frank rizzo is offline Junior Member

Eating while working out?

No matter how much I eat before I work out I still ALWAYS get hungry when i lift. Is it ok to eat during a workout? Or will my body use energy to digest my food instead? I usually eat a protein bar or two. Any problems with this?
    Another thing is I never go longer than 1 hour - 1.5 hours without getting hungry even after the biggest meal. So I usually eat at least 10 times a day. Is this bad or should I force myself to wait 2-3 hours between meals? I'm 6'7" 215 if that makes a difference.

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    i think this is psychological feeling hungry during workouts, i dont think its a good idea to eat during a workout, you're right it takes away energy by digesting the food, also you can get stomach cramps, takes away your concentration from lifting, not to mention other people in the gym wondering why you brought your lunch with you.. eat before or after, drink plenty of water during your workout and throughout the day, eat fiber and protein, you will be plenty full then

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    An occasional protein bar while lifting or better yet a good protein shake with a small amount of carbs would be better and easier on ya. I do this alot and see no negative results from it. As for eating 10 times a day...I wished I could. If your body fat isn't getting out of hand than stick with it.

demetri is offline Member
    A friend of mine perminately blew open the sphincter muscle that seals the stomach from the esophagus by working out (doing heavy dead lifts and squats) on a full stomach.

Nothing really bad here, he just gets acid in his throat while he sleeps. Other than this I don't see any down side, or up side to eating while working out.

I wasn't saying to workout on a full stomach....hell I'd puke all over the place. Now on days when it's been hard to get all my meals in and I get a bit hungry during a workout I'll either get a protein bar or a shake and slowy eat it during my workout. I wasn't telling the guy to eat a five course meal before or during a workout. Sorry to hear that about your friend though.

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    yes it does take energy to digest food, but i highly doubt that it will make a difference in your performance

however, on the other hand, i would feel uncomfortable working out on a full stomach...it has indigestion written all over it

i would reccomend eating something small before a workout, and pig out after. if you feel like you NEED to eat during your workout, i would stick with Big T's suggestion of a shake...just don't chug the entire thing between sets

Shakes work pretty well, just sip it as you go....NO CHUGGING!! same with protein bars.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i agree wit Big texan shakes prolly a good option

frank rizzo is offline Junior Member
    thanks for all of the advice, i actually do think it is partially psychological, but between heavy sets i just feel like i use up all of my energy so i take a bite of a protein bar because i feel it gives me energy to perform my next set. i see a lot of people at my gym drinking "carbo fuel" 70 g carbs w/ 0 g sugar, anyone try those?

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    Originally posted by frank rizzo
    thanks for all of the advice, i actually do think it is partially psychological, but between heavy sets i just feel like i use up all of my energy so i take a bite of a <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> bar because i feel it gives me energy to perform my next set. i see a lot of people at my gym drinking "carbo fuel" 70 g carbs w/ 0 g sugar, anyone try those?
    I used to drink those all the time a few years back...they were alright...i was growing well then anyway, so i don't know if they had a positive effect, but i'm sure they never hurt. for what it's worth, i would buy them again...something different than water anwyay!

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    try drinking alot of ice water while you work out and munch on the ice. i'm sure you can deal with the hunger until your post-work out meal. if not, Protein Bars should be fine. try & find some w/ low low low carbs & low calories.

darklurker88 is offline Junior Member
    Supposedly that would take away potential blood flow from the stomach and will heighten your chances of puking. Get a solid meal 30 mins before working out. Not a P bar, but say rice and teryaki chicken (homemade)

Powerball is offline New Member
    I never eat anything solid 1 hour before I go to the gym. When ever I have swayed and broken this rule I noticed that my workout wasint as good. Eating/food digestion takes the biggest toll on your body. Ever eat a big big meal and feel tired and maybe want to take a nap. A smaller amount of food may not make you tired, but for me I notice something. I do like post work out drinks - those arnt like food and are easily assimilated (more like water). Anyways, I always wait 1 hour and that works great for me.

Thread Information