MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

chest workout help

hi i am currently while cutting focusing on my upper chest coz it is not symetric with my lower chest i workout my chest every monday in what workout u advise me :
    first workout:

incline barbell press :4 sets
    incline dumbell press:3 sets
    incline flyes:4 sets
    cross over:4 sets
    pec dec:4 sets

2nd workout:
    incline dumbell press:4 sets
    vertical chest press :3 sets

3rd workout:
    incline barbell press :4 sets
    vertical chest press :3 sets

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    you're killin yourself here, that has got to be the definition of over training

man lighten that up:::

do an incline pressing movement (dumbells or barbells, you're choice) along with those incline flyes and you'll be fine

intensity is the key, (i don't know how intense you are, you very well could be very intense) but guality is A LOT better than quantity

so : lose about half of those total sets and concentrate on an incline press and incline flyes and you'll be a lot better off

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Very well put brother .If you want to add some size to your chest try this workout

db bench 2x12
    weighted dips1x8/15 must fail at 8 rest pause 7 more very slow and
    painfull.
    incline flys 1x15/30 very slow and painfull
    you totaly fail at 15 rest pause 15 more this is going to take some time
    so you only rest enough to get 2 more then 2 more ect,ect
    until you totaly fail at 30 .
    You must take every thing to total failure or dont even bother doing it .
    And you must be intense .Its so hard for guys to beleive that they can get huge doing only a few working sets and thats why alot of guys overtrain and see 0 gains .I cant tell you how many times I see guys posting their workouts with these huge sets they found in flex mag and wounder hey how come I hurt how come I dont gain why why why well its simple overtraining.Do half as much work but make it harder and you will grow .You have my word if you do the above you will make gains from week to week.If you dont you can tell every body that Im a fool .Peace.

/rest pause
    Last edited by cdog; 04-25-2003 at 06:08 PM.

strollin is offline Associate Member
    thats good advice cdog. I would do more sets but thats just me. I like to do 3 sets per excersise but the most important thing is to feel your body.You can feel when you've burned it nice and good. When going for size always use freewieghts. Db are the best for overall size. One of my favorite chest work outs is flat db press 3*10,8,6, db incline press 3*10,8,6 on a 30 degree slant not 45. and finish with db flyes 3*15,12,10. count for 3 on the way down and 3 on the way up for every movement. This burns real good for me. Don't go with the pros advice of huge sets and lots of excesizes. This works for them because the muscles are so developted they need to abusie them to make further gains. Like I said before feel your body it will tell you how it feels. And always,Always go balls to the wall on each set.

Lift on Bros!

Originally posted by cdog
    Very well put brother .If you want to add some size to your chest try this workout

db bench 2x12
    weighted dips1x8/15 must fail at 8 rest pause 7 more very slow and
    painfull.
    incline flys 1x15/30 very slow and painfull
    you totaly fail at 15 rest pause 15 more this is going to take some time
    so you only rest enough to get 2 more then 2 more ect,ect
    until you totaly fail at 30 .
    You must take every thing to total failure or dont even bother doing it .
    And you must be intense .Its so hard for guys to beleive that they can get huge doing only a few working sets and thats why alot of guys overtrain and see 0 gains .I cant tell you how many times I see guys posting their workouts with these huge sets they found in flex mag and wounder hey how come I hurt how come I dont gain why why why well its simple overtraining.Do half as much work but make it harder and you will grow .You have my word if you do the above you will make gains from week to week.If you dont you can tell every body that Im a fool .Peace.

/rest pause
    i will try it on monday but isnt 4 sets for the whole chest workout very small??i mean the chest is a big muscle and 4 sets??

If you do this workout properly you will not be able to do any more .
    Now you must also remember to warm up good so before you start on your chest get a good pump going ok .And you only need to warm up once just before you do your db bench. After that just go into each exersise. I know that you think this is not alot but I want you to post after your workout and let me know how you did .And always 2 sec up pause and the top and 2 sec down on all lifts this is just as important as taking every thing to total failure .If you go any faster you wont be working the muscle as hard as you could.Your rest time should be 3 min between sets and no more than 5 min between exercises .Also you must go as heavy as you can and keep great form .If on db bench you get off your 12 reps but on the 2nd rep you only get off 3 or so drop the weight and grab another that will let you get off your next 12reps .As far as the dips go if you can get weight on you do it add as much as you can but you still have to fail at 8 then rest pause the other 7 very slow reps.The flys are going to take some time to do from the start they need to be slow and hard fail at 15 and rest pause the rest .If you fail at 13 rest pause the rest to 30 .You must challange your self and hit total failure on every thing .I also do tris and shoulders on the same day but thats up to you if you want to do that .So do this above a let us know on monday night .Also keep track of the weight you used becouse next week you will be up in weight or by rep but you wont know unless you keep a chart.It takes me about 35-40 min just for the chest but I take my reps nice and slow working the positive,negitive,and the static hold all in the same rep .You must work these 3 if you want size .Thats why when you see guys moveing weight around fast that dont grow as fast as a guy who goes slower .When you just go up and down up and down fast your not working the static hold or the negitive what a waste of time IMHO .Yes you may have worked the positive but what about the other 2 ?.Also dont be surprised if you dont lift as much as you did last week becouse its going to be harder when you work all 3 of the positive,negitive,and static hold but harder is better than lifting more weight wrong .Good Luck and let me know peace.
    Last edited by cdog; 04-26-2003 at 09:45 AM.

