MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

flat bensh press in bodybuilding

dont u think that the flat bensh press it is not so important in bodybuilding and it is just for ego fulfilling and that bodybuilder can use db press and get better results and the incline bb press should be the primary workout for chest !!
    i actualy alternate btw db and bb for 1 week db and the other week bb

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    flat benCh press does work the chest muscle pretty good but i agree, dumbbell benCh press isolates alot better and since there is no bar, you have to use all your chest muscles to stabilize. however, barbell incline benCh press works better then dumbbell Incline benCh press and is alot safer. especially when you don't have a spotter.

do you know how hard it is to press 300lbs on dumbbells w/ no spotter? at least i don't have to worry bout not getting the bar off my chest if my arm fails. lol

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Domestic
    flat benCh press does work the chest muscle pretty good but i agree, dumbbell benCh press isolates alot better and since there is no bar, you have to use all your chest muscles to stabilize. however, barbell incline benCh press works better then dumbbell Incline benCh press and is alot safer. especially when you don't have a spotter.

I agree with Domestic on this one. Although I rotate, one week the bar and the next the db's.

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    don't care what others do, try each one and see what gives you the best contraction in your pecs

err
    err is offline New Member
    On my chest day, I usually go for BB Bench Press as my 1st station and DB Incline Bench Press as my 2nd station.

I might rotate my routine every month and do Inclince BB Bench Press 1st and Flat DB bench press 2nd.

eRr

solidj55 is offline Member
    Once I was a powerlifter that took pride in how much he benched. Then after an injury that set me way back I decided to lift for appearance rather than strength. I switched over to dumbells(Flat and Incline) for chest, shoulders, and various other movements. IMO dumbells are the superior tool in weightlifting. The only thing I use a barbell for now is shrugs, everything else is dumbells, bodyweight exercises(with weight added), or machines (chest supported t-bar row, leg press, hack squat, leg curls)

flexgolf is offline Member
    when bulking u have gotta focus on compound muscle group exercises. bb bench is a better compund muscle group exercise than dumbell press. thats why people bench more weight than they press in combined dumbell weight. u can do both if u want in ur workout, but i think barbell bench is key to building mass because it is a very good compound muscle group exercise. because u isolate ur chest more in using dumbells, it implies it shouldnt be as useful in bulking.

Originally posted by flexgolf
    when bulking u have gotta focus on compound muscle group exercises. bb bench is a better compund muscle group exercise than dumbell press. thats why people bench more weight than they press in combined dumbell weight. u can do both if u want in ur workout, but i think barbell bench is key to building mass because it is a very good compound muscle group exercise. because u isolate ur chest more in using dumbells, it implies it shouldnt be as useful in bulking.
    Where is your proof of this? Just because you get your chest worked better that doesnt change the fact it uses tris and front delts and thats its still a compound movement. Sorry but I dont agree with this.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    the bes way i think is to rotate a week of incline bb and flat db and a week of incline db and flat bb so your delts will no be fried by the flat bb

"Where is your proof of this? Just because you get your chest worked better that doesnt change the fact it uses tris and front delts and thats its still a compound movement. Sorry but I dont agree with this."

basically im going off personal experience. ive had periods where i would only bench for a long time, then id do dumbells only for a long time. and i felt that bench worked my pecs well, and also did a better job of working my front shoulders. eventually i had to go back to bb bench press from dumbells because i thought my front shoulders began to lag and bb bench quicly brought them back into form.
    i dont have any documentation to prove that bb bench is better than dumbells. its just something that i, and others close to me have had better bullking results with.

Yea but I feel that if you hit dumbell bench for instance and hit some overheads for shoulders then your shoulder problem you spoke of would be fine. Its a give and take dude, if your chest is more isolated then your shoulder will not do as much work and vise versa. Not flaming dude, just explaining my stance. either way something isnt going to hit as hard and you must compensate by using another exercise.

well overhead shoulders definitely works ur shoulders in a different aspect than barbell bench press. ive really improved on my front shoulder area lately by doin more bb press as opposed to dumbells. personally...i think i may start doin both, i really like both exercises and i get a crucial burn with each.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    It probably depends on your body type and what you respond to. I remember Joe Meeko who was Mr Universe used to only do incline BB presses and was huge. I'd say try each for a couple months and judge by your results. Basically it's a good idea to alternate and change your routine every few months. No reason you can't do both. I personally get very little from flat bench and prefer a 30 degree incline with dumbells or barbell. We all have a unique body and have strengths and weaknesses in different movements.

darklurker88 is offline Junior Member
    i love these guys, "its not useful for bulking"
    Ever bulked before? Try a combination of both, see what works for you. Period. Theres no better in bodybuilding. Its all about what works FOR YOU.
    There are some generalizations, but mostly its about you and your body, not anyone elses.

good point darklurker

Jackman is offline Banned
    Yes its all personal to what you like to do my workout partner always does bb and i like to do dumbells cause thats what seems to work for me!

Thread Information