Thread: squats

MikedaMan57 is offline Junior Member

squats

full squats BELOW PARRALEL and HEAVY.... thoughts... ????

i always thought it was unsafe to go below parallel but i just read an article in some magazine... sorry i forget which one... that supported squatting as low as possible to a full squat...heels still on the ground of course

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Yeah breaking parallel will increase your strength, or at least did for me in college. Of course I now have knee problems which I believe is from doing just that. I do know many that have done it and not have knee problems so....not sure on whether to advise doing them or not. I wouldn't go too heavy causing a tremendous strain on your knees. I'll bump ya though.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I don't think there is a large difference between going to parallel or all the way down as far a size gains go, a consideration for possible risk and possible gain is needed, personnally if and when I squat I go low but controlled and no bouncing off the calfs.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I think just below parallel is fine. Just make sure you come down slow and squeez and flex when you come back up.

nmk85roll is offline Associate Member
    My back started to kill me when i went below parallel for a few weeks. I also can't do nearly as much weight as if i stay at parallel. And personally, the explosiveness above parallel is more important to me.

Thread Information