D.L. is offline Junior Member

WTF is wrong with my head?!

I suddenly can't train at all!!
    Today I was going to do dumbbell curls and started a light warmup with the 45lbs, then suddenly my head starts to hurt like shit (and I'm not usually one to cry about pain) this felt like some really bad migrane and it was like the left side of my brain was pulsating. Actually it felt like I was going to faint and I couldn't workout at all so I had to go home...
    It was like this at my last workout also (just not as badly).
    It seems like it started after an intense legpress, where I (don't know how) did 20 reps with my usual 10 rep max...
    At first I thought well maybe I haven't warmed up enough and started the heavy sets too early, but now today with fucking 45lbs dumbbell curls WTF is this????
    Have I popped a vein in my brain or what?
    If anybody knows something about this please comment!

Luke530 is offline Junior Member
    nah... it happens to me every once in a while... don't worry, it comes and goes, there are many things that could have coused/ been causing them, like stress, weather, diet, etc...

Thumbs down

nah... it happens to me every once in a while... don't worry, it comes and goes, there are many things that could have coused/ been causing them, like stress, weather, diet, etc...
    It can't just be that... this is no "oh it's just a little headache so I can just train anyway", it's more like "I gotta stop this shit or I'm going to pass out"...

Yung Wun is offline Member
    something similar happened to a buddy of mine
    he was working out and all the sudden it would hit him
    and seem to worsen during the intense exercises
    i forget what he did to stop that from occuring again
    but i would suggest seeing a doctor if it persist

sonic is offline Female Member
    Are you on any kind of diet?

I'm going to see a doc tomorrow cus' it still hurts in my head today and whenever I start to do something that makes blood flow to the head it hurts even more... guess I've damaged a vein in my brain or something...

Are you on any kind of diet?
    I'm always eating very clean but I also make sure to get my vitamins and fatty acids etc... it could be a deficit in iron, but that wouldn't hurt like this...

Striking_Cobra is offline New Member
    let us know what he says.

I have a feeling you have hypertension. Do a search on Hypertensive Encephalopathy or go to http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic667.htm .

I have this problem you have too but have not yet seen a doc on it. I match up to almost all the symptoms that the encephalopathy gives though. Symptoms like after working out my face is flush, eyes hurt, base of skull hurts, neck hurts. It's all created by a sudden spike in the blood pressure.

I've noticed warming up on cardio and not using ECA before workouts has helped these problems.

This totally might not be your problem though so see what the doctor says.

Good luck!

I only occasionally get that myself, and not at the gym... but sitting in my chair in my office for no apparent reason. I get this searing pain from the back of my head to the bottom of my neck on one side.

Last time that happened I got my bp cuff our of my truck and wouldn't you know it, very high blood pressure.

I just took a 325mg aspirin as a blood thinner and within 20-30 it was fine... but freaks me out every time. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often. Last thing I need is a damm CVA...

Red

Well I've just been at the doc's and he couldn't find anything wrong... he checked my CNS and if there were any tensions in my head or neck, but nothing. No high blood pressure either...
    I've also got some blood tests done to check blood count, liver and if there is a deficit in iron, I get the answer to those on wednesday...
    He told me just to ease a little on the training but I'm going to workout today and see if it goes well...

Striking_Cobra: thanks for the tip... I've gotta research on that hypertension topic...

Rich8888 is offline Member
    D.L. this may sound crazy and when I first heard the suggestion I thought it was crazy as well. Acouple of years ago, Every time I woul;d begin to get a pump going...my head felt like to was going to frickin' explode. It got so bad, that I couldn't train. Someone told me it may be caused by a tooth that has decay or a filling in your tooth that has some decay and thus bacteria is getting into your system. I thought it was nuts. However, I went to the dentist. He found a bad filling and replaced it. Lo and behold...the next time I trained...the head aches were gone. Crazy as it sounds....try the dentist..bro....it worked for me!!!! Good luck.

Rich ... you know that actually makes sense. I've known people who got massive pain in the top and back of their head from wisdom teeth growing in and moving around.

Could it also be neck muscles cramping? Painfull as hell.... radiates all over the place.

Red

Yung Wun is offline Member
    D.L
    you still have your wisdom teeth in
    that could be the cause
    my friend who doesnt train just normally gets head pain
    from doing nothing, it was caused by his wisedom teeth

Actually I've had 2 wisdom teeth removed, but the last two are just on their way out now, the one on the left (also the side with pain) are just 1/4 out so maybe this is it... guess I'm going to the dentist... thanks bros, I would never have thought of that myself!

I trained today and there was only a little pain as long as I just remember to breathe deep and don't hold my breath while lifting...

Strut99GT is offline Member
    D.L. - the same thing has happened to me...one time a few months ago, I was straining really hard on a particular set, and my head just started throbbing after that set and I felt like I was going to pass out. The next time I went to work out, as soon as I started lifting, my head started hurting.

Ultimately, I had to take a week off from lifting, and that did the trick. Medically, I don't know how to explain what happened, but it seemed like I popped something or other in my brain, and it just needed time to heal. I would try taking a week off.

Strut99GT: That's exactly the same shit... but today it seems to have almost disappeared...
    I think you're right, it must have been something strained in the brain, but I'm still gonna have that wisdom teeth checked.
    Guess we just gotta watch out in the future...

Rich8888 is offline Member
    D.L. Bro it is not the wisdom teeth that I was referring to in my reply yesterday. It has to do with bacteria that gets into your system from a bad filling or decayed tooth. check it out..bro.

well I don't have any fillings in my teeth...

Well either ways a visit to the dentist is in order

(god I hate dentists!)

Red

BadHead is offline New Member
    I created a temporary account because I'm a doctor and I didn't want to be hounded ... so i won't be replying to this thread anymore.

