ab exercises to bring things into balance . ( always doing torso twists with broomstick also )

Also make sure weight belt isn't too tight .
    I used to pull tight as possible and learned that you need room for stomach to take in air .
    When you do warm up do you use a belt ?

Hope things get work out for you .
    DWBO

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Pre-exhausting has many benefits...

The main reason im recommending it for you is to reduce your poundages in the big lifts...

Try it and you will be surprised at how little weight you will be using in your final big lifts... Anialate the muscle in a safe manor (using isolation/ safer movements) then finnish off with the more risky movements but use less weight which will decrease risk of injury and probably stimulate more growth.

Thread Information