Thread: deadlifts

shannah is offline New Member

deadlifts

Hey.
    I'm new to this forum, and I've been lifting weight for about 2 years now, mainly strength type lifting for football. Now that football and rugby are out of the way I want to bodybuild.
    My main question is...
    How can deadlift work your back? I've always been under the impression that deadlift is for legs<hamstrings, quads>
    If anybody can give me an educated answer, I'd be greatly appreciated.

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    different types of deads work different things

sounds like you've been doing stiff legged deads

you should try romanian deads and learn the proper form

do a search, there have been like 20 threads about deads in the last month

flexgolf is offline Member
    lotta people do deads to make their lower back thicker. not the most educated answer but withoutdoubt is right. different deadlifts work in different ways.

thanks a lot for writting back.
    Yea, I do both stiff-legged deadlifts and the other style<football style?> where you squat down, not quite like roman deadlifts where it's inbetween your legs, but in front of the body.
    Anyway, i'll try the roman deadlift out and see what happens. thanks again for your response.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I personally for back reasons' have been doing deads from about the knee's up, just recently started using them again. Less strain on the back and more on the back and even some legs. Watch the form it can't be stressed enough.
    SID

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    you don't really need to do dead-lifts to work the back. i mean, the only thing i do are:

Barbell Bent-over Row
    Cable Close Grip Pulldown
    Underhand Chin-ups
    Cable Rear Pulldowns
    Barbell Shrugs
    Dumbbell Shrugs

those are the excersizes that i do in order to work my back & traps. and my back is pretty cut up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deadlifts-damian.jpg  

demetri is offline Member
    IMO you'll never have a complete physique if you don't do the basics. Dead lifts & Squats.

Dead lifts are one of the great total body exercises. They hit everything from your little toes on up to your neck and traps. I put them on back day as I don't think I could squat and dead lift on the same day.

Squats are almost as good as dead's except they concentrate more on the lower body. With both exercise you can widen your stance to hit the hams more or narrow your stance to hit the quads more.

Do these two exercises and you'll have thick abs, thick legs, and a thick back. I never wear a belt doing these either as I feel it detracts from adding strength and thickness to your core.

Don't do these exercises and one day compete on stage and it will show, especially if the guy your next has been doing these for years.

i would have to disagree with Demetri on this one. although Deadlifts do use those muscle groups as STABILIZERS, its main focus (target) is the Gluteus Maximus. in order to work a muscle effectivly, you have to target that muscle; single it out and work it individually. Deadlifts DO NOT work the back muscles effectivly.

forgive my spelling.

Yea, that's what I thought. We have ALWAYS used them for lower body, but I have read workouts in Flex and M&F where pro-bodybuilders use them in their back workouts for some reason, this is where i get confused... but I totally agree with you Domestic

deadlifts do work the back muscles effectively!!!

a back does NOT only consist of latissimus dorsi, bodybuilders look really stupid with underdeveloped lower backs

i understand that bodybuilders look stupid with and under-developed back, but the question was exactly what muscles are they supposed to work?
    and why not do "good mornings" rather than deadlift. that seems to isolate the lower back muscles a lot more than deadlifts..
    plz respond with any comments or suggestions...
    thx

chinups Guest
    If Deadlifts don't work your lower back someone should tell my lower back because when I do deadlifts my lower back gets a pump like unbelievable.

chinups Guest
    Deads work my ass, hams, lower back, uppde back. It all depends where you concentrate and what you sqeeze...You can also do hyper ecxtensions for lower back.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Deadlifts are for back upper as well as for lower, but they also work the legs, glutes. Do straightlegged deads for more emphasize(spelling) on hams and glutes. For all those that say that deadlifts don't work your back are doing something wrong.....or you truly don't know what a deadlift really is.

Originally posted by shannah
    Yea, that's what I thought. We have ALWAYS used them for lower body, but I have read workouts in Flex and M&F where pro-bodybuilders use them in their back workouts for some reason, this is where i get confused... but I totally agree with you Domestic
    What do those pro's know about bodybuilding anyway? Do you think they'd look that much better if they quit wasting they're time on such an exersise?