Brown_Bear73 is offline New Member
    I like the db movements just because I feel a better stretch. I would stick with db incs. and then the flyes too. Also focus more on your "squeeze" and your intensity instead of additional sets.

INTENSE, INTENSE, INTENSE

If you do this workout properly you will not be able to do any more .
    Now you must also remember to warm up good so before you start on your chest get a good pump going ok .And you only need to warm up once just before you do your db bench. After that just go into each exersise. I know that you think this is not alot but I want you to post after your workout and let me know how you did .And always 2 sec up pause and the top and 2 sec down on all lifts this is just as important as taking every thing to total failure .If you go any faster you wont be working the muscle as hard as you could.Your rest time should be 3 min between sets and no more than 5 min between exercises .Also you must go as heavy as you can and keep great form .If on db bench you get off your 12 reps but on the 2nd rep you only get off 3 or so drop the weight and grab another that will let you get off your next 12reps .As far as the dips go if you can get weight on you do it add as much as you can but you still have to fail at 8 then rest pause the other 7 very slow reps.The flys are going to take some time to do from the start they need to be slow and hard fail at 15 and rest pause the rest .If you fail at 13 rest pause the rest to 30 .You must challange your self and hit total failure on every thing .I also do tris and shoulders on the same day but thats up to you if you want to do that .So do this above a let us know on monday night .Also keep track of the weight you used becouse next week you will be up in weight or by rep but you wont know unless you keep a chart.It takes me about 35-40 min just for the chest but I take my reps nice and slow working the positive,negitive,and the static hold all in the same rep .You must work these 3 if you want size .Thats why when you see guys moveing weight around fast that dont grow as fast as a guy who goes slower .When you just go up and down up and down fast your not working the static hold or the negitive what a waste of time IMHO .Yes you may have worked the positive but what about the other 2 ?.Also dont be surprised if you dont lift as much as you did last week becouse its going to be harder when you work all 3 of the positive,negitive,and static hold but harder is better than lifting more weight wrong .Good Luck and let me know peace.
    man i tryed this workout and it was realy cool i felt a good pump in my upper chest i did it like this:
    incline db 1x12 then 1x9 (coz i increased the weight i couldnt do more than 9 total failure)
    flys 1x30 i did it 15 then rest for 10 sec then another 15
    dips 1x13 i did it 8 times rest 5 secs then can did more than 5 i died to do the 5th 1
    i concluded that i have a lot of strenght but very very weak endurance
    another question do i have to do this workout once/week or twice?? i actualy workout my chest once/week

Its ok to rest longer bro it wont do you any good if you reach cardio failure first .Just rest only long enough to get all your numbers so if it takes you a little longer to rest do so but only long enough to catch your breath.Also you should have waited at least 3-5 min from set to set
    Example db press 1x12 rest 3-5min do again dbpress1x12.ect ect
    now on dips after you hit failure you should only rest just long enogh to get 2 more reps then rest only long enough for 2 more until you hit 15 .Is this how you did it ?Peace

Its ok to rest longer bro it wont do you any good if you reach cardio failure first .Just rest only long enough to get all your numbers so if it takes you a little longer to rest do so but only long enough to catch your breath.Also you should have waited at least 3-5 min from set to set
    Example db press 1x12 rest 3-5min do again dbpress1x12.ect ect
    now on dips after you hit failure you should only rest just long enogh to get 2 more reps then rest only long enough for 2 more until you hit 15 .Is this how you did it ?Peace
    well i rested only 1 min btw sets and for the dips i did 8 rest 10 sec then did 5

Ok when you did the dips for example you should of failed at 8 like you did then rest 10sec for only one or two more reps then waited another 10sec for another one or two reps .The reason you could only get off 5 more is becouse you where trying to do them stright after you failed at 8
    next time rest just long enough to get 2 and then 2 again and 2 again and then 2 again and thats it .Make sure you only rest long enough to where you are bearly geting that 2nd one off everytime .Thats rest pause.Same goes for the incline flys .Also you where only resting for 1 min in between each exercise and you should rest for at least 3min this will help you get your numbers off peace.
    Last edited by cdog; 04-28-2003 at 06:33 PM.

Thread Information