MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

German Volume Training

Hey guys see this article about the "german volme training" it is interesting :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

MikedaMan57 is offline Junior Member
    yeah... that looks pretty cool... anyone ever do it or something similar??? ....results???

i will give it a try in the leg workout coz my legs dont get sore even if i squat with heavy weights i try it for 4 weeks and c the results i will begin from next wednsday on my leg workout and post what happens

Yung Wun is offline Member
    run a search brotha theres a good bit of stuff on here already

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If warrior doesn't respond, i would pm him, he knows quite a bit about GVT. West side barbell also incorporates GVT into their training also.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Here is the man's new Web site: http://charlespoliquin.net/articles/...-training.html

Charles Poliquin is a Canadian strength coach who has worked with olympic athletes and bodybuilders. He has spent a great deal of time translating eastern bloc training theories and bottomline, knows his shit. And his is the best explanation on how to use GVT out there.

Basically GVT's core is how it causes an immediate increase in strength. Using the right load and rest intervals it is uncanny how at the 5-7 set the load gets really heavy and then at 6-8 it gets easy again. Primiarily due to your body's sudden production of adrenelin.

If you haven't tried GVT - you should. I first tried it in High School and during my best I was gaining strength on the Bench Press at a rate of 10 pounds per week! I was using the program Poliquin wrote about - this has been in print for several years. Being able to add 10 pounds to the resistance every week is a big time plus in the right direction...

Using it in it's traditional style - I think it is important to not start with too heavy of a load your first week. If your max is 315 punds on the flat bench, you shouldn't start any heavier than 175-195 pounds for 10 sets. And keep rest intervals under 90 seconds. No ego training here...

KappaKracker69 is offline New Member
    GVT was one of the first programs that I used when i first started seriously bodybuilding after a few years of fuckin around with weights. I tried it for 6 weeks and it gave me some VERY nice gains, both muscular and strength-wise.
    Allen

Originally posted by Warrior
    Here is the man's new Web site: http://charlespoliquin.net/articles/...-training.html

Charles Poliquin is a Canadian strength coach who has worked with olympic athletes and bodybuilders. He has spent a great deal of time translating eastern bloc training theories and bottomline, knows his shit. And his is the best explanation on how to use GVT out there.

Basically GVT's core is how it causes an immediate increase in strength. Using the right load and rest intervals it is uncanny how at the 5-7 set the load gets really heavy and then at 6-8 it gets easy again. Primiarily due to your body's sudden production of adrenelin.

If you haven't tried GVT - you should. I first tried it in High School and during my best I was gaining strength on the Bench Press at a rate of 10 pounds per week! I was using the program Poliquin wrote about - this has been in print for several years. Being able to add 10 pounds to the resistance every week is a big time plus in the right direction...

Using it in it's traditional style - I think it is important to not start with too heavy of a load your first week. If your max is 315 punds on the flat bench, you shouldn't start any heavier than 175-195 pounds for 10 sets. And keep rest intervals under 90 seconds. No ego training here...
    yea great info but can replace some workout listed in the site like instead of doing lateral raises for shoulders i will do dumbell press?? i will stick with the days rest time tempo but i want to use different workouts can i or should i stick with the same workouts listed in teh site??

I don't really see a problem with it. Coach Poliquin probably advocates the lateral raise for a few reasons... like it isolates the deltoids more while still being a free weight movement and anything you work in your verticle plane can strain your rotator cuffs.

After doing heavy dips - especially GVT 10X10 supersets, your triceps will be prefatigued so that when you move to a shouder excersise that uses a lot of secondary involvement, like military dumbell presses, your delts will be forced to take more of the load (which can be a good thing). Being a smaller muscle group - you would invevitably not be able to use as heavy a load as you may think. The fact that your arms will be pretty well exhausted after the 10X10 for arms - you may be best off just using the laterals for a more isolated movement.

But play with the theory - but I would suggest doing what he describes first - then tweaking it a bit... get familiar with it then shake it up.

yea man that what i though about dips are very intense i cant imagine doing a milatary press after dips

solidj55 is offline Member
    Hey warrior, I would like to try this but I have a couple questions for you. Number one, should i use hack squats or leg presses since i dont squat anymore? Also, I would want to throw in a few MUST exercises that i do. I have to do hyperextensions and abdominal work. Since my back injury i feel that these are crucial to the health of my back, which day could i work them in or what could i substitute for them? Also, would be ok to use dumbell incline or flat instead of using dumbell decline or barbell flat bench as the workout calls for?

Oh yea, do you start the routine over on day 6 or do actually just do it once per week?

i think once per weeks that what they said

BUMP for Warrior

Originally posted by solidj55
    Oh yea, do you start the routine over on day 6 or do actually just do it once per week?
    "To recap, perform the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 1 program for six weeks (six 5-day cycles). Then, progress to the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 2 program for three weeks. After that, you'll be ready to graduate to the Advanced program."

Leg Presses will work well - you can use a heavy load with strict form in the tempo.

Phase one you could add some hyperextensions - but Phase II he has added Bent-Knee Deadlifts which will target lowerback, glutes and hamstrings pretty well.

As far as the Dumbell Decline - he says to use a Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other).. which personally I would have to really force myself to accept... seems it would work the tricpes more and I don't understand his reasoning for it. But I would take his decline angle advice 4 sure... your pecs are divided into two regions: Major and Minor (upper and lower)... and Dumbell Incline and Dumbell Decline are actually your best movements for chest.

I would recommend flat barbell long before flat dumbell - use the dumbells at their most effective angles, incline and decline. But you CAN easily build good chest size without using flat barbell presses... it's just such a mainstream movement - but it is a good one when used correctly. Especially for those with a large torso (barrel-chested) since they can get a better angle on the bar than their smaller counterparts.

Originally posted by Warrior

"To recap, perform the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 1 program for six weeks (six 5-day cycles). Then, progress to the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 2 program for three weeks. After that, you'll be ready to graduate to the Advanced program."

Leg Presses will work well - you can use a heavy load with strict form in the tempo.

Phase one you could add some hyperextensions - but Phase II he has added Bent-Knee Deadlifts which will target lowerback, glutes and hamstrings pretty well.

As far as the Dumbell Decline - he says to use a Semi-Supinated Grip (palms facing each other).. which personally I would have to really force myself to accept... seems it would work the tricpes more and I don't understand his reasoning for it. But I would take his decline angle advice 4 sure... your pecs are divided into two regions: Major and Minor (upper and lower)... and Dumbell Incline and Dumbell Decline are actually your best movements for chest.

I would recommend flat barbell long before flat dumbell - use the dumbells at their most effective angles, incline and decline. But you CAN easily build good chest size without using flat barbell presses... it's just such a mainstream movement - but it is a good one when used correctly. Especially for those with a large torso (barrel-chested) since they can get a better angle on the bar than their smaller counterparts.
    in the phaseI and phaseII i have to increse the for 4% every week or i should stick with the same weigh and leave the increasing for the advanced phase ???

Thread Information