If your not dead then its probably nothing to serious. Sounds like a vascular headache. These type of headaches are usually caused because of increased blood flow to the head, resulting in swelling of blood vesels. Check out http://www.pubmed.com and do a search with "exertional headaches" or "coital headaches". This is a site that will give you access to the abstracts of medical libraries. Usually good enought for most people.

Have you noticed this type of headache occuring during sexual activity? Thats usually another good sign.

Get alot of rest, if your not sure, I.E you feel a presence in the back of your head, then keep resting. If your going to attempt weight lifting, you might want to try taking some anti-inflamitories like ibuprofen or advil before hand. If that doesn't work out, get to a neurologist. Ask about rizatriptan if you have a heath plan, its $16 a pop otherwise.

Don't play with you head.

Good advice Doc!

Red

Thanks doc! And yes, I have felt it during sex...
    funny that my own doc didn't know anything...

4inguy is offline New Member
    i'm having the same problem right now. it only happens when i lift hard. DL just let me know what u did if you figure something out.

i'm having the same problem right now. it only happens when i lift hard. DL just let me know what u did if you figure something out.
    just try to take a few days rest... mine seems to be mostly gone now, I only feel it slightly occasionally...
    also what I found to help a bit is to breathe deep and keep breathing when lifting...

hey DL,

i'm still having the headaches. it gets trigerred when i lift heavy. however, i popped two ibuprofins and i was able to finish up my workout. i still feel a slight lightness in my head though. i'm thinking to go check a doc out.

i'm still having the headaches. it gets trigerred when i lift heavy. however, i popped two ibuprofins and i was able to finish up my workout. i still feel a slight lightness in my head though. i'm thinking to go check a doc out.
    yeah it's a good idea to check the doc... it could be your blood pressure...
    I believe that mine is what BadHead described earlier and my own doc didn't know about that... but check with him anyway

my head is getting worse everyday. i feel like i can't train. this is happening all day long. i hate it. i'm going to try to rest for the rest of the week.

let us know what the doc says...

hey guys,

OK this aint getting better. i ran some blood tests and did some basic xrays around the head. everything seems normal. i didn't do a cat scan yet, which is a much more detailed xray around the head. i'll do that next. whats interesting is that i went to the dentist and he ran some xrays and it turns out that my wisdom tooth is about to come out side ways. i think that could be the reason for the headaches. what i can't understand is that neither my jaw nor my tooth hurts at all. shouldn't the pain start around the tooth and make its way up to the head????
    i don't know all i can say is that this suck i can't lift at all. i'll probably go see a neurologist tomorrow.

BIG-G is offline Banned
    I'VE HAD THIS PROBLEM TOO! Would have to take a few advils before and during workouts until even they did do much. I found out that it was the xenadrine/hydroxycuts that i was taking before my workouts. You see all of those products raize the bodys temp, and make u a bit gittery, if not energenic. Anyway what happens is the following, u take ur pills with ur meal, later ur at the gym about to over strain the muscles in an attempt to enlarge them, ur body is up a few degrees, ur intensity hits a high note, heavy weight triggerin high blood flow, and the body reacts as it thinks its sick with a high fever, high blood pressure, and soorness (catabolic state). OF course whats next but a strain on the brain (headache/migraine), and efedra products are oxygen robbing elements so the added blood flow to the brain has less oxygen cells increasing the headache factor. IN OTHER WORDS, cut back on ur supplements, use the creatine, protein, vitamins, and maybee testosterone products to get ur energy up. HOPE THAT HELPS, BIG-G

PsychoPred is offline New Member
    PPL, I have the same shit in my head It's killing me!!! My heart aches like hell also. I think I was about to get a heartattack some days ago at the gym. My blood pressure is so high that I wanna shit my pants..
    2morrow I am gonna see a doc.

cdog is offline Associate Member
    I agree with Big G take some advil .I had this going on as well but I think it was from a muscle in my neck .I first noticed it when I was reaching failure on my first set ouch had to stop and go home .A couple of days later my neck was soar around my traps .Anyways it keeped hurting so before I would workout I just downed some advil that crap works great.Now the pain is gone hey thats sound like a commercial .Peace
    Last edited by cdog; 04-27-2003 at 05:01 PM.

Bobbo is offline Junior Member
    OOOOOOOOOh Man!!!

I'm sitting here reading this and can't believe what I'm reading. Just over 2 years ago I had brain surgery. Yes, I had seizures from 10 months old till 35 years old. At 35 I had surgery and my neurosurgeon removed scar tissue from my Left Temporal Lobe. I have NOT had a single seizure since. It's like living a different improved life. I have 50 time as much energy than pre-surgery and lost 60 pounds. I can now drive. I started lifting and gained 8 lbs of muscle. Anyway, my surgeon told me not to lift over 20 pounds post-surgery for 2 months because it applied pressure to your brain and after me just being operated on I could pop blood vessels in my brain. He specifically told me that pressure is applied mostly when doing ab exercises, which I can do today. After a few months I told him I wanted to start lifting. He told me to start with 75 pounds (pressing) and work my way up gradually as long as I feel no pressure on the brain. I worked my way up to 185 pounds pressing with no pain. I'm now doing dumbbells (65 each pressing). When I increase it the soft spot where he cut pops out so I am very careful not to strain myself by over lifting.

I have run into friends that I had not seen for years and they did not know who I was till they heard me speak and recognized my voice. My sons friend told me, just last week, I look like a muscle man. Made my day. I'm not use to getting compliments like that. I've wanted to workout all of my life but the meds I took pre-surgery just drained all the energy out of me. I'm now determined to stick with it. I've been lifting for over 18 months now and loving it. I actually have a six pack showing for the first time in my life.

Bobbo

Thread Information