Kato is offline Member
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't BIG GUY throw up a post where he does deads off a rack w/ the bar even or a little lower than his knees? He said it was a MUST FOR MASS. And it is easier on your back.

cdog is offline Associate Member

Yeah right is this what jay cutler told you?

. Deadlifts DO NOT work the back muscles effectivly.

forgive my spelling. [/B][/QUOTE]

flexgolf is offline Member
    how does deads work ur upper back....ive never felt any strain on my upper back doin any kind of deads. i think cable back rows are the best exercise. i do a large range of motion and it get a total back workout. i do add other things as well but cable back rows has given me more gains in mass and appearance than any other back exercise.

well, you guys can think whatever you want but Deadlifts do not work the back muscles EFFECTIVLY. they use those muscles as stabilizers so they do get worked but not EFFECTIVLY. you DO NOT do a deadlift to work the lower back. try Hyperextensions for that.

and Cdog, fuck you & your smart ass comments. i don't need Jay Cutler, its common since you moron. try READING and looking at what muscles it targets.

if you people want a developed lower back, try doing excersizes that work the lower back EFFECTIVLY. such as Hyperextensions or Goodmornings? but yea, be my guest if you want to waste time & energy doing deadlifts to work the back when its DESIGNED TO WORK THE FUCKING GLUTE.

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Domestic no need to be so salty I like you bro why such the hard feelings.................
    Last edited by cdog; 05-20-2003 at 11:09 AM.

Hey Peter North.
    Thank you for your advice. Have you ever heard of Mike Dayton? He used to train with Arnold back in the 70's. Anyway, he's a trainer at my gym!! So I will have to go and get his advice.
    I thank you again for your response. You have helped me out a lot.
    Thx

Originally posted by Domestic
    well, you guys can think whatever you want but Deadlifts do not work the back muscles EFFECTIVLY. they use those muscles as stabilizers so they do get worked but not EFFECTIVLY. you DO NOT do a deadlift to work the lower back. try Hyperextensions for that.
    You got it bang on domestic, you wouldn't use dead lifts to target the lower back. The lower back muscles aren't meant for that kind of a load.
    Your abs do more to keep your spin erect than your lower back.

Dead lifts are a great total body exercise (as stated before). They seem to fit in best on back days (at least for me) and I've certainly noticed the impact on my physique since having started them a couple of years ago.

When I do dead lifts I feel it at first working my legs, then glutes, then traps, shoulders, and finally at the top of the range I feel it hit my lats. I feel my abs being worked through the entire range and I do feel it hit my lower back as well.

Yes there are more effective ways of training every muscle that dead lifts hit. Why not just by Bow Flex and get your superior workout at home? Give the deads a try for a few months and you'll be a believer.

wannabmassive is offline Associate Member
    well after doing dead lifts u will realize that its ur bak thats feeling it not yo legs im speaking from the pain i have from yesterday wehn i lifted 100kg which is 2 plates on each side , man wht a rush

Originally posted by demetri

Why not just by Bow Flex and get your superior workout at home?
    too good

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes i love Dead lifts !! I got a big ole Ghetto Ass because of them. My back might be small but damm I got ass The are effectively working my Ghetto Onion:

Maybe I should check out that Bow Flex??:
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Bow Flex is actually a good peice of fitness equitment. not to get HUGE but if you wanted to burn fat and cut up alittle bit then yes, it is a good peice of equitment. my cousin has one and i worked out on his a few times and its pretty good. i mean, i can do 410lb tricep extensions on it but 65 excersizes with decent resistance.

don't get me wrong, nothing compares to Free Weights but the Bowflex is an okay machine. i think i'm going to buy that Cross Bow machine when i start college since i won't have time to hit the gym and won't have room for my Free Weight machines.

cdog, sorry bout that bro but i don't take kindly to people who laugh at me when i'm just posting what i know from experience. i mean, i'm only 18 years old but i do know alot and i'm built better then alot of grown men on roids.

18 years old
    17.5" biceps
    50" chest
    228lbs
    11% body fat
    300lbs x 7
    350lbs x 3
    375lbs x 1

darklurker88 is offline Junior Member
    Its simple everyone.
    Once youre at the top of the movement, pull your shoulder blades back and flex your back. With all the weight youre carrying thats a hell of a strain.

Thread Information